· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Thread: I have an idea

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

you looked a little bare - Algenco   No Message - Angila   just thought i would say hi - sncrowe   

Default I have an idea

0 Not allowed!
    I would like to get the glo fish like all the colors and stock my 30 gallon with them and put them under a blacklight and breed them I just need a bit of help figuring out setting this tank up right now i have my livebears in there but i am slowly getting rid of them and not replacing them. any ideas on good stuff to get them to breed and cool decor i can put in to go with the blacklight? plus how many of them would be good for a 30 gallon. I know i can't have snails in there because of the fish eggs so i am thinking about putting a loach out of my cichlid tank in there and letting him have a feast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985   Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer   right back at ya bud, Merry X-mas - Kuli_Loach   Drive your very own subway home for christmas! - Matt23   Have a drink on me - Dave66   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - OscarFan   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - OscarFan   

0 Not allowed!
    Are these the brightly colored fish that come in bright orange and green or are these glolight tetras. If they are the brightly colored ones they are just regular danios injected with a jellyfish gene and would breed like normal danios.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    GloFish® fluorescent zebrafish is that the ones you are looking at?

Wow. My g.f. just bought some of the GloFish*. I thought they were died but its their natural color they get from their parents. Some pretty cool stuff i was reading from GloFish.com if thats the ones you were looking at.
    Aquariums: Click Here

Living in Victoria, Canada; Born in Mexico City

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My neons and other fishies thank you for your help!! - fishymommy   For the good health of your plants and their strong growth! - W_Oz   have a guppy, lol, we have about 60 fry - labnjab   ahh you need more gifts!! - The Red Severum   Why have I never gave you a gift?! - Tolley   

0 Not allowed!
    Well,... actually, the black light is not really a good idea. Yes, I know that it is tempting to see the fish glow under it, but UV light can (and very readily does) induce cancer and mutations in the fish. I don't think you would like to inflict such suffering into your fish, right?. It will also make them blind.... and not only the zebra danios, but all other fish too...

I just wanted to warn you and let you know that, in my opinion, putting a black light lamp in your set up would not be a very humane thing to do.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by alfcea
    Well,... actually, the black light is not really a good idea. Yes, I know that it is tempting to see the fish glow under it, but UV light can (and very readily does) induce cancer and mutations in the fish. I don't think you would like to inflict such suffering into your fish, right?. It will also make them blind.... and not only the zebra danios, but all other fish too...

I just wanted to warn you and let you know that, in my opinion, putting a black light lamp in your set up would not be a very humane thing to do.
    Black lights are barely a UV light, its UVA which is the safest of all UV light. You would get more uv from a MH with out filtered glass then a black light.
    Besides most fluorescents black lights use different glass to obtain the same effect.
    Aquariums: Click Here

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

How can I agree with you so much.  LOL - Lady Hobbs   for a successful cycle! - fins_n_fur   Caring for your sick fish - C-Dub   Good Luck! - Northernguy   Sorry - William   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - gourami*girl   

0 Not allowed!
    So my genetics training is calling for me to clear up the misconceptions about glo-fish.

Glo-fish are actually zebra danios which have flourescent jellyfish genes inserted into their genomes through a knock-in approach. This approach allows the jellyfish genes to actually become a part of the danio genome, so the flourescent coloring may be passed down to their offspring (note that I did say MAY). The injection of the jellyfish genes happens at the blastocyst or even fertilized egg stage so the method is humane and the color, while not natural, will not fade. This differentiates it from painting or tattooing methods which are detrimental to the fish and will fade if the fish survives.

As far as breeding glo-fish goes, some laboratory animals do show lowered fertility, but they are likely fertile. Say you cross a red glo-fish and a green glo-fish. The possible progeny could be regular zebra danio, green glo-fish, red glo-fish, or a mix of green and red glo-fish (I'm not sure if it would both colors or just a brown). Which progeny you get would depend on which chromosome the jellyfish genes were inserted into. (If you remember Punnett squares from high school biology, you could work through the possibilities).

As far as the black light goes, maybe you could have one on hand to show off your fish, but keep them under white light normally. I have some regular zebra danios right now and they get so active and playful when I turn their light on, I think they must appreicate it.

Hope this clears some stuff up!

Living in Victoria, Canada; Born in Mexico City

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My neons and other fishies thank you for your help!! - fishymommy   For the good health of your plants and their strong growth! - W_Oz   have a guppy, lol, we have about 60 fry - labnjab   ahh you need more gifts!! - The Red Severum   Why have I never gave you a gift?! - Tolley   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Klug23
    Black lights are barely a UV light, its UVA which is the safest of all UV light. You would get more uv from a MH with out filtered glass then a black light.
    Besides most fluorescents black lights use different glass to obtain the same effect.

Hello Klug,

I agree with you that black light (near UV - UVA) is not as dangerous as UVB and UVC; however, it is still energetic enough to induce some damage over long periods of time.... It also promotes oxidation of organics which will eventually lead to damage in various tissues, and this includes corneas, leading to blindness...

Given the fact that a black light lamp would be on for long(ish) periods of time if it is part of a setup, I expect the damage to tissues to be a real risk.

Again, I agree that metal halide lamps without a filter glass would emit much more UV light and in a different region of the spectrum, but that does not make black lights any safer, right?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For doing such good research!! - Rue   hehe. - Tolley   nascar prize - sailor   Happy Birthday! - squirt_12   For rescuing feeders!  Way to go! - Rue   
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - NickFish   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - NickFish   Childhood Cancer - NickFish   Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - NickFish   

0 Not allowed!
    You can't breed glo fish. It is illegal.

Glo-fish are a patented animal, and although the suppliers say that they are sterilised, I'm willing to bet that a few of them aren't. If you did manage to breed them I wouldn't put it up on a public forum. The companies are very strict on controlling the supply of their "product".

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

How can I agree with you so much.  LOL - Lady Hobbs   for a successful cycle! - fins_n_fur   Caring for your sick fish - C-Dub   Good Luck! - Northernguy   Sorry - William   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - gourami*girl   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by NickFish
    You can't breed glo fish. It is illegal.

Glo-fish are a patented animal, and although the suppliers say that they are sterilised, I'm willing to bet that a few of them aren't. If you did manage to breed them I wouldn't put it up on a public forum. The companies are very strict on controlling the supply of their "product".
    Good catch, NickFish, I didn't realize it is illegal. I would also question whether they are really sterile, though, because where would the fish sold in stores come from in the first place (knock-in approaches are very costly and time-consuming and could not be done en-mass)?