· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

god im hungry - cocoa_pleco   You make me laugh! - Drumachine09   And lots of pizza too! lol - Chrona   wish i had some of this to drink right now - cocoa_pleco   DAAAAAM, this drink looks good - cocoa_pleco   
    Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - cocoa_pleco   Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - cocoa_pleco   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - cocoa_pleco   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - cocoa_pleco   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - cocoa_pleco   

0 Not allowed!
    you can get a 15g long which is 24" long and angle it a bit to fit, i have to angle my sump for it to fit. ive been scared to do a sump for the last 8 years but now that ive done it, its simple. get a overflow, get hosing, make your own PVC output, get a return pump, and voila, thats it. the return pump just has to be less than what the overflow takes in. a big plus is the water level in your tank stays constant always, you only have to top off water in the sump.

salinity should be 1.022-1.026, i keep mine at 1.022 (i usually support the same LFS and they keep it at 1.022 so its less stressful of a drip acclimation on the fish)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Just because... - alfcea   for starting a saltwater tank - cocoa_pleco   Tanks really coming together! - oldhead   merry christmas - cocoa_pleco   Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!  :) - KrytterKrys   

0 Not allowed!
    I'll have to start planning that, as for now I'm just gonna get a few corals and keep the stock light. I have to get 2 of my darn wisdom teeth pulled and 3 fillings and I don't have dental insurance. Thats $2000 out of pocket and I only have a credit card good for a grand. That puts additions to the tank other then fish on hold for a few months.

29 gallon-planted community

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish

75 gallon mixed reef with 20 gallon sump

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for a fellow front lover - sailor   All the saltwater help! - squirt_12   Thanks! - squirt_12   For the million fish man - Lady Hobbs   Excellent puffer advice. - Brookfish   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by labnjab
    The were listed as turbos at the lfs...
    I see them mis-labled like that sometimes; what you have are actually astrea snails.

Turbo's are (at least at selling size) typically larger (both in terms of sheer size, acorn-sized to plumb-sized) and appetite and the algae they tackle) and differently shaped (with the ability to 'right' themselves if they happen to fall down; an event that usually means doom to an unassisted astrea).

One more thing, what would be the ideal specific gravity for a reef. Ours has been kept at 1.022, will that be good, or should it be 1.023
    A stable specific gravity would be idea. 1.026-1.027 happens to be my preference.

The SG of wild reefs will vary geographically and probably even seasonally and can be as low as 1.017 to as high as 1.030.
    Last edited by kaybee; 09-26-2008 at 10:29 PM.
    African cichlid and saltwater aquariums

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Just because... - alfcea   for starting a saltwater tank - cocoa_pleco   Tanks really coming together! - oldhead   merry christmas - cocoa_pleco   Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!  :) - KrytterKrys   

0 Not allowed!
    When I put the 2 newest in the tank, they both landed upside down, and flipped themselves almost immediately, maybe they were just lucky. How are they compared to turbos as far as cleaning ability? Are they all astrea? They seem to graze 24/7.

I've cut down on light to try and slow down algae growth and will leave it off starting a little later tonight till around 3-4 pm tomorrow, which is when we are getting coral. I've had water mixing and warming up since last night for a water change. The tank is starting to look a little nasty like others said, due to the algae, it looked cool at first, but now its getting a little hairy, but I know it will get worse before it looks better. Water is still crystal clear and parameters are still dead on, so everything is good there

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for a fellow front lover - sailor   All the saltwater help! - squirt_12   Thanks! - squirt_12   For the million fish man - Lady Hobbs   Excellent puffer advice. - Brookfish   

0 Not allowed!
    When I put the 2 newest in the tank, they both landed upside down, and flipped themselves almost immediately, maybe they were just lucky. How are they compared to turbos as far as cleaning ability? Are they all astrea? They seem to graze 24/7.
    Astreas which land upside down and are able to right themselves are lucky (depending on objects which may or may not be nearby).

Astreas are decent algae eaters, but turbo's (in my opinion) are exceptionally better in terms of quantity of algae consumed and the time it takes for them to consume it). 1 acorn-sized turbo is easily equivalent to several astreas, which is actually why I posted my first reply (7 turbos in your particular tank would be overkill).

The down sides to turbos, however, are (from my observation): they seem to 'require' large amounts of algae (and are capable of eating algae faster than it can grow in the tank, there-by starving themselves out). Also they seem to do best in cooler water (low-mid 70Fs). They can also become 'bulldozers', knocking over things (corals, mainly) which aren't firmly affixed. It's in these areas that astreas seem to be a better choice.
    African cichlid and saltwater aquariums

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you for that info kaybee. I'm actually glad I don't have turbo's we just bought some coral frags and I wouldn't want them to knock them down.

Mods please lock this thread, Its now a reef project so I will be starting a new journal. Thank you

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish