· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snail Free?!

1. Default Snail Free?!

0 Not allowed!
    I just bought some plants from LiveAquaria.com. The plants came very fast and were packaged so none of the plants were damaged. I normaly take the plants, put them in a bowl, fill it up with water and put in a bunch of had-a-snail. Ill leave it like that for a few hours, just to make sure. This time I did not do that. I then noticed a small snail in the tank. Now im going to have to kill off all of my water fleas and shrimp to get rid of these snails.

My question, what are the plant stores that gaurentee snail free? If there are none, what are some of the better stores to order from?

I sent an email to liveAquaria and they wrote back in about an hour. They gave me a refund and appoligized. I guess they did not lose me as a coustomer.
    -BotanicalBill of SW Florida

20g High planted.
    2 neons; 3 skirted tetra; 1 corey; 3 otos; 4-5 glass shrimp; water feas
    DIY modified hood with new ballast and 4 bulbs (60w)

0 Not allowed!
    Pretty hard, I would think, to get snail free plants from anywhere. Many of them get their plants imported and hundreds at a time and snail eggs adhere to make it more difficult to remove. Best way is do as you always did and dip them first.

I rather let my snails go and stopped my daily kill mission and now my tank is loaded with them and I hate them! You could get some loaches if you want to keep the population down in your tank.

Living in Victoria, Canada; Born in Mexico City

Awards Showcase

My neons and other fishies thank you for your help!! - fishymommy For the good health of your plants and their strong growth! - W_Oz have a guppy, lol, we have about 60 fry - labnjab ahh you need more gifts!! - The Red Severum Why have I never gave you a gift?! - Tolley 
    Thanks for all! - saurjusa I'm getting myself a school of these guys!!! lol! - Alfcea You need a bigger school! - The Red Severum Have a gift my friend - Tolley Thought you could use something new. - oldhead 
    getting a bigger school... - Alfcea Happy X-mas - William Thank you!  Also a very merry christmas to you xxx - Fishalicious Merry X-Mas!! - The Red Severum Merry Christmas !!! - Tolley 
    Have a Wonderful Holiday! - Northernguy Happy Belated New Years - W_Oz Thanks for the positive feedback! - rageybug just sharing the wealth! - rageybug Thanks for the nom and the kind words! - Brookfish 

0 Not allowed!
    I usually dip my plants for a couple of hours in dilute potassium permanganate (KMnO4) and rub them very well with a toothbrush. It is not as hard on the plants as had-a-snail and kills all the eggs... though I don't think it kills "adult" snails...

I am sorry that you had that experience... and I agree with Hobbs, I don't think there are any suppliers out there who guarantee that their plants are snail free!
    By Alfredo Franco-Cea
    30 gallon tank -- low light -- tannin stained water
    FAUNA: 7 zebra danios; 5 neon tetras; one male green swordtail; 2 female adult platies (plus fry); 6 bleeding heart tetras; 6 false rummy nose tetras
    FLORA: Anubias, Java Moss, Ceratophyllum, Java Fern, Windeløv's Fern

4. Default Why not this

0 Not allowed!
    Why do not the sellers then load there tanks with copper to sell a better product? Im starting to think they like us to get snails, either way we buy a product, had a snail or similar, or we buy more plants cause they get chewed up by snails.

20g High planted.

Living in Victoria, Canada; Born in Mexico City

Awards Showcase

My neons and other fishies thank you for your help!! - fishymommy For the good health of your plants and their strong growth! - W_Oz have a guppy, lol, we have about 60 fry - labnjab ahh you need more gifts!! - The Red Severum Why have I never gave you a gift?! - Tolley 
    Thanks for all! - saurjusa I'm getting myself a school of these guys!!! lol! - Alfcea You need a bigger school! - The Red Severum Have a gift my friend - Tolley Thought you could use something new. - oldhead 
    getting a bigger school... - Alfcea Happy X-mas - William Thank you!  Also a very merry christmas to you xxx - Fishalicious Merry X-Mas!! - The Red Severum Merry Christmas !!! - Tolley 
    Have a Wonderful Holiday! - Northernguy Happy Belated New Years - W_Oz Thanks for the positive feedback! - rageybug just sharing the wealth! - rageybug Thanks for the nom and the kind words! - Brookfish 

0 Not allowed!
    Well, copper is toxic to plants, right? If they used copper in all their tanks, you wouldn;t buy the plants because they would look ugly, ragged and unhealthy... just a thought...
    By Alfredo Franco-Cea
    30 gallon tank -- low light -- tannin stained water
    FAUNA: 7 zebra danios; 5 neon tetras; one male green swordtail; 2 female adult platies (plus fry); 6 bleeding heart tetras; 6 false rummy nose tetras
    FLORA: Anubias, Java Moss, Ceratophyllum, Java Fern, Windeløv's Fern

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    and if they treated the plants with copper they would get heaps of customers complaining that the plants killed their mystery snails.

