· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I don't think Mondo grass is actually aquatic. It won't grow and will probably rot away. Beware of PetCo and PetSmart's plant selections. Most of them aren't aqutic even though they say they're for aquariums.

Get some Sword plants, Anubias, and Java Ferns for starters. Use a couple more of those root tabs as well. Maybe like 4 or 5 total.

What is the light spectrum of that flourescent bulb? If it's under 5000K, you might not be able to grow plants very efficiently. Try to find something around 6500K if you can.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The 2W per gallon rule breaks down for small and large tanks. In other words, that 9W isn't really enough to grow much.

Java moss would survive, though.

0 Not allowed!
    You will be able to make an amazing planted tank with 2wpg. Java moss, Java ferns, Anarcharis, Anubias, hygrophilia polysperma.

For a 5g if you go well planted you could get 6 harlequins and your cherry shrimp.

50G Tank - Kyathit Danios, Zebra Danio, Swordtails, Silver Hatchetfish, Platy, Gold Barbs, Cherry Barbs, Bolivian Rams, Apisto, Zebra Loaches.
    20G 'Nano Fish' Tank - Pygmy Rasboras, Lampeyes, Sparkling Gouramis, CPD, Bronze Corydoras, Cherry Shrimp
    Wanted: More CPD's and Loaches.
    Keep updated with my fish world in my Blog! And my tanks Blog!

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    ergh so many people saying different things.

I work at petsmart so I grabbed something for the time being hence I said I am planning to go to a different store. And the swords and the Anubias get too ig.

I was planning to do drawf baby tears and other things that stay very short. I plan to do the cherry shrimp for sure but not getting them for awhile. I don't want to do that many tabs because I don't have many plants in there. Only one.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I think I'm going to trust what you say Tolley, since you have the most posts :)

I'm pushing back the plant buying until Saturday since I have to bring my rat to the vet today. If his bill isn't that bad I'm going to just shoot over to the fist store but we'll see!!!

0 Not allowed!
    Outside of the hygrophila polysperma, Tolley's plant advice is excellent, and I only say that because I seen to remember that polysperma wouldn 't be available in a LFS in the US as it's listed by the government as a noxious weed.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I was hoping that I could do some dwarf baby tears (raelly really hoping) do you think they would do ok?

0 Not allowed!
    Nice catch Greg i always forget to check their location.

Now seeing that you are in the U.S if you can't get hold of cherry shrimp a member on this forum called Algenco sells some at a good price.

No experience with dwarf baby tears. If it is not too expensive I would get some and try it. Most things don't stick to the rule book.

Also i hope your rat is ok.

50G Tank - Kyathit Danios, Zebra Danio, Swordtails, Silver Hatchetfish, Platy, Gold Barbs, Cherry Barbs, Bolivian Rams, Apisto, Zebra Loaches.
    20G 'Nano Fish' Tank - Pygmy Rasboras, Lampeyes, Sparkling Gouramis, CPD, Bronze Corydoras, Cherry Shrimp
    Wanted: More CPD's and Loaches.
    Keep updated with my fish world in my Blog! And my tanks Blog!

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you, and I know of one store thats fairly new that breeds the cherry shrimp so I have to go check that out at a later date.

Thanks about my rat, he has a small abscess, well big abscess. I'm sure its going to be ok though.

I'm still going to try baby tears and see waht else the store I might go to has.

Has anyone tried the algae/moss balls?

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ive had the true moss balls.They are a type of algae.The mossballs that float are just riccia wrapped around a floating core,kinda silly imo.True mossballs are cool ,but will breakdown if seachem excel is used.