· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Default Peppered cories spawning?!?

0 Not allowed!
    I think my peppered cories are spawning, I have three and I noticed they were acting kind of funny this morning, when I got closer I saw that the biggest one had her fins clamped together and was holding two eggs, and the other two were vibrating around her madly, even knocking on the glass and making noise. Then she deposited the eggs in a clump of Christmas moss. I did notice some weird looking things stuck to the glass in that area of the tank the other day, could they be cory eggs too?? I've never had fish spawn before and I don't really have the space to set up a fry tank, should I just leave everything alone and see what happens? I do have an empty 15 that I might be able to throw together... what should I do?

There must be something about the new tank, my mystery snails have been going at it like crazy all week too...

Also, I got a video of the little guys this morning, I'll try to upload it it later if anyone wants to see!
    Lindsay

23g FW Community ~ 2.5g antique slate-bottom plakat betta ~ 4g antique slate bottom plakat betta

0 Not allowed!
    I saw those for sale online yesterday and they aren't cheap. Good for you for having a spawn.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    I saw those for sale online yesterday and they aren't cheap. Good for you for having a spawn.
    Congrats on the spawn! Where I live peppered cory's are pretty cheap. I think you should set up the 15g and try to raise them.
    Last edited by troy; 08-16-2008 at 07:06 PM.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My peppered cories breed all the time. I just let them be in the tank and a lot of them make it. I just dropped off 20 to the LFS because it was getting very crowded. They've already spawned again now that there is room for more. Once they start, they never stop.

If there is enough hiding places in your tank, they'll find a way to make it.

Congrats!
    - Bill
    90G Reef Build Thread

90 Gallon Reef: Ocellaris Clowns, Midas Blenny, Ignitus Anthias, Various inverts
    20 Gallon SW Quarantine: Exquisite Wrasse
    10 Gallon SW Quarantine: Empty
    55 Gallon Community: Neon Tetras, Gold Neon Tetras, GloFish, Corydoras (paleatus & trilineatus), Otocinclus, Mollies, Platies, Apple Snails
    5 Gallon: Crowntail Betta, African Dwarf Frog

0 Not allowed!
    Congratulations on your eggs!!!

50G Tank - Kyathit Danios, Zebra Danio, Swordtails, Silver Hatchetfish, Platy, Gold Barbs, Cherry Barbs, Bolivian Rams, Apisto, Zebra Loaches.
    20G 'Nano Fish' Tank - Pygmy Rasboras, Lampeyes, Sparkling Gouramis, CPD, Bronze Corydoras, Cherry Shrimp
    Wanted: More CPD's and Loaches.
    Keep updated with my fish world in my Blog! And my tanks Blog!

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks guys! I was telling my aunt about it earlier today, and apparently while I was away and my 29 broke, she said when they moved my fish out of the rubbermaid and into the new tank there were 4 cories and one was absolutely tiny. I guess they've spawned before, lol, though I haven't seen any sign of a fourth cory in the new tank. I do have alot of moss and hiding spots, but I also borrowed a breeder net, should I put the eggs in the breeder net to hatch? If so, how do I remove them from the glass without smushing them? I think I'll probably just end up leaving them alone and seeing if any make it. I don't know! Either way I'm pretty excited, lol
    Lindsay

23g FW Community ~ 2.5g antique slate-bottom plakat betta ~ 4g antique slate bottom plakat betta

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    thats awsome congrats on the eggs

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Just leave them on the glass and they'll hatch. It seems to only take a day or two. I only notice the eggs after they hatch, so I never get the chance to move them.
    90G Reef Build Thread

90 Gallon Reef: Ocellaris Clowns, Midas Blenny, Ignitus Anthias, Various inverts
    20 Gallon SW Quarantine: Exquisite Wrasse
    10 Gallon SW Quarantine: Empty
    55 Gallon Community: Neon Tetras, Gold Neon Tetras, GloFish, Corydoras (paleatus & trilineatus), Otocinclus, Mollies, Platies, Apple Snails
    5 Gallon: Crowntail Betta, African Dwarf Frog

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Congrats...hope my cories have eggs someday!

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks again everybody!

How can I tell if the eggs have hatched? The ones that I can see stuck to the glass haven't really changed in appearance (could they be empty shells?) I watched her placing eggs in the moss but haven't been able to find them again. Maybe they've hatched and I've got some microscopic cories hiding somewhere. There's a cave right below the moss that nobody really goes into except for the danios, who only swim through one side and out the other in a split second.
    Lindsay