· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 50g Lighting

1. Question 50g Lighting

0 Not allowed!
    How many watts per gallon would I need for a 50g to support basic and easy to care for plants? I'll probably be setting up our 50g and I want it to be planted and have a school of some sort of tetras. Might be getting the filter for it tonight, also need some thoughts on a filter, don't think my parents would wanna buy a canister so leave that out because, but if we go with canister a Fluval 305 should be fine.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    BUMP!!!!

Please give answers, will probably be picking up filter and lighting tomorrow. Also how many pounds of gravel would be needed for a 50g, 12x48x18?

0 Not allowed!
    Is your tank 12" or 18" in height?

For my 50g which is 18" high I have 20w - 0.4wpg and It can only grow hygrophilia polysperma and java ferns. If you get 1-2wpg your looking at a better range. Anarcharis, Hornwort, Java moss, Anbuias, swords.. etc. But the height is important.

50G Tank - Kyathit Danios, Zebra Danio, Swordtails, Silver Hatchetfish, Platy, Gold Barbs, Cherry Barbs, Bolivian Rams, Apisto, Zebra Loaches.
    20G 'Nano Fish' Tank - Pygmy Rasboras, Lampeyes, Sparkling Gouramis, CPD, Bronze Corydoras, Cherry Shrimp
    Wanted: More CPD's and Loaches.
    Keep updated with my fish world in my Blog! And my tanks Blog!

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Something in a t-5 ho light or compact fluorescent giving you 100 watts of 6700k spectrum lighting for a fixture,I recommend and use current usa fixtures and I would go with the t-5 if I had the option.For gravel I am not sure but would think 75 pounds would be about right.I have 65lbs in my 36" 58gal and could use a bit more.Get fluorite or some other plant substrate as this makes for healthier plants.Get the 305 if you can or a rena xp-2.If you can get either get an aqua clear ac 70.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Okay, the height is 18". And will probably get somewhere between 80-120 watts of lighting giving about 1wpg. And getting new fixtures isn't an option.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Got a few plants in mind, just wanna make sure that they would be fine with lighting; hornwort, amazon sword, and anubis. Feel free to make other suggestions, also if there are a couple each of those plants in the tank will there need to be a CO2 system? Also would having the substrate half flourite and half gravel be fine?
    Last edited by AquaBison; 09-28-2008 at 02:16 AM.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    BUMP!!!

Off to bed, better have some answers in the morning or I'm going to have to take a guess with the substrate.

0 Not allowed!
    Those plants should do okay in low light.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Okay, need an answer with the subsrate very soon. I'm leaving to go to church very soon, and we're stopping at the LPS on the way back.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    LAST CALL ON ANSWERS!!!!! Leaving in 1 minute.
    __________________________________________________ _____
    EDIT: GONE!!!
    Last edited by AquaBison; 09-28-2008 at 01:41 PM.