· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Default Barb Aggression?

0 Not allowed!
    So about 5 days ago i bought a new Pleco and a school of Red Glass Barbs (6) (not dyed) and unfortunately i think the barbs have killed two of their own already. I saw them messing around with eachother before i went to bed the other night and thought nothing of it because of their normal crazy behavior. The next morning i woke up to find only small pieces of barb body... Today i woke up and found one completly gone. Missing with no signs of anything. So i have 4 barbs left and i dont want to lose anymore... the 4 left all seem to be happy and school together and i am thinking they might be ok. I have been closely watching their behavior and am thinking about checking them at midnight tonight to see what they are doing or if anyone is picking on them. (which i doubt). All my water parameters are also good. I have heard of barbs killing eachother before and just wanted to get everyone elses opinion. Their tankmates are a 5" blue gourami, 5" pink kissing gourami, and a 6" very old, very peaceful JD. Any insight will be much appreciated!

0 Not allowed!
    were the barbs that are gone showing any signs of weakness or disease prior to their k.i.a./m.i.a. status?

0 Not allowed!
    Barbs are known to quarrel within their own species when the are first moved into their new surroundings. As for the M.I.A, Check your filter and/or hiding spots for the remains.
    Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can pay the rent.

0 Not allowed!
    Jeff- they all had been in the tank for about 2 days before the first death. All of them seemed very healthy and active. No signs of illness or disease whatsoever. I checked my filter and there was nothing maybe my pleco and the others ate him.... i jsut checked on the other 4 and they are fine. Hopefully it stays that way... maybe they were just weeding out the weak in their group.lol

0 Not allowed!
    Well i woke up this morning and all 4 of my remaining barbs are schooling merrily. Im hoping they are done killing eachother. They arent showing any signs of aggression either. Thanks for the help guys!

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    at least for now! lol

0 Not allowed!
    My Rosy Barbs always rough house each other a lot.. I did have three but one female was pushed around so much I think she developed swimbladder and died.

Now I have a pair left and they've started doing this crazy dance of weaving up and over each other. They look more loved up than fighting but I can't be sure. Could this be a courtship display or are they just beating the crap out of each other????
    Pr Rainbow Cichlids
    mixed shoal zebra/leopard/fire ring danio
    4 Rhombo barbs
    4 ruby barbs
    One T Bar Cichlid
    2 Corydoras (bronze and albino)
    Bulldog plec
    Botia boys.. striata, histrionica and a ?kubotai? & pakistani loach

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have one red barb that continually nips at one or two of the other barbs.... hasn't gone to the extent of trying to eat one of the others yet but one of the small barbs has a couple of small bites missing from the fins....
    75 gallon curved-front aquarium // 2 cory,2 hatchetfish, 6 cardinal tetras, 5 red barbs 3 silver barbs, 2 glass catfish, 1 upside down catfish, 2 swordtail tetras, 2 honey gouramis, 1 sunset gouramis.