· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Possible Fish Illness

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, this morning, my betta started acting weird. He was fine, the I took out the filter line to clean it and when I put it back in and turned it on, he was unable to swim away and his long tendril fins kept getting sucked in and stuck and he'd go frantic trying to escape so I turned it off and he's still in the same area swimming slowing. Not sure wqhats wrong with him, but I tried looking online to see if I could find anything and from what I've found it sounds like Bloating/Consitaption, but would those cause an inability to swim away from a filter hose?

The symptoms are like, he has a bit of a bloated belly, some really light yellow coloring on the webing between his fins, he's been swimming a bit eradictly, like head facing the bottom, and not leaving the one spot.

I have no clue what it really is, I tried to see if it was Ick or another common one but he has no white spots or nothing.. Could it just be bloating/constipation and go with the treatment of not feeding for a few days or what should I do?

He gets Betta Flake food, Spirunla, and Blood worms through out the week so it's not the same diet or same thing over and over

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    He may have SWIM BLADDER DISORDER. You can check out Bettatalk.com under Betta Health ->Betta Diseases. If that is the case, you probably need to feed him a lot less than usual. I hope this help.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

god im hungry - cocoa_pleco   You make me laugh! - Drumachine09   And lots of pizza too! lol - Chrona   wish i had some of this to drink right now - cocoa_pleco   DAAAAAM, this drink looks good - cocoa_pleco   
    Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - cocoa_pleco   Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - cocoa_pleco   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - cocoa_pleco   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - cocoa_pleco   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - cocoa_pleco   

0 Not allowed!
    swim bladder is serious. Do not feed the betta for a week ( they can go about a month without food before death), and let him get everything out of his system.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom   buy a new heater - hobbs   For going off to fight for our country - Drumachine09   I just wanted to get myself a little something nice. - Glasstapper   

0 Not allowed!
    The yellow on the webbing on his fins.... does it look like fuzz or more just like a discoloration? If it's fuzzy, it could be a fungus.

Usually constipation won't cause him to act any differently. He'll just have a fat belly and behave the same. Too much protein in his diet can cause constipation (like the bloodworms). I give mine bloodworms only once a week.

Good luck with your betta.
    This is my witty and clever signature. You like? :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer   For the donation...thanks! - A340   Merry Christmas :) - squirt_12   Merry Christmas! - SkarloeysMom   Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!! - 2manyfish   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Drumachine09   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Drumachine09   Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - Drumachine09   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Drumachine09   Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - Drumachine09   

0 Not allowed!
    If he is constipated, give hime something high in fiber, like crushed green peas, or little peices of brocolii softend in the micro wave.
    Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can pay the rent.