· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A poor sub for your Betta - Nick_Pavlovski   Here's a ram for ya - Lady Hobbs   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Carlos_x3   

Default My G/F's New Betta

0 Not allowed!
    I'm assuming it's Fin Rot because his fins are becoming shorter, not at a rapid rate and they are still quite long. I've noticed the tips of Luckys fins are turning a light color.

It's set up is around 3 weeks old. I set it all up with some established media from my well established 20g tank, I introduced my media 2 days after Lucky was introduced. I have not tested the water yet.

Info: Only fish in a 5g filtered Marina tank, temp. 76-80F, 40% water change a week with double stress coat. Lucky eats NLS growth formula along with bloodworms 2-3 times a week. Lucky was a PetsMart Betta. Very active, responds well to food, has a bubble nest, besides the light colored tips of his fins his coloring in general is good.

I'm wondering if this is Fin Rot and what I can and should do.
    Last edited by RamGuy13; 09-08-2008 at 03:56 AM.
    30g Long Planted South American BioTope Blue Rams & Apisto + Community
    Formerly Carlos_x3, RamGuy13

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

have a welcome gift - angelcakes   cheer up buddy. - AquaBANG   Welcome and cheer up!!!!!!! - sailor   A small sign of love since I read what happened to you on the other forum. - William   because your cool!! - The Red Severum   

0 Not allowed!
    Kinda sounds like fin rot to me. Try and get some jungle fungus eliminator. I have some of the stuff for my betta as he has blowed fins and it is helping dramatically. If you do get some of this stuff, you don't use the same dose as other meds usually recommend. It only takes a little for this stuff because it is kick butt.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Cuz you have an apple snail! - Kuli_Loach   

0 Not allowed!
    Are you cycling the tank currently? You can start with some aquarium salt for fin rot. Was there possibly an ammonia spike?
    been bitten by the betta bug

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A poor sub for your Betta - Nick_Pavlovski   Here's a ram for ya - Lady Hobbs   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Carlos_x3   

0 Not allowed!
    There shouldn't be any ammonia since I added established media right??
    30g Long Planted South American BioTope Blue Rams & Apisto + Community
    Formerly Carlos_x3, RamGuy13

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Paisano!! - alfcea   Con mis mejores deseos para éstas fiestas y el año que está por empezar... - Alfcea   

0 Not allowed!
    Established media is a good way to boost start cycle, but it doesn't mean you can skip cycle all together. You should test your water!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

have a frog - angelcakes   Have a gift - Tolley   Merry Christmas - KingFisher   Happy Christmas! - AlexW   

0 Not allowed!
    I'd say first test your water.

Finrot can be fungal or bacterial, but a lot of finrot meds will combat both. The only thing is you might need to avoid medicating if there is ammonia or nitrites in the water as sometimes, I've had very bad results from the mix of medication and ammonia.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    An ammonia spike happens during a cycle.

When you cycle with fish you must be sure to test the water more frequently to avoid the ammonia going up so high. Right now you either need to test that water and do more frequent water changes until you're cycled, or get the betta out and put him in an temporary container until you're done cycling. And of course treat him for fin rot.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the nice post - Lady Hobbs   a gift your you! - squirt_12   beautiful blue discus - Algenco   felt like it - Lady Hobbs   for all the help! - squirt_12   
    Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - ILuvMyGoldBarb   

0 Not allowed!
    Ramguy, what kind of decor do you have in the tank? Any kind of sharp decor can cause the fins to have this problem.

As far as the established media is concerned, adding well established media to a filter certainly can instantly establish the nitrogen cycle. If the bioload in your 20gal tank was more than one small betta then the bioload of the betta will be easily handled by the media you added.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Because You Need A Gift - MeganL3985   For Your Green Efforts - MeganL3985   For your great posts! - alfcea   Feliz Navidad !!! - Alfcea   Thank you for always being willing and quick to help - Gemini   

0 Not allowed!
    Agreed, adding established media means there's no need to cycle, because the bacteria needed are already present. I've used this method multiple times and have never gotten ammonia or nitrite spikes.

Still a good idea to check tho, just in case.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    You need to test your water to confirm it has cycled. Sometimes the cycle may be instant or not depending on how much media you added.