· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Default Plant pruning assistance?

0 Not allowed!
    So, my dwarf onion plant has grown so tall that the top is bent at least 3-4 inches under my hood - can I safely just clip the tops off? How far can I cut them? Also, I never removed the plant from the plastic container it came in, but put the cup into the gravel with the bulbs above as was suggested. Should I bother removing and separating the bulbs now and replanting them outside of them cup?

Thanks.
    -Aude

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You can remove the cup, and can prune the plants however you would like in response to how you want the tank to look. Plants are flexible when it comes to haircuts =)

"The plastic tips at the end of shoelaces are called aglets, and their true purpose is sinister.."

Aquatic Community Chat Room: http://theaquaticlounge.chatango.com/

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks - I just wanted to be sure.

Also, I have the default light that comes with the eclipse 12 g system...I don't know the wattage on it...but does it need to be upgraded?

I was thinking about adding some amazon frogbit for some cover soon, if that matters at all.

And is fertilizer of some sort required for optimal plant growth? I have not added anything yet, as I am always cautious about adding chemicals to my aquarium.
    Last edited by Aude; 09-20-2008 at 09:13 PM.
    -Aude

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aude
    Thanks - I just wanted to be sure.

Also, I have the default light that comes with the eclipse 12 g system...I don't know the wattage on it...but does it need to be upgraded?

I was thinking about adding some amazon frogbit for some cover soon, if that matters at all.

And is fertilizer of some sort required for optimal plant growth? I have not added anything yet, as I am always cautious about adding chemicals to my aquarium.
    Most eclipse hoods come with a standard flourescent lamp -- You can get retrofits to upgrade them to compact for more power if you wish.

Ideal plant tanks will use CO2, Enriched Substrate such as Flourite, Root Tabs, and Nutrient supplementation, such as Saechem Flourish and Trace.

"The plastic tips at the end of shoelaces are called aglets, and their true purpose is sinister.."

Aquatic Community Chat Room: http://theaquaticlounge.chatango.com/

0 Not allowed!
    You can safely remove the plants and separate and plant them but again you have to leave half the bulb above the substrate. I had those for awhile and liked them but my bottom feeders wouldn't leave them alone. If that's a problem, you may want to leave them as you have them.

0 Not allowed!
    Yes - I was worried that my cories might unearth them as they cant be put too far under the gravel. Leaving them potted wont do them any harm, will it?
    -Aude