· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Anyone that had a trio of angels deserves a gift. - Brookfish   Thanks for all the help in PM - Taurus   Great pic! - Brookfish   You need a bigger school of angels! lol - Northernguy   Heres a neon for your tank! - Northernguy   

Smile Nic's Aquarium Journal

0 Not allowed!
    I know that I'm pretty new to the site but I thought I would start one of these journals. I actually had done an aquarium blog in the past, on my personal site, but it was taken down by hackers about 8 months ago. Bummer. For the last 5 years or so I was exclusively breeding angelfish. Due to a lack of time and people to sell the fish to I've decided to move most of my tanks into community tanks. Below Is a description of my tanks.

29G Angelfish Tank
    6 Angelfish
    1 Upside down catfish
    Narrow leaf java fern, broad leaf java fern
    This tank is the last of the angelfish that I have. At the moment there are 6 angelfish in the tank (3M, 3F); 1 Dark, 1 Gold Marble, 1 Marble, 3 Gold Ghosts. Things are getting a little crowded at the moment so I am looking to find a new home for 2 of the gold ghosts. Although I don't recommend it, from my experience, angelfish can be overcrowded without a problem. The secret it to make sure you remove any eggs that the females may lay in the tank. This can be done by hand, but a much easier solution is to simply supply the tank with a mildly aggressive catfish. I find that upside down cats work great for this. They keep to themselves during the day, then at night will eat the eggs while its dark.

29G Tetra Tank
    18-20 Neon Tetras
    2 Emperor Tetras
    1 Rainbow Shark
    Narrow and Broadleaf Ludwig, Narrow Leaf Java Fern
    I've wanted to do a swarm tank for a long time now. My first attempt was a failure due to some ick that wiped out my first school. After cleaning up the tank and re-cyclying I'm giving it another try. On the day that I wrote this I swapped out the zebras (which I kept in the tank to hold the cycle) and put in the tetras and shark from above. As this tank gets settled (or not) I will add more entries.

20G Molly/Platty Tank
    3 Platties (3F)
    3 Mollies (2M, 1F)
    1 Panda Cory
    Narrow and Broad Leaf Ludwig. Broadleaf Java Fern
    This is really my wifes tank. She loves mollies/platties so we setup a tank for fish that she likes. Although I've had some problems with my other fish in the last few months, these mollies/platties were super easy. No problems, no hassle. I wish my other fish were this easy. I've been trying to breed some of the fry from this tank. Unfortunatly I haven't seen any fry in the tank yet. There is also an odd fog to the water that I can't seem to clear up even though the water chemistry seems fine.

20G Fancy Guppy Colony Tank
    7-10 Adult Fancy Guppies
    ?? Fry-Juvenile Guppies
    Watersprite, Stargrass, Green/Sunset Hygro, Apons, Red Crypts
    This is my new favorite tank. I setup the tank initially as a guppy tank with 6 pairs. Within a few weeks there were fry EVERYWHERE! Unfortunately I had a heater malfunction and lost a number of the adults, although a few fry survived. After adding a few adults back into the tank things are more stable again and going really well. I love that the tank is a thriving colony. With a quick look at the tank while I write this I can see 6-8 fry of different ages swimming around the tank.

10G Farm Tank
    Misc Plants (listed above)
    This tank is mostly used to grow extra plants for sale, trade or use in my tanks.

2 x 2G Betta Tank
    These tanks have my wife and my bettas in them. My wife has had her betta for about 3 years now (yellow crowntail). My betta is younger, about a year or so (blue/red crowntail). Both tanks are planted. At the moment my tank actually has plants that I gathered from my fathers pond. After quarantining the plants I am now attempting to grow them, and having some success.

If you have any questions/comments about my tanks, fish or plants let me know. I am still in the process of setting up a number of these tank so I will continue to add entries in the days, weeks, and months to come. :-)
    75G Planted Blue Themed Community Tank:
    Neon Tetras, Blue Platties, Blue Guppies, Blue Snails, & a pleco
    with 4 hang off breeder tanks for Blue/Red Platty Project

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

time for some gifts - Lady Hobbs   fish for your new tank - Lady Hobbs   more - Lady Hobbs   Congratulations on cycling! - fins_n_fur   Congrats on your award! - Brookfish   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic
    These tanks have my wife and my bettas in them.
    Wow! You're wife lives in a two gallon tank! LOL J/K

