· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default trying to lower pH in a cycled tank...help

0 Not allowed!
    Hi, I have a 29 gallon tank with just 2 guppies and 2 oto's, some plants, and driftwood. It has been up and running for about a month. Ammonia and nitrites are 0 (yay!), but pH is 7.5. I'm trying to lower the pH so I can get some tetras (probably 5) and eventually a pair of rams (which apparently like a pH of around 6.5). I've been using the Seachem "discus buffer" and "neutral regulator" together, one scoop (that comes with the bottle) of each dissolved in tank water and slowly dripped into the tank, as suggested by the guy at my LFS. I was hoping the driftwood would also help to lower pH...any suggestions? Does this just take time? I also changed 25% of the water last weekend. I have been adding fish SLOWLY, and I'm patiently waiting to get my rams...

0 Not allowed!
    From my experience I havent been able to lower my pH mine runs about 7.6 and all my fish have been fine but I dont know enought about rams to tell you that they will be ok. but my tetras do just fine.

3. Cool

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ichimuj
    Hi, I have a 29 gallon tank with just 2 guppies and 2 oto's, some plants, and driftwood. It has been up and running for about a month. Ammonia and nitrites are 0 (yay!), but pH is 7.5. I'm trying to lower the pH so I can get some tetras (probably 5) and eventually a pair of rams (which apparently like a pH of around 6.5). I've been using the Seachem "discus buffer" and "neutral regulator" together, one scoop (that comes with the bottle) of each dissolved in tank water and slowly dripped into the tank, as suggested by the guy at my LFS. I was hoping the driftwood would also help to lower pH...any suggestions? Does this just take time? I also changed 25% of the water last weekend. I have been adding fish SLOWLY, and I'm patiently waiting to get my rams...

Just FYI if you add a decreaser or increaser for your PH make sure to do it alittle at a time cause .02 could actually shock your fishes, PH is not really a big deal as long as its in the range of safe like mines safe from 7.0 and 8.4
    ~ The fish dude~

Awards Showcase

Here is a cuter version for you. - smaug a cory for your latest sucess :) - graceluvsplatys Great new tank,! Hope it brings you lots of M.T.S lol - Ryuu Yay I got my first two awards! - Gemini No Message - Wild Turkey 
    No Message - Wild Turkey No Message - Wild Turkey No Message - Wild Turkey No Message - Wild Turkey No Message - Wild Turkey 
    No Message - Wild Turkey No Message - Wild Turkey No Message - Wild Turkey No Message - Wild Turkey Thanks! - Wild Turkey 
    Happy Holidays! - Wild Turkey Happy Holidays! - Northernguy Happy Holidays and thanks! - Brookfish For being nice :) - harls_aussie Enjoy! - Northernguy 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Gemini Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Gemini Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - Gemini Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Gemini Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Gemini 
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Gemini 

0 Not allowed!
    Is the PH out of your tap high? If so you'll be always battling it, you'll be better off letting the fish adapt to that PH. They are ok as long as the PH is kept stable.
    i have 6 neons in a PH of 8 and they are fine.
    Fish are friends, not an expendable entertainment device!

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    just checked my tap...its my target pH at 6.5. I have been dissolving the buffer/neutralizer in a large tumbler of water from the tank and letting it drip slowly back in (the guy at my LFS rigged a drip with a little airline tubing onto the huge tumbler...pretty cool idea)...one tumbler full per day and it has been 3 days now. My pH was at 7.0 2 weeks ago. I wouldn't be so concerned if I wasn't interested in rams...just trying to get the pH a little lower...any other ideas? Should I do a water change?

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Do you know why your tank's pH is so high? It seems that barring outside influence (calcium or argonite substrate, bleached dead coral, certain types of stone), your pH should stay just about what your tap water comes out at (minus dissolved gasses in the water that will come out after a few hours, which can alter it a little).
    James W

Q: Why do mountain climbers rope themselves together?
    A: To prevent the sensible ones from going home.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    7.5 is fine for the fish you want to keep.Unless you are willing to really dedicate to keeping it artificially that low I dont recomend it.Only when ph reaches above 7.7 or so is there any real value to adjusting it.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    IMO, it is just an unnecessary hassle to mess with your ph. If you want tetras or rams, you'll do just fine with the ph you have. I have well water and my ph is about 7.8. For years I never even thought about ph, never even knew what it was really or that it mattered to the fish. I only know what it is now because I tested it once when I cycled the tank. I have no problem keeping just about any type of fish.

online sources will say that a fish likes this ph or that ph, but in reality most live in waters that vary greatly in oh due to currents, run-off, fish traveling from one area to another, etc... They are highly adaptable. Besides that, every time you do a water change, you will be changing your ph again and again. That is worse for the fish than anything else.
    54 gallon corner tank:
    6 gold barbs, 6 zebra danios, 1 pearl gourami, 4 ornate rainbows, 1 boesmani rainbow. Eheim 2215 cannister.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I don't have any coral, substrate is fluorite and small aquarium gravel. I'm going to go with the above suggestions...let it be. Sometimes we can research stuff too much. The last thing I need is to fuss over small pH changes in addition to all of the regular fussing the tank requires. Thank you everybody for all of the awesome tips...this is a wonderful forum!

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    This still sounds odd too me. Sorry to harp on about it, but my thinking goes like this: Your tap water is 6.5, but your tank is 7.5. Obviously we've established that your goal should be consistency in your pH. This leads me to two conclusions, something is raising your pH over time (you said it was 7.0 two weeks ago), which is an undesirable fluctuation. Further, every time you change water in the tank, you're putting 6.5 pH water in, causing further fluctuations. Perhaps you should try leaving some tap water out for a day or so, then testing to see if the pH has changed, but I doubt dissolved gasses in the water would cause a jump from 6.5 to 7.5.
    James W

Q: Why do mountain climbers rope themselves together?
    A: To prevent the sensible ones from going home.