· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default 55 gallons for an Oscar and a friend

0 Not allowed!
    I have an Oscar and a Convict that I would like to combine in a 55 gallon tank. If I provide plenty of caves and hiding places for the convict would I be alright combining the two? They would have the tank to themselves aside from one pleco. I could keep the convict by himself in a 20 gallon if I have to but I would like to put him in the 55 with the Oscar so as to have the 20 free for a small community tank. I have seen this done before but I don't want to do it if it will create problems down the line.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

tribute to digga r.i.p - angelcakes   Your Awesome! - Tolley   happy easter to me........LOL - angelcakes   Thank you for the nomination and sorry for the fishy - Billythefish   Probably the nicest members on the forum... - Goshawk   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - angelcakes   HIV/AIDS - angelcakes   

0 Not allowed!
    hello,
    55 gallons is enough for your oscar alone,how big is your oscar at the moment?
    angelcakes (penny)
    "The big fish eats the small one."
    -- Sephardic saying

chat link
    http://theaquaticlounge.chatango.com/

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom   Great advice thanks - nraposa   Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09   Always good answers - Lady Hobbs   You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09   

0 Not allowed!
    Oscars need at least a 75 since they get over a foot long. A pleco would also need more than a 55. If the oscar and pleco are still small than you could do it for a while if they tolerate each other (which is always a guessing game with cichlids).
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist and Published Author in Multiple Aquarium Magazines
    Owner: Aquarium Maintenance Company
    Advanced Aquarium Concepts: Articles about many aspects of aquarium care.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy New Year - Lady Hobbs   Welcome Back! - Lady Hobbs   welcome back - angelcakes   here you go dork - SamAnthrax   No Message - The Red Severum   

0 Not allowed!
    a 55g for one oscar and a smaller sized pleco is fine.. I have it, and all is well.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985   Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer   right back at ya bud, Merry X-mas - Kuli_Loach   Drive your very own subway home for christmas! - Matt23   Have a drink on me - Dave66   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - OscarFan   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - OscarFan   

0 Not allowed!
    I would not go with more than an Oscar in a 55 but if you have not purchased the tank yet I would spring for a 75 then that could work.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom   Great advice thanks - nraposa   Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09   Always good answers - Lady Hobbs   You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09   

0 Not allowed!
    I am talking about fill-grown permanent homes. A 55 is great for a growout for an oscar, but they do get too big when full grown to be in a 55.
    Aquarist since 1995

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy New Year - Lady Hobbs   Welcome Back! - Lady Hobbs   welcome back - angelcakes   here you go dork - SamAnthrax   No Message - The Red Severum   

0 Not allowed!
    I think a full grown oscar, by itself, would be good for a 55 alone.. Cant have any other fish in there because it will probably go after it all day.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    The problem is that they get bigger than should be allowed in a 55. They get over a foot, some over 15". The length of a fish should not be any greater than the width of the tank. A 55 is 12" wide. When an oscar hits about 10" its owner needs to start looking for at least a 75. The oscar should not be allowed to stay in that tank once it hits 12". They simply need more room.
    Aquarist since 1995

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I highly doubt an oscar will get over 15"... But then again it could but very unlikely. its usually 13-14" max. And im not going by numbers or anything of the tank being x wide and y tall, or anything. im going by personal experience which is best. And in my opinion/experience 1 oscar in a 55 is sufficient. Mines showing no signs of bad health, or growth stunted.. Hes grown about 5" in 3 months. Now, if i stumbled across a 75g, sure id get it just because its bigger and i could have more fish. But since i already have the 55, and i have/want just 1 fish, its perfectly fine. Nothing is written in stone.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy New Year - mommy1   Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA   Good Morning :-) - Taurus   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Just to let you know I'm thinking about you. Better things will come. - Taurus   
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - MCHRKiller   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - MCHRKiller   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - MCHRKiller   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - MCHRKiller   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - MCHRKiller   

0 Not allowed!
    There is a member on oscarfish that has a 15" oscar, it is very possible that they can get that large. I know that before a poweroutage killed my old pair they were tipping onto 14" and wouldnt have fit in a 55G tank bottom line. IMHO the minimum life long tank should be regarded as a 75G, just because it offers some width. I would personally prefer to see a oscar in a 40G breeder or 50G than a 55G simply because it is sufficiently wide enough.
    3x75 gallons|1x55 gallon|2x40 gallons