· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is this normal behavior for ottos?

0 Not allowed!
    Yesterday I got two new ottos, and put them in the tank, wich had two older ones. Now i've noticed they are kind of "sucking" on each other.
    Also some of them are chasing around the other fish, the tetras and danios. Is this normal??? It all seems fine but i was wondering if it was normal for them to do.

Before I got these two new ones, i rarely got to see the older two, for a while there I thought I only had one left. But now it seems like thier all out, having fun.

Thanks for any replys!

2. Default Otto cats

0 Not allowed!
    Otto cats are a schooling fish. They like to be in groups so their swimming a round together is normal.
    Not sure about the sucking on the other fish. I know they like to swim together and that sometimes frightens the other fish.
    Are you adding any food for them. If there isn't enough algue they may be hungery. Add some algue waffers or pellets once in a while to give them the extra food.
    Good Luck
    Catherine

Just One More Betta

Awards Showcase

Have a drink on me - Dave66 From a fellow BC boy - sailor For making a great game - Futureboy thanks for the rep. - robnepper Congrats on your Gold Award :) - SkinnyChicken 
    To make up for not voting you in...lol :) - MeganL3985 Have a great trip! - MeganL3985 Happy B'day - donvichu sounds like you need a beer Doug - sailor Nice job on new tank - Lady Hobbs 
    tribbles - Commodore 64 One more for the school! - Wild Turkey Seasons Greetings, have anice Christmas. - Brookfish Feliz Navidad !!! - Alfcea Happy Holidays! - Wild Turkey 
    Merry Christmas - Northernguy Congrats TOTM - Northernguy Happy Birthday Mate - fraggle Thanks, good to see you back! - Brookfish 
    Autism - doug z Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - doug z 

0 Not allowed!
    Better yet, give them some blanched zucchini..

Here's some feeding tips, oto profile:

Feeding Otocinclus by Dave66

One of the most misunderstood fish available are those of the Genus Otocinclus. They are usually kept wrongly or fed wrongly, or both. As I've seen a need on AC for a quick refresher course on how to keep them, I decided to do this post as a how-to.
    Keep in mind this feeding program works with many primarily herbivorous Loricariads, including all the Bristlenose cats, as well as fish from other families, like Mollies, who must have real algae in their diets to truly thrive and have larger, more numerous and healthier fry.
    First and foremost, either take them back unopened or throw them away, those so-called 'alga wafers' are one of the main causes of disease and early death of Otocinclus. There is no algae in the wafers, as Spirolina is a cyanobacteria.
    Though some Otocinclus will eat them, or at least try to, when they are starving, it is exactly the same as feeding a human being only potato chips. Though they would survive for a time, the person and the fish would both die early from disease caused by malnutrition.
    There is nothing wrong with using 'algae' wafers as a small part of the Otocinclus diet as variation is important for these fish for complete nutrition, as it is for all fish, and people for that matter.
    The Number One most important food for Otocinclus is good, fresh, green algae. Culturing it is ridiculously simple (sunlight, water, rounded stones, ammonia source) but absolutely essential if you want to keep Otocinclus or any of their relatives alive and thriving long term. Green algae is the staple food.
    If you wish details on how to culture green algae please click here.
    Simply place the algae-covered stones on the gravel in the corners of the tank just before or just after lights out.
    Other foods that should be provided for your Otocinclus on a daily basis are fresh vegetables. Leafy vegetables should be pounded until a good bit of the plant flesh is visible. The big three of leafy vegetables are Romaine lettuce, Leaf Spinach and Kale. Never, ever use Iceberg lettuce, as it has no nutrition for people, much less fish.
    Leafy vegetables should be attached to the side of the tank the Otocinclus frequent with commonly available aquarium clips designed to hold marine Macroalgae and the like.
    Harder vegetables should be blanched (dunked in boiling water for a few minutes until moderately soft) until al dente. The big two are Zucchini and Cucumber, though there are many that are suitable for Otocinclus. You can try carrots, oranges, butternut squash, apples, pears, peaches; literally any harder vegetables will work, as long as they aren't toxic or otherwise unpalatable. In other words, if you can eat it, the Otocinclus probably can as well. You'll have to blanch the carrots and squash, but the others can be served raw. Peel and core apples, remove the pit and matter around it in peaches. Peel and remove as much of the covering on oranges as you can. Just slice the hard vegetables in halves. Most will need to be sunk. Use a clean teaspoon or a screwcumber or similar to submerge the hard veggies.
    As with all vegetables and green algae, if you place them in the same areas nightly, the Otocinclus will quickly learn where to go for dinner. Vegetables should be left in the tank 24 hours, promptly removing any that remains.
    Any vegetable should be thoroughly washed under the faucet before use. If you have an organic grocery nearby, though the vegetables may be somewhat more expensive, they are better for you and the fish.

