· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default My first real photo of my new tank.

0 Not allowed!
    Hey guys I thought by telling you all my fish story you could get to know me better.

My aim has always been to make a truly beautiful Amazon style aquarium. I think I did it with my first tank a 29gallon. Which I actually let get away from me, sadly. It was just a bit more bloomy, then in the picture.

Then I went and bought a small 3in TIGER OSCAR. LOL The biggest mistake Iíve ever made in the aquarium hobby. I was straight out stupid and bought a fish I new NOTHING about besides how it looked! The tank went from just a bit greener then in the picture to a dark brown cesspool in 8-9 months! This, my first DIY Co2 project, held at below 5.0 Nitrate and 25ppm of Co2 for over 2 years, it had almost zero algae of any kind. The first thing the tiger did was eat all 15 of my 3 year old Cardinal school! In like 10 hours! LOL. Then, went eight Harlequin Rasboraís, over the next week or so (a full grown healthy school). Needless to say I was crushed. I almost cried! LOL

Over the course of about the next month the Oscar ate EVERYONE including 10 regular very health Zebras! I mean, how did he catch them! Zebras! LOL. He seemed to almost grow overnight, He went from 3 inches to almost 5, in like just a few months. Once he hit 4 inches and most of the fish were eaten he started (for what seemed no reason at all) tearing up EVERYTHING! If I feed him like 3-4 cubes of bloodworms he would stop for 12 hours or so and then start up again. Once the plants were mostly dead I turned off the Co2 and the tank quickly went into meltdown, Bluegreen and BBA algae completely took over. I took back to the LFS a 7-8in Tiger Oscar and was out of the hobby for a few months. I think the only thing Iím proud of is getting the Oscar out of my hands before he got HIHD.

So, what am I trying to say? Well, I think that no matter how bad an experience may seem in this hobby, itís still just a learning experience and you are better because of it!

This is a picture from my current tank. I am incredibly proud of it. Please, tell me what you all think. And PLEASE donít be afraid to be critical, tell me what you really think.

Last edited by Plant Man; 04-08-2010 at 08:49 PM.

Awards Showcase

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish 
    For being a pic hound!!! - Alfcea thankyou for all your help - sueshewoman A round of gifts for my friends at ac! - Wild Turkey to a very good buddy,happy thanksgiving - angelcakes Congrats on MOTM - Lady Hobbs 
    For being on the ball and having the forum at heart. - Brookfish Thanks for the gift! Now heres one for you ! - CephalopodLover congrats on MOTM - angelcakes same to you - mrs fishpatrick thanks for the help - LORENZO 
    merry christmas - cocoa_pleco sorry for your loss - lovleeko Seasons Greetings! - Brookfish Joyeux Noel!  :) - KrytterKrys Happy Christmas 2008 - fins_n_fur 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy 

0 Not allowed!
    Nice tank shot!
    It looks great!So does the first one.

Glad to hear you rehomed the oscar.He must have thought the world of you for giving him all those delicious feeders!lol That would have definitely been an experience!
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

3. Post Nice

0 Not allowed!
    Great job on your tank!!!!! Looks really good.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernguy
    Nice tank shot!
    It looks great!So does the first one.

Glad to hear you rehomed the oscar.He must have thought the world of you for giving him all those delicious feeders!lol That would have definitely been an experience!
    Oh man, was it ever! The day I took the Oscar back, I told myself "that was it, I'm out of the hobby!). But the more I thought about what happened the more I realized that I would NEVER do that again and I could still do something good.

In regards to new picture, I can't believe I caught for fan-tailed Leopards all going in the same direction at once! LOL Anyone who has had Danioís (and who hasnít) knows they are very chaotic swimmers. I think I took about 30-40 pictures. I didnít even know I had it until I was going through them on the computer.

Thank you very much for the complement!

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You know I think it's absolutely gorgeous.

Man I can't wait to get going and watch my algae-err,I mean plants start growing and spreading out.
    50g hex mixed com,30g parrot,5g ACF,16g bow planted. More to come!

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherH
    You know I think it's absolutely gorgeous.

Man I can't wait to get going and watch my algae-err,I mean plants start growing and spreading out.
    Thank you heatherH, this hobby really can be very rewarding.

0 Not allowed!
    It looks GREAT!! Very nice tank.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by EmmanuelJB
    It looks GREAT!! Very nice tank.
    Thanks man, that means alot to me. i find it's really hard to be objective with your own tanks because your staring at them so much.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I really love the look of your tank. Your plants are all looking wonderful, and that's a particularly nice piece of drift wood you got there. Not a huge fan of the reddish substrate, but it really makes your plants pop even more. Fantastic job.
    10g Community planted [java fern, anubias nana, crypts, vals]; male HMP betta [Carcharias], lophiobagrus catfish, blood-fin tetras, ember tetras
    Journal

3g Planted [java fern, crypt]; male delta tail red dragon [Asmodeus]

30g Planned African community with kribs, African Butterfly Fish and dither

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I like it! Those plants look great! What is that green/red one inthe middle there? It looks awesome! I am always on the lookout for some plant that is not green to add to my tank to break it up!
    30g:: Planted: 1 SAE, 1 Bristlenose Pleco, 5 Guppies, 3 Platys, 1 zebra danio, 9 Rasboras

2.5g: 1 Male Betta