· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Needle Gar Pic

1. Default Yup

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Red Severum
    they only problem is that if they get spooked they will hit the glass and break there beaks....
    Several in the pet store had mangled beaks I assume it was from simular issues. It is a shame such a kewl fish. Hey Jardini's are "Jumpy" also, it seems alot of river fish are that way. It is funny the Jardini is such an aggressive fish yet if another fish startles him he jumps like a pansy....lol Fish are kewl you can watch them for hours & still not know all thier secrets...hehehe
    “Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine.” - Nikola Tesla

"GoT FiSh?"

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    awsome gar looks great.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by tanks4thememories
    Several in the pet store had mangled beaks I assume it was from simular issues. It is a shame such a kewl fish. Hey Jardini's are "Jumpy" also, it seems alot of river fish are that way. It is funny the Jardini is such an aggressive fish yet if another fish startles him he jumps like a pansy....lol Fish are kewl you can watch them for hours & still not know all thier secrets...hehehe
    Once Jardinii reaches 10 or 11 inch mark they get more aggressive than skittish....but 2 or 3% do get skittish..you should have a silver arowana which gets skittish for just about anything even when it is 2 or 3 feet long.....

AWESOME GAR.............
    It is better to reign in hell than to serve in heaven

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by tanks4thememories
    Well it isnt really a gar. We just call them that cause they look like Gars. These are from Asia.
    If he isn't a gar, what is he? Looks like a gar to me. There are several kinds and maybe you can find him here.

http://www.floridaconservation.org/f...ishes/gar.html

5. Default Thank You

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by donvichu
    Once Jardinii reaches 10 or 11 inch mark they get more aggressive than skittish....but 2 or 3% do get skittish..you should have a silver arowana which gets skittish for just about anything even when it is 2 or 3 feet long.....

AWESOME GAR.............

Thank you. YUP I used to have a silver about 15 yrs ago. Im going to get a black eventually. This time around I only ended up with this Jardini because he was such a beautiful specimen. When I went to get the silver they gave me a deal on 2( 4" Jardini & a 3" Silver) , but the silver didnt make it,,,:( I like the way silvers & Blacks look more than any other its just you need a huge tank for either of those.
    “Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine.” - Nikola Tesla

"GoT FiSh?"

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have one in my 110 gallon. Really cool fish but you have to feed him feeder fish. Kinda a pain in the butt but worth it. Also these fish are brackish fish so make sure you have some salt in the tank.
    110 Gallon Brackish Tank
    29 Gallon Reef Tank

0 Not allowed!
    Hobbs they arent gars.... i dont think they are related they are totally different from any of the tropical gars and are from asia

EDIT:http://aqualandpetsplus.com/Oddball,...nose%20Gar.htm
    Last edited by The Red Severum; 08-17-2008 at 07:19 PM.

8. Default `D` Needle Nose Gar Essay (Xenentodon Cancila) - from my blog

0 Not allowed!
    Needle Nose Gar Essay (Xenentodon Cancila)

Needle Nose Gar,Silver Needlefish, Stick Fish (Xenentodon cancila) is actually not a Gar at all, it is actually one of the few freshwater members of the Belonidae (Needlefishes)family. The Needle Nose Gar belongs to the Actinopterygii (ray-finned fishes) Class of fish.

This fish can typically be described as : Having An elongated, needle-shaped body with long, jaws lined with sharp teeth. The lower jaw is slightly longer than the
    upper. The back is light brown and the belly is silver-brown. A dark brown band runs from the tip of the jaws to the caudal fin. The rear edge of the caudal fin is convex. The fins are transparent & colorless.

Needle Gar are able to eat prey that is almost twice as thick as their own bodies. Full Grown they can reach a size of from 9"-16" although the lager range is most often only achieved in the wild.

