· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for cracking a heater - cocoa_pleco   merry christmas - cocoa_pleco   Have a great Holiday! - Northernguy   Nice tank! - Northernguy   Happy Birthday eh! - Northernguy   

Default Question about hornworts? Pictures

0 Not allowed!
    I think thats what these are?

Today I bought a couple new plants, and I saw these and thought they would be kind of cool, somethign I can keep higher in the water that my pleco can't rip out.

But I never read up on them and had no idea how messy they would be shedding needles.

I rinsed them off really good, threw them in my aquarium and they just exploded, needles everywhere my new tiger oscars were fascinated!

So I cleaned my filter after a while of letting it suck up most of them. And scooped a bunch out with my net.

But my question is. Can this be harmful for my fish? Or would it just be like any other plant. Clean up the dead, decaying leaves and thats it?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill   Happy New year - Celtic Fins   May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins   2001 posts! - Northernguy   For your helpful fry advice - Cliff   

0 Not allowed!
    Ya, that sure do look like hornwort. I have some in my 38, it grows very well with a 4' shop light w/plant bulbs hanging directly over the tank. I's say some of the stems are probably longer than I am tall (>6') by now. I never bothered trying to root mine, they just float and grow. There's quite a good population of some sort of small "pond" snails living among them. I never see the snails anywhere else in the tank.
    Given enough light you won't be cleaning up dead leaves, just trimming the monsters occaisonally. Otherwise, they're harmless, though the filter intake getting clogged with dropped leaves can be a nuisance if the plants aren't doing well.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for cracking a heater - cocoa_pleco   merry christmas - cocoa_pleco   Have a great Holiday! - Northernguy   Nice tank! - Northernguy   Happy Birthday eh! - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, cool. Yeah I just wasn't sure if that shedding was going to promote anymore problems beyound cleaning.

They are cool, I hope mine do well, I turned my bubbles down to basically nothing. The oscars like to hide in them, and my pleco can't mess around with it, so its good!

Thanks for the reply.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Sorry I confused myself.  :) - Lady Hobbs   Thanks for the Moss... - Sounguru    - Wild Turkey   No Message - Wild Turkey   

0 Not allowed!
    I've not had a problem with shedding.

SOme people report hornwort is sensitive to Excel, but this is in dispute (mine weren't), although I don't use Excel anymore.

What was your water temp? Hornwort is reportedly cool water plant. I know mine does way better in 76 degrees than it did in 80 degrees.

the biggest problem I have is that it grows so darned fast and shades all the other plants in my aquarium.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Since I already had a hornwort thread open.

My calico comet goldfish spends his time eating my hornwort. Its annoying since it looked really good for a while up until he went to town on it.

It can't harm him can it?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    My last bunch of hornwort exploded, too! Within a day, most of the needles were stuck in the bottom of my filter. Any tips for selecting a good bunch of hornwort?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thanks very much for helping me and sticking with me till the end. lol - squirt_12   For your new baby girl! - gm72   **Congrats On Your New Baby **  : ) - MeganL3985   Congrats!!! - Hailey   Merry Christmas :) - squirt_12   
    Autism - country_boy454   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - country_boy454   

0 Not allowed!
    I gave up on hornwort. I couldn't get it to grow very well. Didn't like my water. I have cabomba in place of hornwort. This stuff really grows fast and thick. I planted two small stems in my 75 gallon when I set it up less than a month ago and now they are about 3 ft long each plus I have transplanted some into my 55. I think the cabomba looks better too. It turns purplish red towards the upper part of the plant.
    20g long 84w, fluorite, planted, 5 Habrosus Corys, MTS, pair of Clown Pleco (L104)
    20gal tall: home to 10 brevis. Letting them pair off then will put the rest into the 55.
    55g empty

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need gifts - Lady Hobbs   And another - Lady Hobbs   What he had up his --- - Chrona   No, serioulsy. EVERYONE KICK HIM! - Drumachine09   RAK - DemonShark   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - gm72   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - gm72   

0 Not allowed!
    I have rather soft water and neither hornwort nor cabomba does well. Maybe related to the water conditions for sure.
    8 tanks running now:
    1x 220 gallon, 2x55 gallon, 1x40 gallon long, 1x29 gallon, 1x20 gallon long, 1x5.5 gallon, 1x2 gallon
    Gouramis, barbs, rasboras, plecos, corys, tetras, fancy guppies, swordtails, ottos, rainbow shark, upside-down catfish, snails, and Max and Sparkles the bettas.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thanks very much for helping me and sticking with me till the end. lol - squirt_12   For your new baby girl! - gm72   **Congrats On Your New Baby **  : ) - MeganL3985   Congrats!!! - Hailey   Merry Christmas :) - squirt_12   
    Autism - country_boy454   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - country_boy454   

0 Not allowed!
    I think I remember Dave mentioning that Hornwort likes slightly acidic water. Or maybe I read it somewhere. Which I do not have. My tap is more 7.6-8.0 PH range. Also it is only a KH of 8.
    20g long 84w, fluorite, planted, 5 Habrosus Corys, MTS, pair of Clown Pleco (L104)
    20gal tall: home to 10 brevis. Letting them pair off then will put the rest into the 55.
    55g empty

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thank you for all the advice - Cliff   No Message - Aydreean   Thanks! Here's a shrimp for ya. - Flakes4Bait   Thank you!!! - harpua2002   Merry X-mass, and thanks for the help this past year - Cliff   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - korith   

0 Not allowed!
    Hornwort was my first live plant. Let me tell ya something it grows fast, real fast. In my 20g tall I anchored a few small bunches of it along the back wall of the tank. In about 2 weeks it had consumed about 3/4 of the tank space!