· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Dirty moss

1. Default Dirty moss

0 Not allowed!
    In my 55 gal i have a peice of driftwood with java moss all over but the moss always holds all the dirt and junk that floats around the tank, i keep it very short becouse of this but the moss still looks dirty. i use florite in the tank i think thats whats causing it. is there a fish that will clean my moss or do i need to get rid or the florite for clean moss?

0 Not allowed!
    It's probably from the fine dust off of your flourite so by removing the flourite you'd be stirring up more. So no, I'd just keep on top of your water changes, make sure your filter intake is clear and every time you clean the water use the siphon to go gently over the moss and suck up the little bits of dust.

0 Not allowed!
    Same here! You have to keep shaking the debris from it which doesn't work as easy when it's attached. Sounds like we both need some otto's to keep it clean.

Living in Victoria, Canada; Born in Mexico City

Awards Showcase

My neons and other fishies thank you for your help!! - fishymommy For the good health of your plants and their strong growth! - W_Oz have a guppy, lol, we have about 60 fry - labnjab ahh you need more gifts!! - The Red Severum Why have I never gave you a gift?! - Tolley 
    Thanks for all! - saurjusa I'm getting myself a school of these guys!!! lol! - Alfcea You need a bigger school! - The Red Severum Have a gift my friend - Tolley Thought you could use something new. - oldhead 
    getting a bigger school... - Alfcea Happy X-mas - William Thank you!  Also a very merry christmas to you xxx - Fishalicious Merry X-Mas!! - The Red Severum Merry Christmas !!! - Tolley 
    Have a Wonderful Holiday! - Northernguy Happy Belated New Years - W_Oz Thanks for the positive feedback! - rageybug just sharing the wealth! - rageybug Thanks for the nom and the kind words! - Brookfish 

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    I just keep my moss in an area of high flow of water... though it sometimes catches some garbage, it is easily blown away... and the slow movement of the leaves looks really nice too!
    By Alfredo Franco-Cea
    30 gallon tank -- low light -- tannin stained water
    FAUNA: 7 zebra danios; 5 neon tetras; one male green swordtail; 2 female adult platies (plus fry); 6 bleeding heart tetras; 6 false rummy nose tetras
    FLORA: Anubias, Java Moss, Ceratophyllum, Java Fern, Windeløv's Fern

0 Not allowed!
    My female bettas make short work of anything edible that gets stuck in my moss - they'll jam themselves into rediculous positions and burrow all the way into the middle of it for a tiny morself of food.
    Lindsay

23g FW Community ~ 2.5g antique slate-bottom plakat betta ~ 4g antique slate bottom plakat betta

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I think my tank is laking in the water movment i have one fluvel 304 and it dosent make much movment maybe if i stuck some bubbles right under the wood.. i also have 4 ottos in my tank and they dont seem to like the wood.. lol

Awards Showcase

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish 
    For being a pic hound!!! - Alfcea thankyou for all your help - sueshewoman A round of gifts for my friends at ac! - Wild Turkey to a very good buddy,happy thanksgiving - angelcakes Congrats on MOTM - Lady Hobbs 
    For being on the ball and having the forum at heart. - Brookfish Thanks for the gift! Now heres one for you ! - CephalopodLover congrats on MOTM - angelcakes same to you - mrs fishpatrick thanks for the help - LORENZO 
    merry christmas - cocoa_pleco sorry for your loss - lovleeko Seasons Greetings! - Brookfish Joyeux Noel!  :) - KrytterKrys Happy Christmas 2008 - fins_n_fur 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy 

0 Not allowed!
    How big is your tank?
    What kind of filter do you have and what size is it?
    That could be your problem!
    Have you cleaned the filter lately in your tank water during water changes?
    A bubble bar might work for you,it will definatly move water but on top.
    Nothing works better than a good filter though!

A pic of your tank could give a better description of your problem!
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So my tank is 55 gal breeder tank, i have a fluvel 304 running and a small bubble disk. i do a water change 30%ish everyweek and always give the filter a clean in the water i took out of my tank. the florite however just clogs my filter right back up.. >.>
    Im probly going to just take all the florite out and replace it with some black sand. which would also solve my dirty moss problem i think ^^