· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Can even a planted tank be low on oxygen?

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry for the beginner question:

I've noticed my red minors are hanging with their mouth to the surface, and even my pleco is rushing to the surface..just like a cory cat does sometimes.

I have a pretty moderately planted system, but could I not have enough oxygen in the system? I used to have an Ario Aerator in the tank, but I took it out because I thought it looked mildly cheesy. I can put it back if it I need to though!

And no, I do not own a kit that can test O2

thanks a lot!

"The plastic tips at the end of shoelaces are called aglets, and their true purpose is sinister.."

Aquatic Community Chat Room: http://theaquaticlounge.chatango.com/

Awards Showcase

Have a drink on me - Dave66 From a fellow BC boy - sailor For making a great game - Futureboy thanks for the rep. - robnepper Congrats on your Gold Award :) - SkinnyChicken 
    To make up for not voting you in...lol :) - MeganL3985 Have a great trip! - MeganL3985 Happy B'day - donvichu sounds like you need a beer Doug - sailor Nice job on new tank - Lady Hobbs 
    tribbles - Commodore 64 One more for the school! - Wild Turkey Seasons Greetings, have anice Christmas. - Brookfish Feliz Navidad !!! - Alfcea Happy Holidays! - Wild Turkey 
    Merry Christmas - Northernguy Congrats TOTM - Northernguy Happy Birthday Mate - fraggle Thanks, good to see you back! - Brookfish 
    Autism - doug z Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - doug z 

0 Not allowed!
    One way to find out..

Put the air back on, see if the behavior goes away..

And yes, a planted tank ESPECIALLY can get low on O2, as BOTH the plants and the fish respire..

True, the plants produce O2 in the day through photosynthesis, and use up C02 through the same process..

But they are at the same time taking in O2, as well..

It's just that they end up producing more 02 than they use through respiration, and so they are thought of as net O2 producers, which they are.... during the day..

But at night, they don't produce 02, and they don't take in C02..

They DO keep respiring though, and using up O2 and producing C02, just like fish..

So you have to be careful especially in the early, early morning, and especially with heavily planted tanks, that you aren't getting low in the 02..

So turn the air on at night with a timer, see if that helps..
    Last edited by doug z; 10-01-2008 at 05:27 AM.
    75g - 20 cardinals : 7 panda cory : 5 Julii cory : 9 zebra danios : 1 CAE : 2 SAE : 2 yo-yos : 1 BN
    25g: 5 long-finned zebra danios

0 Not allowed!
    Holy,
    There are electronic testers that can tell you what the dissolved Oxygen levels are, but by the behavior of your animals it's obvious that there's too much Co2 in the water and they are suffocating. Anything over 35 ppm will cause them respiratory distress.
    If you've an air pump and air stone at hand you need to run it immediately to drive off that Co2.
    If you want to know what electronic monitors (not cheap) are available and other devices designed to indicate Co2 levels (pretty cheap) contact me via PM.

Dave