· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brackish water?

1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    brackish water is basicly in between fresh and salt water most aussie native that i have live in brackish waters silver scats sleepy cods eeltail cats barramundi and so on

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So, how would one go about creating a brackish water tank from scratch? What materials are needed? How should the water test as far as nitrites/nitrates, ph, hardness and so on?
    10g - Planted - Male and Female Betta, 2 Gold Mystery Snails, Cherry Shrimp and a ton of Ghost Shrimp.

10g - Planted - 5 Neon Tetras, 4 Cherry Barbs a boat load of snails and Ghost Shrimp

36g - Planted - 4 Electric Yellows, 1 Albino Arautus, 1 Yellow Finned Acei, 1 Male Red Jeweled, 1 12"+ Pleco(ready for a new home. Any Takers?)

0 Not allowed!
    A proper brackish environment requires marine salt. Testing for nitrites, nitrates, hardness, and Ph would all be done normally. Depending on weather it is low or high brackish you would use either a FW or SW ammonia kit. API makes it easy because they include the chart for both FW and SW. There are really no specialized test kits for brackish.
    There's really no special equipment need to set up a brackish tank, with the sole exception of a hydrometer or refractometer. I'd recommend the refractometer for the sake of accuracy. As for the rest, you can decorate it however you like. There are some plants that can tollerate a brackish environment so you could find some of those.

BTW, Mollies are not brackish fish, they are in fact what is known as a Freshwater euryhaline species. Simply put, they are a fresh water species that is capable of adapting to wide range of salinities, all the way up to, and including, full marine.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ILuvMyGoldBarb
    A proper brackish environment requires marine salt. Testing for nitrites, nitrates, hardness, and Ph would all be done normally. Depending on weather it is low or high brackish you would use either a FW or SW ammonia kit. API makes it easy because they include the chart for both FW and SW. There are really no specialized test kits for brackish.
    There's really no special equipment need to set up a brackish tank, with the sole exception of a hydrometer or refractometer. I'd recommend the refractometer for the sake of accuracy. As for the rest, you can decorate it however you like. There are some plants that can tollerate a brackish environment so you could find some of those.

BTW, Mollies are not brackish fish, they are in fact what is known as a Freshwater euryhaline species. Simply put, they are a fresh water species that is capable of adapting to wide range of salinities, all the way up to, and including, full marine.
    Thanks for the information. I am setting up a brackish water tank asap as my green spotted puffer will need it as he gets older.
    10g - Planted - Male and Female Betta, 2 Gold Mystery Snails, Cherry Shrimp and a ton of Ghost Shrimp.

10g - Planted - 5 Neon Tetras, 4 Cherry Barbs a boat load of snails and Ghost Shrimp

36g - Planted - 4 Electric Yellows, 1 Albino Arautus, 1 Yellow Finned Acei, 1 Male Red Jeweled, 1 12"+ Pleco(ready for a new home. Any Takers?)

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have heard of people who live near the sea who collect sea water which they then mix with tap water to create brackish water. I'm not sure of the amount they used, but I think it was 3 buckets of sea water to 7 buckets of tap water.

But of course that would vary depending on how salty you want it.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm sorry to barge in here with my own molly breeding issue. but you know your stuff. I started to breed three of my balloon molly's and one got Shimmy Syndrome. I was told that meant they needed electrolyte's = salt. Why is this if mollies are FW.....is it because they are pregnant?
    Fish Make Me Happy!

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Filterfish, this thread is coming up to five years old.

Might want to make a new one!

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    okay thanks
    Fish Make Me Happy!