· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom Great advice thanks - nraposa Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09 Always good answers - Lady Hobbs You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09 
    Thanks for your help again. - Lady Hobbs goodbye reptileguy....hello Fishguy - Lady Hobbs For always giving me great answere's on my PM's. Thanks for all the help! - cocoa_pleco Thanks For Your Help & Knowledge! :) - MeganL3985 For weakening me against axolotls!!!!!!! - Nick_Pavlovski 
    I am baking today and figured I'd share...Thanks for Always Helping when it's needed! - **AquaQueen** For recommending Fluvals and Stealths - Lady Hobbs Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985 Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer Thanks for the hikari help - Billythefish 
    No Message - LORENZO Merry Christmas - Northernguy merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO Merry X-Mas!! - The Red Severum 

0 Not allowed!
    I would use a Fluval FX5 and/or a heavy duty wet/dry sump with a Biowheel, not with Bioballs.
    Owner: Aquarium Maintenance and Pet Care Company
    Owner: Web Design Company
    Brian's Aquarium Care: Articles about many aspects of aquarium care.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    not seem them before (just did a quick google). i'll ask at my LFS. Sounds like it's a US only brand that are donig them- marineland? Not seen them over here...

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom Great advice thanks - nraposa Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09 Always good answers - Lady Hobbs You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09 
    Thanks for your help again. - Lady Hobbs goodbye reptileguy....hello Fishguy - Lady Hobbs For always giving me great answere's on my PM's. Thanks for all the help! - cocoa_pleco Thanks For Your Help & Knowledge! :) - MeganL3985 For weakening me against axolotls!!!!!!! - Nick_Pavlovski 
    I am baking today and figured I'd share...Thanks for Always Helping when it's needed! - **AquaQueen** For recommending Fluvals and Stealths - Lady Hobbs Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985 Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer Thanks for the hikari help - Billythefish 
    No Message - LORENZO Merry Christmas - Northernguy merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO Merry X-Mas!! - The Red Severum 

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, Marineland is the only company with a Biowheel and that would definitely be my pick if it is available. A sump is good anyways because it is a good way keep the heaters away from the rays. If you can't get the Marineland sump you just have to rinse out the Bioballs every six months to prevent them from becoming a nitrate factory (preferably something like half of the Bioballs every three months or a third every other month).

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    well i need to get the new tank now... and re decorate my room.

I had to consult a structural engineer to make sure that the tank would not fall through the floor!

I think my H. Malabaricus is looking forward to his new 75g. He hasn't out grown his 30g but he is growing too fast to leave him where he is at the moment. Shame i can't put anything with him but he is so entertaining. And rays will be jsut as fun.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    ok well now i have the tank (after a 6 hour round trip) and am now ready for the installation.

So i guess we need to re-visit the topic. 150g tank, 1 maybe 2 reticulated rays but what else? I'm still very tempted by Angels, Geophagus or Discus. Maybe even oscars, though i think they are too messy and potentially boistrous. Thoughts?

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    I would keep it to just the rays. If the rays work out well enough you could end up with a breeding trio and that is all you would want in there.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    well the phrase 'ready for tank installation' is thrown arround way too much. After getting it back we reallised the scale of things and decided we needed to get a structural surveyor in to make sure that it wouldn't fall through the floor into the resturaunt below.

Well the verdic was it was ok and that was last week and lacking time i have not been able to get it in until Tuesday this week. Having put a hole in the celling.... whoops. So it is sat next to me now with substrate and bugger all water, waiting for some time to fill the bloody thing.

Mean while the rays i have ear marked are looking very healthy still. And i am also considering the adition of 2 Hydrolycus tatauaia as opposed to geophagus but we will see. Whilst a completly ray tank would be nice, i don't want to attempt to breed rays without first getting a grounding in their care so it'd be nice to have a small community of fish.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    The problem with that is that many times the presence of other fish is the reason why people don't do well with rays.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    ok.

After reading all of this about the tank, the inhabitants, looking at the picture of the tank, and guaging what you actually what to do with this.

This tank is not suitable for a ray at all. for a couple of reasons.

1. the tank depth is nowhere near big enough for a ray at all. you need at least 18" or more to house a ray as all rays get to a MINIMUM of 14" in diameter.. (turning room...)

2. Tank is not mature enough (trates, trites and ammonia need to be at a constant zero.)

3. Filtration. Cannister filtration is nowhere near good enough at all. I use 2 Fluval FX5's.

4. At no point has anybody touched on tank decoration. you need places for the ray to hide..

5. Tank mates. think carefully then decide that an Arowana is too big for this tank, a plec will actually suck the ray to death, and really the only thin kthat is suitable for this type of tank is either discus (your own risk on this mate...) or purebred angelfish (not hybrids, theyre too small and will get hunted..) or Silver Dollars....

You need to be looking into this more closely than you have as youll simply find that youll spend you money and have a dead ray for no apparent reason. I field emails from loads of people asking me about ray problems, issues, deaths and dilemmas that th eLFS cant tell them about. My LFS even recommends me to their onw customers!!!!

I keep a 200g tank specifically built for my rays and I keep the following...

ALL WILD CAUGHT and IMPORTED...

1 pair of mated peruvian pearl Motoros (Valued in excess of 50,000)
    1 pair of mated Leopoldi Motoros ( you dont want to know!!!)
    1 pair of mated Marble Motoros (Again,,, dont ask!!!)

The arowanas I keep are
    1 Chillian red
    1 asian black
    1 asian pearl

All have been hand fed from a juvenile stage to adulthood so that they dont attack the rays.

My point is, I clearly know my stuff, and even I make mistakes. As an amateur fishkeeper, I would suggest you get a book, sit down read, and plan. It is expensive keeping motoros, but worth it if youre putting in the effort.

hope this helps

Kai

28g Ornate Seahorse Reef (Planning stage)
    42g Warty Frogfish Species Tank (Planning stage)
    125g Pacific Reef Setup (Underway)
    32g Planted Freshwater Community (Underway)

0 Not allowed!
    Kai,
    This thread is over a yr old - not sure the scenario is still the same
    30g - Planted - need to do some serious rethinking
    20g - planning
    MS-II