· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    I wouldn't necessarily go out of my way to specifically target feed a coral NLS (excluding once, when I wanted to see if my non-photosynthetic tubastraea would accept it or not...it did by the way, but I place greater value on other types of foods meant for corals).

NLS is definately not esssential, and it probably wouldn't matter to the coral if it were NLS or some other type or brand of food. The coral would able to draw what they need out of it, but whether that equates to being 'good for them' is hard to say because one could cease feeding corals entirely and they'd still likely thrive (since many photosynthetic corals obtain the bulk of the nourishment values they require from light via symbiotic zooxanthellae and the trace elements they draw from the water).

Getting back on topic, most SPS corals, due to the small size of their polyps, would be unable in many instances to process a NLS pellet (though they may try and could probably seize and consume microfragments of the food).

I agree with Spuds that phyto feeds the pods which feed the corals (a decent example of a food chain at work).
    African cichlid and saltwater aquariums

http://www.rowelab.com/AquaControlle...9&scope=last24

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I agree with Kaybee. I don't target feed my LPS with pellets and most SPS I'm aware of would likely not be able to consume much of them. I have seen some of my LPS grab a Formula One pellet as it floated by but I prefer to feed the LPS mysis and zooplankton (frozen rotifers and cyclops) and I don't target feed that very often.

- Bill
    90G Reef Build Thread

90 Gallon Reef: Ocellaris Clowns, Midas Blenny, Ignitus Anthias, Various inverts
    20 Gallon SW Quarantine: Exquisite Wrasse
    10 Gallon SW Quarantine: Empty
    55 Gallon Community: Neon Tetras, Gold Neon Tetras, GloFish, Corydoras (paleatus & trilineatus), Otocinclus, Mollies, Platies, Apple Snails
    5 Gallon: Crowntail Betta, African Dwarf Frog

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom Great advice thanks - nraposa Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09 Always good answers - Lady Hobbs You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09 
    Thanks for your help again. - Lady Hobbs goodbye reptileguy....hello Fishguy - Lady Hobbs For always giving me great answere's on my PM's. Thanks for all the help! - cocoa_pleco Thanks For Your Help & Knowledge! :) - MeganL3985 For weakening me against axolotls!!!!!!! - Nick_Pavlovski 
    I am baking today and figured I'd share...Thanks for Always Helping when it's needed! - **AquaQueen** For recommending Fluvals and Stealths - Lady Hobbs Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985 Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer Thanks for the hikari help - Billythefish 
    No Message - LORENZO Merry Christmas - Northernguy merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO Merry X-Mas!! - The Red Severum 

0 Not allowed!
    One of the testimonials on their website was from a guy who fed it to his tube anemone. I can't remember exactly what he said but it grew like a weed. Many corals are large enough to eat certain NLS foods. For stuff like SPS it would probably need to be crushed for most of them. It is worth a shot to see how your particular corals take to it and respond to it. If they do better, go ahead and keep feeding it. If they don't take to it then just stop.

As far as I know no one has done a truly scientific comparison of the two. Most stick with the tried and true methods of light and proper phytoplankton and other proven foods. The biggest difference would be that most of the preferred foods are just one thing or a mix of a few main ingredients (rotifers, daphnia, cyclops, phytoplanktons), whereas NLS also has all the added supplements that help make their main ingredients a complete and balanced diet. Obviously this is not absolutely required for corals as they have been living in captivity with varying degrees of thriving and are being propagated, but even with this in mind it is hard to say it would not be beneficial to also have these other ingredients in their diet.
    Last edited by Fishguy2727; 08-24-2008 at 02:59 PM.
    Owner: Aquarium Maintenance and Pet Care Company
    Owner: Web Design Company
    Brian's Aquarium Care: Articles about many aspects of aquarium care.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom Great advice thanks - nraposa Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09 Always good answers - Lady Hobbs You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09 
    Thanks for your help again. - Lady Hobbs goodbye reptileguy....hello Fishguy - Lady Hobbs For always giving me great answere's on my PM's. Thanks for all the help! - cocoa_pleco Thanks For Your Help & Knowledge! :) - MeganL3985 For weakening me against axolotls!!!!!!! - Nick_Pavlovski 
    I am baking today and figured I'd share...Thanks for Always Helping when it's needed! - **AquaQueen** For recommending Fluvals and Stealths - Lady Hobbs Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985 Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer Thanks for the hikari help - Billythefish 
    No Message - LORENZO Merry Christmas - Northernguy merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO Merry X-Mas!! - The Red Severum 

0 Not allowed!
    Anyone used any of the Brightwell Aquatics Phytoplankton foods?

0 Not allowed!
    Feeding SPS corals is not an essential activity as they can obtain all the nuytrition they need via photosynthesis, however they will greatly benefit from feedings. I personally feed my corals phytoplankton and zooplankton. Something important to not though, if you are not target feeding them but just doing a general dispersion in the water column, you should turn off your Protien skimmer for about half an hour while you do. Failure to turn off the skimmer will result in much of the food being skimmed off and not much benefit to the corals.

As for the NLS issue, my LPS corals take them all the time. My Frogspawn and Candy Canes especially seem to take them in frequently. Unfortunately my Foxface has become quite good at picking the NLS right out of the polyps on my Candy Canes. I can't say that I've seen any great benefit to it for the corals though.

EDIT: I don't personally use any of the food products from Brightwells but I've heard a lot of good things about it. I have however heard of a great many people switching over to the Aquavitro line of products. They seem to absolutely love them as they have had a great response from their corals.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

0 Not allowed!
    Feeding NLS benefits corals no more than any other food you feed them. I feed my LPS cyclop-ezee, zooplex, and some frozen.
    New chatroom!

0 Not allowed!
    I would feed my corals some NLS when I set up a nano reef...
    xD

Awards Showcase

god im hungry - cocoa_pleco You make me laugh! - Drumachine09 And lots of pizza too! lol - Chrona wish i had some of this to drink right now - cocoa_pleco DAAAAAM, this drink looks good - cocoa_pleco 
    There. Thats better. - Drumachine09 maybe one day we can enjoy one of these - sergo Congrats you recived a RAK gift enjoy! - DemonShark RAK - DemonShark RAK - DemonShark 
    Cheers! - Nick_Pavlovski Since Wendy's is only open 4 hours! - aliz340 For Your Help And Friendship - MeganL3985 Hope you a good time in Germany - alizee340 Good to have you back around the forum! - Nick_Pavlovski 
    Thanks....you could use some Luck with your fish too! - **AquaQueen** I'm baking today and figured I'd share...Thanks for helping whne it's needed! - **AquaQueen** Back at you, CP! - Dave66 You send me fruit I send you pizza!! LOL!! - 2manyfish a fish for the new 5.5g salt! lol - cocoa_pleco 
    Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - cocoa_pleco Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - cocoa_pleco Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - cocoa_pleco Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - cocoa_pleco World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - cocoa_pleco 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - cocoa_pleco Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - cocoa_pleco Childhood Cancer - cocoa_pleco Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - cocoa_pleco 

0 Not allowed!
    i just dose phytoplankton and thats it. my lunar wrasse is a aggressive eater and sprays it allover so he feeds most of my corals

0 Not allowed!
    do it but there are far better foods to feed them.
    New chatroom!

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Kuli:
    How long did you feed your corals NLS?
    What corals?
    Which NLS?