· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For appreciating your mom! - Rue   Thanks for your advice to Gemstone - Boertjie   You should have a fox to! - MCHRKiller   Accidental hijacking! - Wild Turkey   Thanks! - Wild Turkey   
    Autism - invadertoast   

Default Bettas are TOO smart!

0 Not allowed!
    I have mentioned several times on this site that the girls in my community tank have learned to follow the cories around to find leftovers on the bottom. I thought that was pretty impressive, considering bettas are not well adapted to be bottom feeders.

Yesterday I noticed three of the four girls have learned a new trick - follow the cories when they're spawning and eat the eggs off the glass! I guess now I know why I've seen so many funny looking cory eggs and absolutely no fry (I don't really expect to have any survive but there's so much moss in there and so many eggs I thought I might see at least one sometime!) Two of the girls hide in the moss and wait for mom to come by and deposit her eggs, then they stick their heads out, chomp the eggs, and back themselves into hiding again. The third one literally follows them around like she's one of the boys trying to fertilize the eggs. It's pretty funny to watch, but kind of sad at the same time... when I set up my 20 long I might have to move the girls and give the cories a chance (though I really want cherry shrimp and I have a feeling they'd get a taste for those, too!)

These girls are rediculous... lol!
    Lindsay

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

have a welcome gift - angelcakes   cheer up buddy. - AquaBANG   Welcome and cheer up!!!!!!! - sailor   A small sign of love since I read what happened to you on the other forum. - William   because your cool!! - The Red Severum   

0 Not allowed!
    Wow. That's really smart of them to do, lol. Why don't you just move the cories?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For appreciating your mom! - Rue   Thanks for your advice to Gemstone - Boertjie   You should have a fox to! - MCHRKiller   Accidental hijacking! - Wild Turkey   Thanks! - Wild Turkey   
    Autism - invadertoast   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayla-Bug
    Wow. That's really smart of them to do, lol. Why don't you just move the cories?
    I thought about that, but I was worried they might stop spawning... I dunno! lol
    Lindsay

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

have a welcome gift - angelcakes   cheer up buddy. - AquaBANG   Welcome and cheer up!!!!!!! - sailor   A small sign of love since I read what happened to you on the other forum. - William   because your cool!! - The Red Severum   

0 Not allowed!
    yea, I thought about that too. I would just do what you said then, lol. Probably easier on the cories too.