· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Building sump: how wide should baffles be?

0 Not allowed!
    I am currently in the process of designing and planning the build of my sump.

My question is if the inside dimension is 12 and 1/8". What should the width of the baffles be? I am hoping I can go with 12" since those are easily purchased, but I have never done this before.

Any advice would be great...
    125G South American Cichlid Tank
    95G South American Cichlid Tank See it here
    26G Saltwater
    95G African Cichlid Tank

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Your biggest concern is how many GPH your return pump will be capable of.

However, Since your sump is 12.125" wide (I'm assuming here) a spacing of 1/8" will give you ~150GPH and add about that much per 1/8" added, so 1/4" will yield ~300GPH. This is based on what I've been able to find, so the long and short of your answer is that you should just space the baffles a convenient distance from each other for you to work with.

Some more information would be useful though.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by W_Oz
    Your biggest concern is how many GPH your return pump will be capable of.

However, Since your sump is 12.125" wide (I'm assuming here) a spacing of 1/8" will give you ~150GPH and add about that much per 1/8" added, so 1/4" will yield ~300GPH. This is based on what I've been able to find, so the long and short of your answer is that you should just space the baffles a convenient distance from each other for you to work with.

Some more information would be useful though.
    My question is not about how to partition the tank with the baffles.

I am asking about the actual width dimension of each baffle. For example my tank is 12 1/8" wide, and my baffles are 12", is this dimension sufficient in order to create a seal with silicone.

Essentially the silicone will have to seal a total gap of 1/8". Or does the width of the baffle need to be 12 1/8" exactly.

The other extreme would be if hte baffle was only 10 inches wide, then there would be no hope to seal it.

Does this make sense now?
    125G South American Cichlid Tank
    95G South American Cichlid Tank See it here
    26G Saltwater
    95G African Cichlid Tank

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If the tank is 12 1/8", and the baffles are 12" you will have 1/16" on each side which should be no problem to seal with silicone. I'd say go for it.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry about that misunderstanding. Any who, that 1/16" will be a bit of a stretch with Silicone since Acrylic doesn't stick to Silicone (my experience). The baffle will need to be as close to 12.125" as you can manage to seal and stay put. Your other option would be to use the commonly 12" sheets with thin (1" or so) strips on the edges to take up the extra room like you were building rails to hold the sheet in place.

This however is just my opinion and I have a history of overbuilding things. Just for fun though, try putting in a baffle with the 12" sheet and see if it holds water. I'd advise the use of a hefty bead of silicone to ensure enough material is covering the edge and holding the acrylic sheet. My concern is not that your baffle won't hold water so much as it won't be able to hold all of the water and the baffle will blow out once its under a full load.

Having said that, depending on how your baffles are setup and assuming you don't have any large differences between water levels in the chambers. Having a weaker baffle system won't matter much since the load on either side of the acrylic will be similar and only a small amount of pressure will need to be held.

Bottom line, try it with your biggest sheet you'll be using and see if it works.