That is a great write up, and it sounds like you are going to have a lot of fun with these tanks Keep us updated.
    75 Gallon Malawi

35 Gallon Juvie Demasoni

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a drink on me - Dave66   From a fellow BC boy - sailor   For making a great game - Futureboy   thanks for the rep. - robnepper   Congrats on your Gold Award :) - SkinnyChicken   
    Autism - doug z   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - doug z   

0 Not allowed!
    Cool!

Got any pics?
    75g - 20 cardinals : 7 panda cory : 5 Julii cory : 9 zebra danios : 1 CAE : 2 SAE : 2 yo-yos : 1 BN
    25g: 5 long-finned zebra danios

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Anyone that had a trio of angels deserves a gift. - Brookfish   Thanks for all the help in PM - Taurus   Great pic! - Brookfish   You need a bigger school of angels! lol - Northernguy   Heres a neon for your tank! - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    Here are some pics. They were taken during feeding time so a lot of the fish are at the top and not quite visible. Hopefully this weekend I can get some better ones up.

29G Angelfish Tank

29G Tetra Tank

20G Molly/Platty Tank

20G Guppy Colony Tank

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy halloween! - Tigerbarb   I hope you are feeling better - KingFisher   Thanks for leaving a message on my blog xxx - Fishalicious   Thanks! - Wild Turkey   Happy Holidays! - fins_n_fur   

0 Not allowed!
    very nice tanks. Thanks for sharing.
    55g- blood parrots, SAE, bristlenose plecos
    75G-oscar

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a drink on me - Dave66   From a fellow BC boy - sailor   For making a great game - Futureboy   thanks for the rep. - robnepper   Congrats on your Gold Award :) - SkinnyChicken   
    Autism - doug z   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - doug z   

0 Not allowed!
    Nice!

What's that background plant in the tetra tank?
    75g - 20 cardinals : 7 panda cory : 5 Julii cory : 9 zebra danios : 1 CAE : 2 SAE : 2 yo-yos : 1 BN

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

tribute to digga r.i.p - angelcakes   Your Awesome! - Tolley   happy easter to me........LOL - angelcakes   Thank you for the nomination and sorry for the fishy - Billythefish   Probably the nicest members on the forum... - Goshawk   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - angelcakes   HIV/AIDS - angelcakes   

0 Not allowed!
    nice looking tanks
    angelcakes (penny)
    "The big fish eats the small one."
    -- Sephardic saying

chat link
    http://theaquaticlounge.chatango.com/

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    The tetra tank has been through a few revisions. At the moment (in the picture) I have what I call narrow leaf ludwig across the back. I purchased it a while ago and have propogated it quite a bit. Unfortunatly I don't think its actually a ludwig, I suspect that its really Dwarf Rotala but what I have never really looks like the pics I've seen online. Overall it grows quite nicely, great green, pink and red coloring. Reasonably easy to propogate, as with most stem plants, and it will send out runners if its left in one place for long enough.

There is also a couple broadleaf ludwigs around the filter intake becuase they are a little stronger so the intake doesn't beat them up as much. In the middlegroud is a line of narrow leaf java fern that the neons like to dart in and out of.

A quick update on the Tetra Tank as well. Unfortunatly the Emperor Tetras didn't take. I bought 3, one of which dissapeared within a few hours. I'm still not sure where that one went. The other two were acting weird so I pulled them and put them into quaranteen and they passed away during the day. the didn't look sick I think the water here is just hard to keep some tetras in (I had a similar problem with rummynose) On the up side the neon tetras are doing great! I'm so happy. I'm going to run down to the store at lunch tomorrow and grab another handful of the same ones.

Now I need to find some kind of "centerpeice" fish for the tank....

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Just be sure to QT the new neons.. :)

You can't go wrong with a nice piece of driftwood for a centerpiece..

Make sure you put dead center, though, as it looks more visually interesting and natural if it is off center.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a gift - Lady Hobbs   Have a beer on me - sailor   Fresh outta the Chesapeke...maybe..lol - jbeining75   happy 21st birthday yay - angelcakes   Happy birthday! - Tigerbarb   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - turkey151   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - turkey151   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - Wild Turkey   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Wild Turkey   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Wild Turkey   

0 Not allowed!
    Search the floor around the tank for the missing fish. Tanks look great btw