· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sump on reef?

1. Default Sump on reef?

0 Not allowed!
    I have been reading of reef tanks that use LR and powerheads with no extra filtering. Please help me to understand why some choose to add a sump to their reef. Wouldn't it compete with the LR for nutrients? or is it used when the reef has high fish bioload?

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sumps are used for extra water volume, hiding equipment from the main tank like heaters and skimmers so there is more room in the show tank. Also you can have things like refugiums and coral frag areas. Sumps won't compete with the tank LR as there is usually live rubble rock in them or macroalgae. Here is a link that explains benefits and what they are etc.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-01/gt/index.php

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    OK. I am thinking that a sump may not be worth it for me. I can fit a 20g under my stand but it isn't significant extra volume and I can't fit my protein skimmer in it. I couldn't fit enough LR in it to compare with my main tank. The other benefits would be nice, though.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom Great advice thanks - nraposa Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09 Always good answers - Lady Hobbs You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09 
    Thanks for your help again. - Lady Hobbs goodbye reptileguy....hello Fishguy - Lady Hobbs For always giving me great answere's on my PM's. Thanks for all the help! - cocoa_pleco Thanks For Your Help & Knowledge! :) - MeganL3985 For weakening me against axolotls!!!!!!! - Nick_Pavlovski 
    I am baking today and figured I'd share...Thanks for Always Helping when it's needed! - **AquaQueen** For recommending Fluvals and Stealths - Lady Hobbs Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985 Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer Thanks for the hikari help - Billythefish 
    No Message - LORENZO Merry Christmas - Northernguy merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO Merry X-Mas!! - The Red Severum 

0 Not allowed!
    The trend is leaning towards the best use for sumps being as refugiums as well as a place to put the skimmer (improperly adjusted skimmers can overflow, if they are hanging on the back of the tank this can be a huge problem) and other equipment. They are quickly not being associated with what they used to be: wet/dry filtration.
    Owner: Aquarium Maintenance and Pet Care Company
    Owner: Web Design Company
    Brian's Aquarium Care: Articles about many aspects of aquarium care.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    How big of a display are you going to have such that an extra 20g wouldn't be beneficial? Just getting the equipment out of the display made it worth it for me. The extra water volume and refuge was a nice bonus. It is really nice not to have to dig around in the display when you need to do maintainence on the equipment.

- Bill
    90G Reef Build Thread

90 Gallon Reef: Ocellaris Clowns, Midas Blenny, Ignitus Anthias, Various inverts
    20 Gallon SW Quarantine: Exquisite Wrasse
    10 Gallon SW Quarantine: Empty
    55 Gallon Community: Neon Tetras, Gold Neon Tetras, GloFish, Corydoras (paleatus & trilineatus), Otocinclus, Mollies, Platies, Apple Snails
    5 Gallon: Crowntail Betta, African Dwarf Frog

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by spudbuds
    How big of a display are you going to have such that an extra 20g wouldn't be beneficial?
    125g. Well, 20g would be beneficial, I'd have to agree.

Just getting the equipment out of the display made it worth it for me.
    <excuse me while I think aloud>
    My tank is not drilled, so I'd have to add an overflow and a return pipe, but on the other hand I could do away with one of the powerheads in the tank. I wouldn't have room for any real amount of LR in the sump, but I could do away with the heaters from the tank. I can remove the skimmer supply pipes from the tank, keep the water levels steady in the main tank and do easier water changes. I could even try a DSB.

LOL. It seems mainly for convenience and playing, but the more I think about it.......

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You have a 125g tank, but can only fit a 20g in the stand? Do you have any pics of the stand?

I bet someone in a local reef club could help you drill the tank. If not, a siphon overflow would work.

- Bill
    90G Reef Build Thread

90 Gallon Reef: Ocellaris Clowns, Midas Blenny, Ignitus Anthias, Various inverts
    20 Gallon SW Quarantine: Exquisite Wrasse
    10 Gallon SW Quarantine: Empty
    55 Gallon Community: Neon Tetras, Gold Neon Tetras, GloFish, Corydoras (paleatus & trilineatus), Otocinclus, Mollies, Platies, Apple Snails
    5 Gallon: Crowntail Betta, African Dwarf Frog

0 Not allowed!
    Well, you sound like you are in the situation I was in. My 125 is not drilled however I do have a Continuous Siphon Overflow and a 20gal long as my sump. I intend to upgrade at some point, I just need to find a tank that has the right dimensions. My stand is funny as well. Lengthwise I can fit a 55 but the height does not work. A 40gal breeder fits with the height and length but not in width. It is well worth it to add the sump though. If just for the added volume it is worth it because that extra water volume does help make it easier to keep the tank stable.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

Awards Showcase

Here ya go. - Tigerbarb A little something for a friend!! - Patriot Thanks for being there! - NickFish have a gift - mitcore :D - harls_aussie 
    I hope your dwarf gourami gets better!!! - Blue Ram A little something for my troubles - Tigerbarb Here you go mate! - Tolley My gift, lol - Tigerbarb Another one of my gifts lol - Tigerbarb 
    happy birthday - digger MORE!!! - Tigerbarb thanks! - The Red Severum you have no frog lol - angelcakes the closest thing to a moorish idol :) - Tigerbarb 
    here you go :) - OscarFan Have an oscar bud! - Soxfan For you my homie - xximanoobxx Happy Holidays - travie Merry Christmas - KingFisher 

0 Not allowed!
    I had never thought about how a sump would increase water volume. Looks like I will be adding a 10-20g sump to my 20, getting more live rock, and adding more fish.
    Last edited by Tigerbarb; 08-20-2008 at 07:58 PM.
    "Everybody knows, you only live a day, but it's brilliant anyway..."
    Elliott smith

20g nano reef
    55g FOWLR saltwater
    29g planted freshwater
    10g planted freshwater

0 Not allowed!
    What species of Dwarf Angel are you thinking about Tigerbarb? There's really only one that would be ok in your tank and that is the African Flameback.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown