· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reality Check

0 Not allowed!
    This is exactly why I do not dabble with salt tanks. I have found the whole experience very very intimidating, and since dealing with salt tanks is extremely expensive, losing a setup do to me being to headstrong to listen to advice, and losing it all, leaves me in a position to say, nope, not for me. I love them, they are beautiful, they create a feeling that is unlike anything that I can imagine, yet I am too intimidated to even try. Guess that saves a bunch of lives......

Thanks for the reminder ILMGB
    75 gallon planted tank with discus, GBR's and cardinals

135 gallon saltwater FOWLR work in progress and desperately need help

Awards Showcase

Here ya go. - Tigerbarb A little something for a friend!! - Patriot Thanks for being there! - NickFish have a gift - mitcore :D - harls_aussie 
    I hope your dwarf gourami gets better!!! - Blue Ram A little something for my troubles - Tigerbarb Here you go mate! - Tolley My gift, lol - Tigerbarb Another one of my gifts lol - Tigerbarb 
    happy birthday - digger MORE!!! - Tigerbarb thanks! - The Red Severum you have no frog lol - angelcakes the closest thing to a moorish idol :) - Tigerbarb 
    here you go :) - OscarFan Have an oscar bud! - Soxfan For you my homie - xximanoobxx Happy Holidays - travie Merry Christmas - KingFisher 

0 Not allowed!
    Excellent post, Goldbarb! I definitly agree that marine tanks are nothing to fool around with or jump into. Although this is true, aquariusts who know what they are doing in freshwater should be encouraged to take the plunge.

All it takes is dedication, research, and the willingness to put one's time & money into the hobby. I would definitly do alot of research, but there's nothing intimidating about the marine aquarium hobby. I was intimidated by everyone I knew, until I came to this site. Everyone would just talk down about saltwater, giving off unnecessary advice. I went ahead anyway, after joining AC, and found that it was just like freshwater, just different. I will say this again, but saltwater is not difficult in any way and should not be intimidating at all, just as long as you know what you're doing.
    Last edited by Tigerbarb; 10-06-2008 at 04:03 AM.
    "Everybody knows, you only live a day, but it's brilliant anyway..."
    Elliott smith

20g nano reef
    55g FOWLR saltwater
    29g planted freshwater
    10g planted freshwater

0 Not allowed!
    Ha. I wanted, originally, to start up my first tank in a decade or so as saltwater - nearly died when I realized how much it would cost...I believe it breaks down to at least $50/gallon. Maybe when I'm rich...

Money is oftentimes overlooked until it is too late, in my experience...and when living creatures of any kind are concerned money is most important.
    -Aude

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aude
    Ha. I wanted, originally, to start up my first tank in a decade or so as saltwater - nearly died when I realized how much it would cost...I believe it breaks down to at least $50/gallon. Maybe when I'm rich...

Money is oftentimes overlooked until it is too late, in my experience...and when living creatures of any kind are concerned money is most important.

It is a sizeable investment but some of the cost you are able to spread out over time. Nothing should be overlooked untill it's too late though. If you don't have the means to keep something then it should be no where near your tank.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Awesome post GB.

Oldhead, I don't think GB's post was intended to scare people from the dark side of marine tanks. I think it was more to encourage those considering it to learn before they endeavor!

As far as cost, yes.....it is expensive. But even ROAB (reefer on a budget) can afford a reef tank. It just takes alot more planning and alot longer. I am by no means wealthy, nor am I what most people consider even comfortable financially. However, I still have a reef tank. A thriving one at that. Go figure.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I didn't think it would scare people so much as I thought it would help them to take the higher road. Well I guess some people might scare from it. I know I would, I can't imagine my system crashing the thought would seriously keep me up at night,lol. Anyhow, this did really need to be said.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Great thread, now I realise that since I'll have to wait till Christmas to get all the equipment and supplies is actually a good thing. This is true because it gives me 2 more months to research and ask questions. Rather than the month or less I was originally planning. Taking the time of only about 3 or 4 months of research to 5 or 6. Still low, but definitly better.

0 Not allowed!
    That's great. 5-6 is not a bad timeframe at all. As someone pointed out, the quality of the research can go a long way towards speeding things up. Also, your ability to learn it plays a big factor.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Good advice for most things in life I would think where the care of animals is concerned ... from the humblest freshwater goldfish bowl to the new puppy at Christmas ...

Wise words indeed ILMGB

You can have it done good, cheap, and fast. Pick any two.
    80g (300L) - Discus, Silver Dollars, Corys, Kuhlis, Zebras, Bristlenose Plecs, Flying Foxes, Bumblebee Gobies, Bolivian Rams and a Whiptail Catfish.
    18g (60L) - Lake Tanganyika tank with 3 Neolamprologus multifasciatus and 13 Neon Tetras.
    10g (38L) - 2 male Betta Splendens (Crowntails) - Optimus Prime & Megatron
    Pond (350-450g) - 9 Goldfish, Comets, Shebumpkins & 2 Yabbies.
    Diary Of A Madman (My Blog)

10. Default Very well said.

0 Not allowed!
    Nice quote too:)