· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 38 12311 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a drink on me - Dave66   From a fellow BC boy - sailor   For making a great game - Futureboy   thanks for the rep. - robnepper   Congrats on your Gold Award :) - SkinnyChicken   
    Autism - doug z   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - doug z   

Default Doug's 75g FW planted

0 Not allowed!
    EQUIPMENT
    75g Perfecto Aquarium with stand

Filter: Eheim 2217 x 2

Light: Current USA Nova Extreme 48" 2x54W T-5 10,000K x 2 = 220W,or 3.9wpg

Heater: 250W Visi-Therm Stealth + 50W Hydor cable heater withthermostat.

Air pump: Tetra Whisper 100 Air Pump) with airstone.

Thermometer: Pinpoint remote

C02 set-up: 20lbs cylinder, regulator, solenoid, needle valve, Rex Grigg reactor (on route), Pinpoint pH controller (on route)

20g QT/Hospital tank w/heater, sponge filter, air pimp. **Coming Soon**

Substrate:

(Cable heater)
    20lbs of Caribsea Tahitian Moon Sand
    25lbs of bagged laterite
    80lbs of Eco complete

Looks like so:

Pink= laterite Black= Eco-Complete Grey= Moonsand, Cable heater

I chose the Eco-Complete because I had heard so many good things about it. Power Sand or Aquasoil from ADA will probably go into my next tank..

I probably won't use laterite again, because you have to really be careful, or you can contaminate your whole tank with pink cloudiness.. But more on that llater.. In any future tanks I'll just use plenty of tab ferts, rather than laterite, or at least get the granular form of laterite, rather than the pure stuff:

PLANT LIST

Anubias barteri var. Nana (driftwood, rocks)

A. reineckii (background)

H. Zosterfolia (midground)

Echinodorus tennelus (foreground)

Cabomba caroliniana (background)

Amazon Frogbit , Limnobium laevigatum (floating plant)

thinking about Blyxa Japonia

FISH **coming soon!!**

25 Cardinal Tetra

8-10 Panda Corydoras

1 Bristlenose Plecostomus (L-144)

1 male dwarf cichlid (cocaktoo), 2 females

6 otocinclus

FOOD

Corydoras:

NLS h2o stablewafer

AND Big Al's Sinking Spirulina Tablets, and frozen blood worms

Plecostomus and otos:

NLS h2o stablewafer

AND Big Al's Sinking Spirulina Tablets, AND Veggies

Cardinals and dwarf gourami:

NLS small fish formula

AND frozen/live Daphnia

Freeze-dried tubifex worms (soaked in Selco, Selcon or Kent Zoe, highly unsaturated fatty acids) ?? Have to source this.

AND

Seachem's Garlic Guard
    Last edited by William; 08-23-2008 at 03:10 AM.
    75g - 20 cardinals : 7 panda cory : 5 Julii cory : 9 zebra danios : 1 CAE : 2 SAE : 2 yo-yos : 1 BN
    25g: 5 long-finned zebra danios

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a drink on me - Dave66   From a fellow BC boy - sailor   For making a great game - Futureboy   thanks for the rep. - robnepper   Congrats on your Gold Award :) - SkinnyChicken   
    Autism - doug z   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - doug z   

0 Not allowed!
    Setting Up

It's been a LONG time coming, but I finally got all my equipment together, went on my trip, and am back and finally got started!!

Here's some pics of my equipment, setting up:

CABLE HEATER

THERMOSTAT WITH TEMP. PROBE

BURYING CABLE WITH MOONSAND

ADDING LATERITE

For the background, I purchased a glossy black aquarium background from the lfs, and applied it to the back of the tank with this solution:

http://www.petsandponds.com/securest...6926913.2.html

It's aquarium safe, and once you push out all the bubbles, it is a much darker black than you could get from just taping it on.
    Last edited by William; 08-25-2008 at 09:49 PM.
    75g - 20 cardinals : 7 panda cory : 5 Julii cory : 9 zebra danios : 1 CAE : 2 SAE : 2 yo-yos : 1 BN

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!

ADDING LATERITE

ADDING ECO-COMPLETE:

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    IMPORTANT!!!!!!!!!

If you are going to get Eco-Complete, make sure it looks like the bag on the LEFT, not the right..

And make sure there are no leaks..

At this point I added the water with my Python, and added my plants, which I paid a pretty penny for!! ($350 for 35 plants):

RICCIA FLUITANS

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!

AMAZON FROGBIT

H. ZOSTERFOLIA, A. Reineckii, Bolbitus heudolotii

Attaching the Anubias to a rock.

MISTAKES I MADE!!!!!

Thinking I needed to get the water a certain pH and hardness..

Plants really only care about water temperature, and only then that it's not too cold.. But I ran around, back and forth to the store to get bottles and bottles of demineralized water (lack of prep on my part), and didn't get my heater in my main tank till later.. So the plants were in pretty rough shape by the time I got organized.. My poor B. heudolotii looks the worse for wear.. Hopefully it'll recover..

Not being as careful as I should have filling tank

I put a plate over the substrate so the flow was deflected, but even then little rivulets made a hole down to the laterite under the Eco and I got some pink water as a result..

So make sure your water flow to the tank is super so, at least until you have about 6" in the tank..

If you don't have irritants like laterite to worry about, ok.. But even if you don't you can cut the initial cloudiness of your tank right down..

Not getting my aquascape in place before filling the tank

Because I don't have much of an imagination, and because I waited till THE day the plants arrived to put my eco-complete in (dumb.. should have done this weeks before, but I had some strange notion that this would dewater the Eco-complete too much, and it would screw up it's "bacterial properties", somehow), I had to make up an aquascape on the fly..

Not the best idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's what my aquascape looked like after the first day:

Very cloudy.. I'm guessing due to that laterite cloud that got into the water when I filled it..

The first day it was set up the temperature was 90 degrees outside, and the tank temp was around 86F at one point.. I was concerned, and was inclined to add ziplock bags filled with ice to bring the temp closer to set-point (77F). That helped a little. Even now with the outside temperature down in the 70s I haven't even had the main heater kick in.. The cable heater, set at 79F, has been all that's needed. I set the cable heater at 79, and the main heater at 77 so that the temp difference would create a current that would help keep the plant roots anaerobic.. That's the theory behind the cable heaters, anyways..

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    On to the filter problems I've been having..

I have 2 Eheim 2217 cannisters:

Each cannister is rated for 159g aquariums.

I bought 2, following the advice of Dave66, among others, in that you cannot have too MUCH filtration.. And having 2 filters helps when doing cannister maintenence, as when you are clean one filter (unvaryingly reducing the amount of nitrifying bacteria in your sponge, etc.), you have a back-up at full strength, and there's less chance of an ammonia spike.. You clean one filter every 1-2 months, then clean the other one the next time, switch back and forth..

PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There IS such thing as too much filtration!!

Bigger means higher flow rate!

Higher flow rate means your plants are going to get blown about!!

What I should have done was gotten 2 filters, both rated for 75g.. So I would have double the filtering capacity, and have the back-up filter, and the flow rate wouldn't be so extreme..

As it stands I'm having trouble coming up with a spraybar configuration that provides water good flow but doesn't wreak havoc with my plants..

I've tried widening the holes in the spraybar:

But this only helps so much..

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    So back to playing with the positioning..
    Another problem, I was worried about the hoses coming off, so I added clamps:

WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you feel the need to put clamps on, do NOT over-tighten them!!

My connectors have all developed hairline leaks and I've had to jury-rig them while trying to finagle replacements out of Big Al's..

Anyways, here is the tank after 7 days..

'scuse the mess..

It'll look better once I figure out how best to hide my intake and outtake hoses, get the water cleared out, add some more cabomba, stargrass, and temple plants from cuttings, and trim the roots of the frogbit..

That driftwood in the center is temporary, till I figure out where I want the Java moss that's on it.

I like how the stargrass is coming in, even with all the murkiness.. Almost time for another trim!

The murkiness has not gone away, and I don't know if it's a bloom of some sort, or it's the laterite still floating about (added another big dose of it when I forgot to put the end cap on the Eheim cannister spray bar, after sucking on it to prime it.. Water shot straight down into the tank and drove right into the laterite, spraying quite a bit into the water)..

I've bought a diatom filter:

http://www.mops.ca/cgi-bin/SoftCart....ab7+1219445439

And hope to get the water crystal clear one way or the other!!

Will also be using Boyd's Chemi-pure in the cannister, to keep the dissolved organics down.. Should have done it from the start, but I got cold feet..

I'm also going to be adding peat to the filter, to bring down the hardness of my water (GH 8):

http://www.petsandponds.com/securest...6530353.2.html

The pH will also be affected, all to the good, as my tap pH is 7.8.

But the pH will also come down when I get the CO2 system online.

Just waiting on the Rex Grigg reactor, and the pH controller..

I am cycling using Dave66's brown sugar method for planted tanks. Basically you take a pinch of DARK, dark brown sugar, and add it to the tank every day for a month.. After that you test your water, and you should have no ammonia, no nitrates, and a very small ppm of nitrates.. Hope it works!!!!!!

All I have been doing for dosing so far is Seachem's Flourish Excel, which is a C02 substitute, until I can get the C02 online.

After about 3 weeks I'll start dosing with Flourish.

After a month I hope to be able to add my 1st batch of fish (BN and panda cories).

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Aug 23/08

Here is the tank today, after 8 (or 9?) days. Aug 23/08

Getting clearer..

Definately thinking the stargrass needs to be cut down again (I cut it in half when I 1st put it in).

Only 1 tennelus plant has put out a runner so far, but it's a start..

Again, that driftwood in the center is only there to keep that java moss I have rooted down.. I plan to let it grow and if my riccia ends up dying, I'll replace it with java moss..

here's what I was thinking about, spraybar-wise..

I'll see if it works..

Noticing quite a bit of mulm, etc in the front of the tank, and in the cabomba.. I keep waving my hand around so it gets into the waterflow and hopefully taken into the filter..

This will bear watching..
    Last edited by doug z; 08-24-2008 at 02:08 AM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~   Merry Christmas - Cliff   Merry xmas! - ScottishFish   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Holiday Ham comes ones a year... to bring you a pig size share of holiday cheer! - Trillianne   

0 Not allowed!
    Doug, that is looking awesome so far!

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Cool

0 Not allowed!
    the tank is looking great

and that is alot of money in plants i recently ordered some plants for my 10gal and i got lucky cause he already had Echinodorus tennelus and hadnt sold any and had had it awhile and they was sprouting runners so i got 5 bunches of it(one of which had 4 runners off of it and the rest had one) and i got them for $.49 each and he only charged me for 4 cause of the inconvenience his plant supplier has caused by not giving them the plants he ordered for me and he also got some riccia in that i was gonna order but decided to wait so i bought it(it was only like 3 bucks for a good size like 3in by 4in bunch) anyway cause he didnt know anything about it(in his defense he admitted he doesnt know much about plants)