· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default thinking about starting a reef or fowlr

0 Not allowed!
    Ive been thinking about starting a saltwater tank for a couple of months now.
    and my 75 gallon is taking a dump due to some unknown infection. I got it for the loaches but only ones left. so that gives me the excuse to break it down and convert it into a saltwater tank. I know it involves a lot of money and time but I think I could get it up and running for less than 150 as the tanks previous owner had it setup for SW. I just need to figure out what else I need to convert it back. I currently still have these items.
    coralife 18 watt uv
    pro clear 150gal wetdry filter
    260 watts jbj pc lighting 10K / Blue
    water gravity meter
    kent nitrate sponge
    test kits

and a 35 gallon trash can full of live sand which is dead now but with some good rinseing I belive I could still use it. Im thinking of getting some live rock, salt mix and ro water to throw in it and see how it goes. but im not shure as this would be my first SW setup. any advice thanks.
    72 Gallon Bow
    260 watts JBJ lighting
    150 Gallon wet dry filter
    Co2 injected with SMS 122
    36 cardinal tetras
    1 platy
    1 guppy
    2 gold German rams
    4 German blue rams
    1 yoyo loach
    1 butterfly albino bristle nose pleco

0 Not allowed!
    We are in the process of starting up a FOWLR. See our journal here http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=29583

Its only a 29 gallon, but it should answer alot of you questions. I hope it helps

29 gallon-planted community

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish

75 gallon mixed reef with 20 gallon sump

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You're off to a good start but you're 150 is about enough to get your live rock going. You will need additional funds for other equipment like power heads, a protein skimmer and such. Expensive and time consuming but definitely worth it. I converted my FW to SW in June and can't tell you how happy I am that I did. Good luck and let us know how it turns out. We love tank build threads so be sure to take a lot of pictures and post them up for us to peep at.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    well the the wetdry filter has a protein skimmer built in so i wont need one depending on how good it is and i have about 3 750gph power heads and one 150gph. the tank has an overflow and the one output on it is really strong. i would probably use one of the high output powerhead i have and split it off into three since its so strong. im just trying to make shure i dont run into problems converting this tank.
    72 Gallon Bow
    260 watts JBJ lighting
    36 cardinal tetras
    1 platy
    1 guppy
    2 gold German rams
    4 German blue rams
    1 yoyo loach

0 Not allowed!
    150 won't even get enough live rock for that tank.

Quote Originally Posted by smooththg69
    Im thinking of getting some live rock, salt mix and ro water to throw in it and see how it goes. but im not shure as this would be my first SW setup.
    No offense, but this is a sure way to ensure failure. You need to do a lot of reading before you get to that point. I did abount 4-6 months worth of research before I started my first SW tank. A marine tank is not something you rush into, and once you start it it's not something you can rush. Everything about the marine hobby takes patience as it all takes time. Nothing good happens fast in a reef tank. Nothing good happens when any part of a marine tank is rushed, and that includes rushing headlong into setting it up.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I dont expect anything to happen fast all i was gonna do is put some liverock and salt mix in it. i wont be adding any fish until i know every things right. as for the 150 worth of live rock its too expensive to spend all that money on some rock i was just gonna get some regular not live rock and put in there while i moniter the condition of the water like nitrate and nitrites , ammonia. and hope the other rock becomes live. also do you have any good online sources for setting up a tank? i have been researching for about 2 1/2 months now just want to get as much info as possible.

thanks
    72 Gallon Bow
    260 watts JBJ lighting
    36 cardinal tetras
    1 platy
    1 guppy
    2 gold German rams
    4 German blue rams
    1 yoyo loach

0 Not allowed!
    Regular rock won't cut it in a marine tank. You need to have a good porous rock that can sustain a healthy biofilter in your tank. You can get dry rock, but you will need a small amount of live rock to get it seeded. That tank will need a bare minimum of 75lbs of live rock. 100-125 would be better.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown