· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 20g FW to SW

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

have a pressie :-) - mitcore   Something he doesn't have - Lady Hobbs   Merry Christmas - Lady Hobbs   Donuts are yummy! - AquaBison   Merry Christmas to you as well. - ILuvMyGoldBarb   

0 Not allowed!
    Okay, so it would be worth investing the extra $20 to get that instead of a hyrgometer? I think the answer is yes, but I just want to be sure. And another question. Does the clown goby require pods?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for you buddy - angelcakes   Have a gift, also! - Tigerbarb   Yo - Soxfan   Have another - Soxfan   Make it 3! - Soxfan   

0 Not allowed!
    hygrometer measures the humidity not the salinity

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

have a pressie :-) - mitcore   Something he doesn't have - Lady Hobbs   Merry Christmas - Lady Hobbs   Donuts are yummy! - AquaBison   Merry Christmas to you as well. - ILuvMyGoldBarb   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by xximanoobxx
    hygrometer measures the humidity not the salinity
    lol. Sorry, I meant hydrometer. I'll have the plan up in a few minutes.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

god im hungry - cocoa_pleco   You make me laugh! - Drumachine09   And lots of pizza too! lol - Chrona   wish i had some of this to drink right now - cocoa_pleco   DAAAAAM, this drink looks good - cocoa_pleco   
    Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - cocoa_pleco   Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - cocoa_pleco   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - cocoa_pleco   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - cocoa_pleco   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - cocoa_pleco   

0 Not allowed!
    alot better investment, hydrometers arent always accurate

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Okay, thanks for that info, still wondering about clown goby.
    And here comes the plan...

Starting Plan

Tank size: 20g
    Lighting: 2x65w PC
    Substrate: Sand with aragonite
    LR: 10 20lbs.
    Clean-up crew: Turbo snails x? Cleaner shrimp x?
    Fish: 2 oscellaris clowns and a clown goby

QT:

Tank size: 10g
    Lighting: 15w fluorescent
    Substrate: none
    LR: none
    Decor: plastic object(for hiding)
    EDIT- Filter: sponge filter

Medicine Cabinet:

Formalin
    Sodium Bicarbonate
    De-wormer
    Maracyn Two

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for you buddy - angelcakes   Have a gift, also! - Tigerbarb   Yo - Soxfan   Have another - Soxfan   Make it 3! - Soxfan   

0 Not allowed!
    the QT still needs LR, it's the most important thing in the SW aquarium...
    U also might want hermit crabs, astreas, nassarius, or cerith..
    U also need powerheads.. I recommend Koralia 1...
    Also protein skimmers are recommended but not required..
    U need a heater...
    U need a thermometer...
    U need a SW keeping book for research purposes....
    Aragonite is pretty much the sand... It's not sand with aragonite..
    it's pretty much aragonite crushed into pieces..
    U need to research more before getting into SW

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    IDK why I left out the heater and thermometer. I was also thinking a Koralia Nano powerhead(fits my budget better, although paying an extra couple bucks for a Kor. 1 isn't too bad).

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    What else do u need?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the nice post - Lady Hobbs   a gift your you! - squirt_12   beautiful blue discus - Algenco   felt like it - Lady Hobbs   for all the help! - squirt_12   
    Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - ILuvMyGoldBarb   

0 Not allowed!
    You may not want to rely on sodium bicarbonate entirely for your buffering. Something I just recently learned from a university professor about using it is that over a period of time, sodium bicarbonate actually will lower your salinity. The bicarbonate gets used great and does a wonderful job of buffering but the sodium ion has to go somewhere and it ends up lowering your salinity. You can fight against that without too much difficulty, but be aware that if you are going to use sodium bicarbonate as your buffer you need to periodically check your salinity and adjust it as necessary. I personally use it and I know Kaybee does as well, but I check my salinity everyso often, Just a heads up.

You need to look into you CUC a bit more as well. Not all critters eat the same thing. If you can get you hands on a couple of back issues of Tropical Fish Hobbyist, there was a great pair of articles recently on reef CUCs. It explained what each snail and hermit ate and how they contributed to the clean up.

Have a look at the Fission Nano Protein Skimmer. They are a good choice for a small tank.

You also need to look into getting more live rock. 20 lbs would be the absolute bare minimum you should get. 30lbs would be better.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here ya go. - Tigerbarb   A little something for a friend!! - Patriot   Thanks for being there! - NickFish   have a gift - mitcore   :D - harls_aussie   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ILuvMyGoldBarb
    You may not want to rely on sodium bicarbonate entirely for your buffering. Something I just recently learned from a university professor about using it is that over a period of time, sodium bicarbonate actually will lower your salinity. The bicarbonate gets used great and does a wonderful job of buffering but the sodium ion has to go somewhere and it ends up lowering your salinity. You can fight against that without too much difficulty, but be aware that if you are going to use sodium bicarbonate as your buffer you need to periodically check your salinity and adjust it as necessary. I personally use it and I know Kaybee does as well, but I check my salinity everyso often, Just a heads up.

You need to look into you CUC a bit more as well. Not all critters eat the same thing. If you can get you hands on a couple of back issues of Tropical Fish Hobbyist, there was a great pair of articles recently on reef CUCs. It explained what each snail and hermit ate and how they contributed to the clean up.

Have a look at the Fission Nano Protein Skimmer. They are a good choice for a small tank.

You also need to look into getting more live rock. 20 lbs would be the absolute bare minimum you should get. 30lbs would be better.
    Lol, guess who used 9 lbs of dead rock, 10 lbs of live sand, waited 2 weeks, added 2 lbs of live rock a minute before acclimating his first fish who was only drip acclimated for 5 minutes, and was able to have a coral polyp grow under 15 watts of T8 light in a 20g/housed a tomato clown for nearly two months? Oh, also, my shrimp shedded twice since I got him, and he was only drip acclimated for 5 minutes.
    Written in red...
    Last edited by Tigerbarb; 10-05-2008 at 04:04 PM.
    "Everybody knows, you only live a day, but it's brilliant anyway..."
    Elliott smith

20g nano reef
    55g FOWLR saltwater
    29g planted freshwater
    10g planted freshwater