· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Bullheads&Stonecat

0 Not allowed!
    Hi all,
    this is my first post, so a little background info.
    About a year ago I was out fishing with my son while hubby was at work, we caught a decent sized (about 11 inches) bullhead cat. My plan was bring it along with the bluegill home and have dinner. Much to my suprise the bullhead was still alive after a 30minute hike in 100+ degree temps and no water. Long story shory my son begged me not to kill him, so we put him in the tank I had been cycling to put Oscars in (no I never did get my Oscars lol). About 2 weeks later, little one brought me another smaller bullhead as a pet. Recently we aquired a Stonecat, 6 inches of pure appatite and cuteness.
    Before anyone asked I checked with the local game wardens, Im ok to keep wild fish as pets as long as I keep a fishing permit and remember to count them as part of my total catch each day. Since there isnt a limit on bullheads up here, Im good to hook so to speak.

I guess my questions are:
    Does anyone else keep bullies or stonecats as pets
    Am I feeding them wrong? They get cichlid pellets, nightcrawlers, and beef or chicken liver (the liver is a once a week thing as it tends to gunk the tank up)
    Im keeping them in a 100 gal tank, with an 11 inch gold fish (yet another fishing mis-adventure, some idiot put them in a local lake, I caught it, the law says I cant put it back so I brought the poor thing home being unable to bring myself to murder it).
    They have lots of rocks/java moss and pond weeds to hide in.
    Over all they seem to be happy, and are prone to antics that rival any cichlid Ive ever had when they decide its dinner time.
    Also, I have the chance to donate them to a large educational display tank, but they would be kept with bass, trout, bluegill, pike and other mid-west native species. Would that be unfair to my babies to put them in there where they would have other, more violent species to compete with?
    All I really know about cats is what Ive learned keeping cories and plecs (and the 3 inch long bullhead baby I got at the pet store a few months back, he lives with the cory cats for now and is in love with my female betta), and what I know about catching and eating them (its getting hard to hunt for cats, I keep thinkin "Hey, that could be Big Boy or Stonies cousin youre eating!").
    So any advice?

Across the great pond from the state of Seattle

Awards Showcase

have an octopus - angelcakes a clownfish for your super sense of humor!!!! - ladyoutlaw50 doning the superman suit - Lady Hobbs Let's have a Drink ;) - Fishalicious For the wife! - Lady Hobbs 
    thanks buddy for your help - angelcakes somebody gotta show you love :) - The Red Severum Thanks for all your help with my cherries!! Crawfish was the closest to a CS - Gemini Thanks for the photo lesson! - northernguy Have a drink on me.. hope tomorrow is a better day x - Fishalicious 
    welcome back! - Jacko 

0 Not allowed!
    Donate them they get really large #1 and #2 they can compete with the native fish or they would not have survived this long....
    This posting was approved by:
    William S. Burt

All words in this post are completly fictional, any resemblence to actual words is strictly a cowinky dink. No Animals were harmed in the making of this post. Now as far as Humans go there were probably a few hurt and maybe even killed. Please do not copy and paste this post with out the expressed written consent of the owner. Quoting is allowed but only too boost the owners already over inflated ego.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sounguru
    Donate them they get really large #1 and #2 they can compete with the native fish or they would not have survived this long....
    Are you sure they get really large? I mean Ive been told that my bigger one is close to the state record for bullheads. I was under the impression they are one of the smaller (on average) of the American cats, as are the Stonecat.
    Also its one thing for them to have to compete for food in a large area, but in a smaller area like a tank, with several large pike, wouldnt they become the food? Ive seen pike come up and take small ducks off of the lake, I can just imagine how long it would take for one of the pike to decide it was tired of minnows and pellets and go for something bigger.

Across the great pond from the state of Seattle

Awards Showcase

have an octopus - angelcakes a clownfish for your super sense of humor!!!! - ladyoutlaw50 doning the superman suit - Lady Hobbs Let's have a Drink ;) - Fishalicious For the wife! - Lady Hobbs 
    thanks buddy for your help - angelcakes somebody gotta show you love :) - The Red Severum Thanks for all your help with my cherries!! Crawfish was the closest to a CS - Gemini Thanks for the photo lesson! - northernguy Have a drink on me.. hope tomorrow is a better day x - Fishalicious 
    welcome back! - Jacko 

0 Not allowed!
    Well what we called bullheads and what you call bullheads may be 2 different things....

Hold on going to look......

Okay back if what you have is one of these...http://www.katmasters.com/catfishid....bf5700e9155a72 Then by all means keep it...those don't get bigger than about a foot.

If you happen to have one of these. That when I was a kid we commonly called bullheads...then give it away...http://www.katmasters.com/catfishid.php?mode=flathead these are monsters...

If the tank has plenty of space and proper habitat then the bullheads will do just fine as long as the pike are fed on a regular basis.. But like I said if it is the smaller one then I would keep them myself. I'm looking at setting up a small native tank myself...
    This posting was approved by:
    William S. Burt

All words in this post are completly fictional, any resemblence to actual words is strictly a cowinky dink. No Animals were harmed in the making of this post. Now as far as Humans go there were probably a few hurt and maybe even killed. Please do not copy and paste this post with out the expressed written consent of the owner. Quoting is allowed but only too boost the owners already over inflated ego.