· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default Thinking about starting a live planted tank

0 Not allowed!
    I don't have a fish tank right now but I work at a pet store (2 years now) and read a bunch about them.

I was thinking just a small 10g tank, with laterite on the bottom and gravel on top. I would get short plants such as baby tears and short grasses.

For fish I was thinking some red cherry shrimp, oto's, and a school of rasboras or white clouds. But I wouldn't add them for awhile, I'm more worried about the plants.

I know I would need atleast 20w of light which I can't find for a 10g so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions about that.

Also how should I go about cycling this if I am going to put live plants in it???
    I was thinking just letting it run without live plants for a week or so, and add in a small school of zebra danios and a few live plants and continue from there slowly.

Or suggestions about anything I have in this thread. I want as much advice and corrections as possible!!! I really want to do this right.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I am enclosing a link for a wonderful light for your size tank.It uses the t-5ho bulbs which are perfect for plant tanks.I own to nova fixtures ,a 36 and a 24".
    http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/236409/product.web
    you wouldn't want the bulbs that are included with the fixture in this link however they are actinics for SW use.You would want 6700-10000k bulbs or the pink hue plant grow bulbs.You have the right ideas about how to start and what plants to use but I would recommend using straight fluorite instead of a laterite mix,simply for the ease of use.As for cycling I recommend downloading the aquarium ebook available from this forum,it covers cycling.Good luck with your tank!

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I know about cycling and how to do it I just dont know how to go about it with live plants, since if I put plants in right away I would need to give them nutrients somehow since there arent going to be fish in right away of course.

eek.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SamAnthrax
    I know about cycling and how to do it I just dont know how to go about it with live plants, since if I put plants in right away I would need to give them nutrients somehow since there arent going to be fish in right away of course.

eek.

Use API leaf zone, it provides alot of great nutrients and they will grow like crazy, I just have sand substate and they grow great, cycle it with the leaf zone and then add plants after a week. Add 10ml first day then add 2ml everyday till the week cycling is over. it worked for me.
    ~ The fish dude~

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    ooo thanks! will definately use that idea.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    1 big nutrient needed in the beginning will be provided by the fluorite [iron].As fish dude stated leaf zone will also be a good one,that or tetra flora pride.You really will not need a huge amount of fert with the plants you are wanting to start with.Also get some seachem excel,that will take care of your co2 needs.Sorry I wasnt more specific earlier.When you do add your fish add the shrimp well after your tank is well cycled,they do best in aged water.

0 Not allowed!
    Where in chicago may i ask?

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Um I live in the city, Lincoln Square to be exact.

0 Not allowed!
    hmmm i see a lot of things on craigslist around there.... whats the pet shop called? i might be taking a trip to the city and owuld to check out a diff. petshop

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The one I work at haha you dont wanna. I work at a petsmart. Just dont like saying it. I can recommend you to some awesome fish shops though.