· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Algae ID and treatment please

0 Not allowed!

Sorry for the crappy photo, it's growing on the ends of my micro swords and rupin, I think it's black hair, but it isn't jet black.

I have 5 oros and 5 cories, and I definitely don't overfeed (I keep tally of how much gets eaten).

I also have some green algae growing in the glass that no one is eating, and is a pain in the butt to scrape off -- this might be attributed to the fact that the tank has only been setup a little over a month though..?

Thank you!

"Do, or do not, there is no try." --Jedi Master Yoda

Aquatic Community Chat Room: http://theaquaticlounge.chatango.com/

0 Not allowed!
    If it's black and stringy, you can do a couple of things that I did that worked well. Dose with Flourish Excel according to the directions for your size tank. Be careful if you have Vals, though, as the Excel will melt the leaves. You can even drain the tank a bit and spot dose with Flourish with a syringe. Kills the black algae almost instantly.

Put a break on your lights timer, depending upon how many hours the tank lights are on. Mine were on 10 hours, so I just introduced a two hour break of lighting but kept the total hours the same.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Looks like green hair algae to me.Remove it manually and back off on your feedings and lighing cycle an hour or so.
    Its either that or just the annoying algae that happens to newer tanks,in which case it will go away in a few months by itself.

Living in Victoria, Canada; Born in Mexico City

Awards Showcase

My neons and other fishies thank you for your help!! - fishymommy For the good health of your plants and their strong growth! - W_Oz have a guppy, lol, we have about 60 fry - labnjab ahh you need more gifts!! - The Red Severum Why have I never gave you a gift?! - Tolley 
    Thanks for all! - saurjusa I'm getting myself a school of these guys!!! lol! - Alfcea You need a bigger school! - The Red Severum Have a gift my friend - Tolley Thought you could use something new. - oldhead 
    getting a bigger school... - Alfcea Happy X-mas - William Thank you!  Also a very merry christmas to you xxx - Fishalicious Merry X-Mas!! - The Red Severum Merry Christmas !!! - Tolley 
    Have a Wonderful Holiday! - Northernguy Happy Belated New Years - W_Oz Thanks for the positive feedback! - rageybug just sharing the wealth! - rageybug Thanks for the nom and the kind words! - Brookfish 

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by smaug
    Its either that or just the annoying algae that happens to newer tanks,in which case it will go away in a few months by itself.
    I think the only "algae" that attacks new tanks and goes away by itself are brown diatoms.... which definitely do not look like Holivision's pic...
    By Alfredo Franco-Cea
    30 gallon tank -- low light -- tannin stained water
    FAUNA: 7 zebra danios; 5 neon tetras; one male green swordtail; 2 female adult platies (plus fry); 6 bleeding heart tetras; 6 false rummy nose tetras
    FLORA: Anubias, Java Moss, Ceratophyllum, Java Fern, Windeløv's Fern

5. Exclamation

0 Not allowed!
    Here's a new image:

http://img528.imageshack.us/my.php?i...8210200zo1.jpg

The crud seems to be growing and spreading, I kinda have this "fuzz" on most of my plants now, it's taking away from their "Crispness". I purchased some excel, and am treating daily, should I be using double doses or something? Or will just the normal amount be ok? Also, my otos, shrimp, and pleco do not seem to be eating it...at all.

I would have to lower the water level an unsafe amount to directly treat all the plants, as it's on the micro swords as well.

Please help!

Across the great pond from the state of Seattle

Awards Showcase

have an octopus - angelcakes a clownfish for your super sense of humor!!!! - ladyoutlaw50 doning the superman suit - Lady Hobbs Let's have a Drink ;) - Fishalicious For the wife! - Lady Hobbs 
    thanks buddy for your help - angelcakes somebody gotta show you love :) - The Red Severum Thanks for all your help with my cherries!! Crawfish was the closest to a CS - Gemini Thanks for the photo lesson! - northernguy Have a drink on me.. hope tomorrow is a better day x - Fishalicious 
    welcome back! - Jacko 

Default Don't Panic the answer is not 42...

0 Not allowed!
    Okay now knowing what I know I think you are seeing a natural break in occurance. As I posted in another thread tanks go thru cycles as they mature and can take many months to a year to fully balance. One of those stages is when funguses and other fun weird stuff start to grow stuff like bio film. I think what you are seeing is a process where something has died off or changed giving the fungus a chance to bloom and what ever takes out the fungus is not in enough abundance or is still in to much abundance allowing it to prosper....

I have had the same thing in a couple of my tanks and usually with time it will die off. It seems that it really starts to decrease once the plants are fully established which usually takes 6 weeks to 3 months to happen. It is at that time your plants will suddenly shoot up like weeds and the fungus seems to go away on it's own. In the mean time run the leaves between your fingers gently before a water change and suck out the stuff in the water column. Also keep a good eye on everything and if anything starts to change like plants dying or livestocked stressed let us know so we can look at other possiable ideas.
    Last edited by Sounguru; 10-03-2008 at 05:22 AM.
    This posting was approved by:
    William S. Burt

All words in this post are completly fictional, any resemblence to actual words is strictly a cowinky dink. No Animals were harmed in the making of this post. Now as far as Humans go there were probably a few hurt and maybe even killed. Please do not copy and paste this post with out the expressed written consent of the owner. Quoting is allowed but only too boost the owners already over inflated ego.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sounguru
    Okay now knowing what I know I think you are seeing a natural break in occurance. As I posted in another thread tanks go thru cycles as they mature and can take many months to a year to fully balance. One of those stages is when funguses and other fun weird stuff start to grow stuff like bio film. I think what you are seeing is a process where something has died off or changed giving the fungus a chance to bloom and what ever takes out the fungus is not in enough abundance or is still in to much abundance allowing it to prosper....

I have had the same thing in a couple of my tanks and usually with time it will die off. It seems that it really starts to decrease once the plants are fully established which usually takes 6 weeks to 3 months to happen. It is at that time your plants will suddenly shoot up like weeds and the fungus seems to go away on it's own. In the mean time run the leaves between your fingers gently before a water change and suck out the stuff in the water column. Also kep a good eye on everything and if anything starts to change like plants dying of livestocked stressed let us know so we can look at other possiable ideas.
    thanks a million!