I honestly don't see the big deal about snails. If you don't overfeed the population will stay small and be hardly noticable. They will eat algae and leftover food and they are so small they will hardly do any damage to plants.

In my opinion, you were not entitled to a refund, unless their site specifically says they guarantee snail free plants.

Across the great pond from the state of Seattle

Awards Showcase

have an octopus - angelcakes a clownfish for your super sense of humor!!!! - ladyoutlaw50 doning the superman suit - Lady Hobbs Let's have a Drink ;) - Fishalicious For the wife! - Lady Hobbs 
    thanks buddy for your help - angelcakes somebody gotta show you love :) - The Red Severum Thanks for all your help with my cherries!! Crawfish was the closest to a CS - Gemini Thanks for the photo lesson! - northernguy Have a drink on me.. hope tomorrow is a better day x - Fishalicious 
    welcome back! - Jacko 

0 Not allowed!
    Snails are part of a well balanced tank, but if they bother you that much save them up and send them to me I could always use more.... Mine keep getting eaten.;-)
    This posting was approved by:
    William S. Burt

All words in this post are completly fictional, any resemblence to actual words is strictly a cowinky dink. No Animals were harmed in the making of this post. Now as far as Humans go there were probably a few hurt and maybe even killed. Please do not copy and paste this post with out the expressed written consent of the owner. Quoting is allowed but only too boost the owners already over inflated ego.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have water fleas, otos, corys and shrimp to clean the tank. I just hate the look of snails and I know my plants will not like them. To my knowlege, copper is only toxic to plants in high doses but inhibits root growth.

Like I said in my orginal post, this was my own fault, I didnt clean the plants when I recieved them. I was just curious if there were any snail free gaurentees out there.

Thanks for the replys.

Im realy liking this site.
    Last edited by botanicalbill; 10-02-2008 at 07:48 AM.

20g High planted.

Across the great pond from the state of Seattle

Awards Showcase

have an octopus - angelcakes a clownfish for your super sense of humor!!!! - ladyoutlaw50 doning the superman suit - Lady Hobbs Let's have a Drink ;) - Fishalicious For the wife! - Lady Hobbs 
    thanks buddy for your help - angelcakes somebody gotta show you love :) - The Red Severum Thanks for all your help with my cherries!! Crawfish was the closest to a CS - Gemini Thanks for the photo lesson! - northernguy Have a drink on me.. hope tomorrow is a better day x - Fishalicious 
    welcome back! - Jacko 

0 Not allowed!
    Most snails seen in the aquarium trade will not eat plants. More than likely you have MTS or Pond snails and both do not bother healthy plants but will eat the dead and dying plant matter. I do not know of any place that will give a snail free gaurentee except maybe if you buy some of those plants that come in the tubes at the big chain stores.

So since you do not like the look of snails then that rules out assassin snails to clear out your other problem.:-)

When you say water fleas I assume you are talking about Scuds...? Did you culture them or did you catch them yourself... Mine are wild probably came in on plants I collected.
    This posting was approved by:
    William S. Burt

All words in this post are completly fictional, any resemblence to actual words is strictly a cowinky dink. No Animals were harmed in the making of this post. Now as far as Humans go there were probably a few hurt and maybe even killed. Please do not copy and paste this post with out the expressed written consent of the owner. Quoting is allowed but only too boost the owners already over inflated ego.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    When ever I go to Petco, or Petsmart, they always have these plants inside these tubed containers, that they sell.

On the package it always says "Snail-Free", and its true, I bought these a while back and hasn't seen a snail slimming around my tank ever since.

Of course these plants in the containers are expensive, and there are also plants that Petco (I'm not sure if Petsmart has these) keeps in a huge tank, and these are cheaper than the plants in the containers, but they do have a possibility of carrying snails.

If you do want to buy plants from the big tank at your local Petco, then I would say: let the plant sit in an unused tank for a while, and add some snail-riding chemicals.

So which ever way you go, good luck!
    Ninjas! Thousands of them!