· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your tank! lol - Northernguy   

Default African Cichlid Setup

0 Not allowed!
    I just bought a 26 gallon tank and I am planning on putting about four Africans in the tank. I have just started to set it up, but I heard that I should use crushed coral for the substrate, even though the bag says it is for marine aquariums. My water is very soft and I do have a chemical to up the pH, but I heard the crushed coral will make the water hard and keep the pH high. Would it be better to use the coral or to use regular gravel and just add pH increaser?

Thanks

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill   Happy New year - Celtic Fins   May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins   2001 posts! - Northernguy   For your helpful fry advice - Cliff   

0 Not allowed!
    If you have soft water the coral would be a good idea. You can also use epsom salts to raise the gH, and baking soda to raise the pH. What kind of African cichlids are you planning on stocking?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

god im hungry - cocoa_pleco   You make me laugh! - Drumachine09   And lots of pizza too! lol - Chrona   wish i had some of this to drink right now - cocoa_pleco   DAAAAAM, this drink looks good - cocoa_pleco   
    Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - cocoa_pleco   Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - cocoa_pleco   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - cocoa_pleco   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - cocoa_pleco   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - cocoa_pleco   

0 Not allowed!
    check the PH of the water the store you are buying the fish from has. if its the same as yours, do not add the crushed coral, the jump of PH could fatally affect your fish. if its the same as the stores, you can keep it since the fish are already acclimated to that PH. if for a reason you want to change it, you need to slowly acclimate it

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for a fellow front lover - sailor   All the saltwater help! - squirt_12   Thanks! - squirt_12   For the million fish man - Lady Hobbs   Excellent puffer advice. - Brookfish   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by f.lanzarone
    I just bought a 26 gallon tank and I am planning on putting about four Africans in the tank....
    What type of african cichlids? Depending on the species the 26gal will not be an ideal long-term set up for them.
    African cichlid and saltwater aquariums

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I'm planning on putting Pseudotropheus Acei, Metriaclima lombardoi (kenyi), Melanochromis auratus, and possibly a Tropheus duboisi but I'd like to do more research on him because I know he is a sensitive fish, if I dont get him then i would probably go for the red zebra. Do these guys seem like it would be alright?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

god im hungry - cocoa_pleco   You make me laugh! - Drumachine09   And lots of pizza too! lol - Chrona   wish i had some of this to drink right now - cocoa_pleco   DAAAAAM, this drink looks good - cocoa_pleco   
    Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - cocoa_pleco   Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - cocoa_pleco   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - cocoa_pleco   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - cocoa_pleco   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - cocoa_pleco   

0 Not allowed!
    i would skip m. auratus, theyre vicious as adults. mines living solitary in a 10g, he will kill any other living thing in a tank with him

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for a fellow front lover - sailor   All the saltwater help! - squirt_12   Thanks! - squirt_12   For the million fish man - Lady Hobbs   Excellent puffer advice. - Brookfish   

0 Not allowed!
    I'd say that the 26gal would be unsuitable for any metriaclima's and melanchromis' due to their aggressive nature and territorial requirements.

Acei's, while more peaceful than the rest would need more space due to their active swimming nature and size they attain (maxing out at about 6"). I wouldn't recommend keeping any mbuna's in a tank with less than 48" for a variety of reasons.

However, small juveniles (1"-2") mbuna's of any type should be fine in a tank that size if utilized for grow out purposes, but for long-term housing a larger tank is highly recommended. At about 2.5" aggression starts to ramp up.

Other types of african cichlids might work (shell dwellers).
    African cichlid and saltwater aquariums

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Where would I find good information on shell dwellers? Are they easy to come across? I just chose those guys because they are the smallest african cichlids sold in the pet store i work at, and i did some research and they all seemed to have the same eating habits, and same maximum size around 5 inches

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    shelldwellers are easy to come across for the most part, theyre cool fish

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill   Happy New year - Celtic Fins   May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins   2001 posts! - Northernguy   For your helpful fry advice - Cliff   

0 Not allowed!
    Auratus may only grow to ~5", but a male will claim a 4-5' territory. They're also just about the most aggressive species fish of their size. The others aren't QUITE as bad, but still not suitable for less than a 4' tank.
    http://www.shelldwellers.com/index.php