These unique fish are very common in the slow moving streams (both fresh & slightly brackish waters) of; Asia-India, Sri Lanka, Thailand, and Burma. The climate of this species native enviornment is tropical; 71 – 82°F; 38°N - 5°N. The optimal water conditions for a Needle Gar in an aquarium are: pH 6.2-7.5 with (7.0) being Ideal, 6-20 dH with (9) being ideal, 71-84°F with 80 being ideal. If desired One can achieve A 1% salinity for thier tank by the Addition of 7.5 tsp. salt for every 10 gallons. Needle Nose Gar are preditory ambush hunters. Being a Carniverous fish, in the wild they commonly feast on crustaceans, crickets, & any fish that fit in its mouth. In the Home aquarium they can be fed: live shrimp, fish, crickets, tadpoles,frozen/defrosted shrimp or fish. They strongly prefer live feeder minnows most of all. Many Owners of this fish (myself included) report Needle Gar as only accepting live fish and often having trouble catching feeder goldfish.

In the home aquarium Needle Nose Gar are surface dwellers often treading water almost motionless (resembling a stick floating just beneath the surface of the water) waiting for its prey to venture into striking distance. Then with a very short "Jab" they snare the victim in thier needle sharp teeth (See Pic Below). Surface area in their aquarium is more important than tank capacity as this is where the needle fish will spend most of its time. This is a shoaling species and will be most happy if kept in 3's or more. You will find them stalking in a loose formation awaiting their next meal. They are compatible with any fish that doesnt fit in their mouth and any fish that wont bother them. Especially while young these fish have a fragile thin beak that can be broken or damaged easily. These fish can be considered "Jumpy" and special care must be taken to avoid startling them. Many keepers of this species report major injury, jumping out of the tank, or death as a result of the fish getting startled. It is also recommended that any aquarium housing this fish be well planted to provide "Ambush" opportunities & have a secure fitting lid so as to remain covered at all times. It should also be noted that owners of this fish also report it can sometimes mistake your fingers for food sometimes nipping first and investigating later. To avoid this I do not stick my fingers into the water right in front of them, instead I introduce my hand to the water a little distance away from the fish giving him time to recognize it as a non food item.

Pictures:

<span style="font-weight:bold;">My Needle Nose We call him "Garfeild"</span>

<span style="font-weight:bold;">Needle Nose Gar Teeth</span>

<span style="font-style:italic;">© 2007, © 2008 LA Productions
    aqualandpetsplus.com</span>

References:

Talwar, P.K. and A.G. Jhingran, 1991. Inland fishes of India and adjacent countries. Volume 2. A.A. Balkema,

Rotterdam. - ISBN-10: 9061911648, ISBN-13: 978-9061911647

http://fish.mongabay.com/species/Xen...n_cancila.html

http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fres...dleNoseGar.php

http://aqualandpetsplus.com/Oddball,...nose%20Gar.htm

http://aqualandpetsplus.com/Oddball,%20Gar.htm

http://www.aquaria.info/modules.php?...&name=database

http://www.fishbase.org/summary/Spec...y.php?id=10124
    Last edited by tanks4thememories; 08-17-2008 at 11:47 PM.

"GoT FiSh?"

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Red Severum
    Hobbs they arent gars.... i dont think they are related they are totally different from any of the tropical gars and are from asia

EDIT:http://aqualandpetsplus.com/Oddball,...nose%20Gar.htm
    Cool! Neat little fish. I couldn't tell by the pic but the link you sent shows them clearly.
    Kinda like bala sharks being referred to as sharks when they aren't sharks at all.

Thanks

10. Default They arent 100% Brackish

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mxman311
    I have one in my 110 gallon. Really cool fish but you have to feed him feeder fish. Kinda a pain in the butt but worth it. Also these fish are brackish fish so make sure you have some salt in the tank.
    They can be found in fresh water as well, in fact id say most of them are to be found natively in fresh water judging by the waters they are native to.

As to feeding them yup, tis true. My preditor tank is predominantly live food anyway so I dont mind the chour. The only thing is I have to feed with larger fish first otherwise when I put in the smaller ones other guys eat the needle Gar's food before he gets to it. Hey have you gotten yours to eat goldfish? Mines will occasionally but usually cant catch them...lol

"GoT FiSh?"