· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: tankmates

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

to buy more fish - hobbs   Welcome Back - Lady Hobbs   Welcome back & drink up! - Nick_Pavlovski   No Message - Full3R   

Default tankmates

0 Not allowed!
    What other tankmates can be kept with discus apart from neon tetras? someone suggested clown loaches to me but im not sure
    Lots of snakes and lizards
    1 Golden Pearl Flowerhorn.
    1 18" Nano reef.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~   Merry Christmas - Cliff   Merry Christmas my friend! - Taurus   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Happy New Year! - Slaphppy7   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - jeffs99dime   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jeffs99dime   

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

to buy more fish - hobbs   Welcome Back - Lady Hobbs   Welcome back & drink up! - Nick_Pavlovski   No Message - Full3R   

0 Not allowed!
    heres something to think about, i had a friend over named matt, he saw my oscars and immedietly said "wow, my dad had one of those not that big, but he had a black one and he kept it with like 5 discus cichlids" weird huh
    1 18" Nano reef.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~   Merry Christmas - Cliff   Merry Christmas my friend! - Taurus   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Happy New Year! - Slaphppy7   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - jeffs99dime   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jeffs99dime   

0 Not allowed!
    yeah. that is weird. i do think that juvi. oscars would be able to be with dicsus for a little while. when they grow up though, that's a whole other ballgame

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom   Great advice thanks - nraposa   Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09   Always good answers - Lady Hobbs   You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09   

0 Not allowed!
    There are tons of fish that can go with discus. Most schooling smaller, non-nippy tetras would be fine. I have bloodfins in with mine. Small plecos that won't suck on them would be fine. I have a couple bristlenose in with mine. Gold nugget plecos would probably be fine too. Cories are great with discus. Assuming the loaches don't chase them yoyos, angelicus, clown, striata, etc. would probably be fine too. These would probably be the best ones, although many others could depending on the individuals. Compatibility always comes down to the individuals.
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist and Published Author in Multiple Aquarium Magazines
    Owner: Aquarium Maintenance Company
    Advanced Aquarium Concepts: Articles about many aspects of aquarium care.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    rummynose tetra are good tankmates too. when i had discus, i used to have them in there too along with rams and cardinals. pretty colorful tank.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I put my 3 peppered corys and my 2 bronze corys in there as bottom feeders, its even made my discus less shy, the corys are stiring up the sunken brine shrimp then the tetras and discus gobble em up its working out perfectly
    1 18" Nano reef.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Discus like a pH of around 6.5 so ive learnt, and Black Ghosts like it aywhere from 6.0 - 8.0 so would a ghost and a discus go well together being as they both arent very agressive eaters would boith get enough food?
    1 18" Nano reef.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom   Great advice thanks - nraposa   Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09   Always good answers - Lady Hobbs   You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09   

0 Not allowed!
    My black ghost knife was too aggressive of an eater, but mine was an exception to almost every rule. He lived in the 150 when my dad was in charge of it, that meant all things went bad. No water changes for years. No filter maintenance. Things seemed fine for years until everyone got sick. Geophagus dropped off, angels got fin and tail rot, Synodontis and sun cats got HLLE, cories dropped off, everyone was sick except for the knife. He never once showed any signs of anything and was the only thing to do so. I put him in the 55 with the discus and he would come out and get first takes of the food, including gorging on multiple sinking carnivore pellets, up to 10 at a time (he is about 8"). He is now in my cousin's 90 with a fire eel, a number of geophagus, a bichir, an aggressive pleco, and a couple other things. Most black ghost knives need live, at least to start. Mine never got live or frozen and quickly learned that sinking carnivore pellets, shrimp pellets, and flakes that hit the bottom were his food. So I would say no, but every oen of them are different. I would say if you want to give it a shot but be able to give the knife away if necessary.
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist and Published Author in Multiple Aquarium Magazines
    Owner: Aquarium Maintenance Company
    Advanced Aquarium Concepts: Articles about many aspects of aquarium care.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I already own 2 ghost knives i was just curious because i wouldnt mind putting one in my discus tank, they both are really placid fish and never harm anything including the cory cats that share a ship with him so i was just wondering coz he'd be a nice addition
    1 18" Nano reef.