Otocinclus come from the vast floating meadows in the Amazon system. They and dazzling numbers of shrimp feed on the algae that covers the underside of those meadows.
    Thus, to keep them properly, one is obligated to keep them in a well-planted, established, aquarium. As most plants do best between pH 6.8 and 7.2 in moderately soft water, planted tanks are ideal for Otocinclus, as they enjoy the same water parameters that the plants do. The major plus of keeping a troupe of Otocinclus in your planted tank you'll have no problems with algae popping up on your plants and decor. The Otocinclus will eat the algae when its still soft, preventing an outbreak.
    Otocinclus should be kept in groups of at least six, though the more you have, the better they will all do.
    There are several species of Otocinclus available, with O. affinis the most common. All, along with their close relatives Paratocinclus, can be kept basically the same way.
    Discuss This Entry
    75g - 20 cardinals : 7 panda cory : 5 Julii cory : 9 zebra danios : 1 CAE : 2 SAE : 2 yo-yos : 1 BN
    25g: 5 long-finned zebra danios

0 Not allowed!
    thanks guys, there is lots of algae in there for them, i do have algae wafers, and i am going to feed them veggies, i have zucchini and cucumbers and carrots upstairs

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If I remember right their are two kinds of otos and one of them is carniverous and will try to eat the slime off other fish.

Awards Showcase

Have a drink on me - Dave66 From a fellow BC boy - sailor For making a great game - Futureboy thanks for the rep. - robnepper Congrats on your Gold Award :) - SkinnyChicken 
    To make up for not voting you in...lol :) - MeganL3985 Have a great trip! - MeganL3985 Happy B'day - donvichu sounds like you need a beer Doug - sailor Nice job on new tank - Lady Hobbs 
    tribbles - Commodore 64 One more for the school! - Wild Turkey Seasons Greetings, have anice Christmas. - Brookfish Feliz Navidad !!! - Alfcea Happy Holidays! - Wild Turkey 
    Merry Christmas - Northernguy Congrats TOTM - Northernguy Happy Birthday Mate - fraggle Thanks, good to see you back! - Brookfish 
    Autism - doug z Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - doug z 

0 Not allowed!
    otos and one of them is carnivorous
    I'm pretty sure this is an urban legend of sorts..

A myth perpetuated by aquarists who misconstrue the behavior of some otos as aggressive and carnivorous, rather than playful, starving, or stressed.

As for sucking on other fish, there could be food they're sucking on..
    Last edited by doug z; 08-11-2008 at 01:17 AM.
    75g - 20 cardinals : 7 panda cory : 5 Julii cory : 9 zebra danios : 1 CAE : 2 SAE : 2 yo-yos : 1 BN

Awards Showcase

god im hungry - cocoa_pleco You make me laugh! - Drumachine09 And lots of pizza too! lol - Chrona wish i had some of this to drink right now - cocoa_pleco DAAAAAM, this drink looks good - cocoa_pleco 
    There. Thats better. - Drumachine09 maybe one day we can enjoy one of these - sergo Congrats you recived a RAK gift enjoy! - DemonShark RAK - DemonShark RAK - DemonShark 
    Cheers! - Nick_Pavlovski Since Wendy's is only open 4 hours! - aliz340 For Your Help And Friendship - MeganL3985 Hope you a good time in Germany - alizee340 Good to have you back around the forum! - Nick_Pavlovski 
    Thanks....you could use some Luck with your fish too! - **AquaQueen** I'm baking today and figured I'd share...Thanks for helping whne it's needed! - **AquaQueen** Back at you, CP! - Dave66 You send me fruit I send you pizza!! LOL!! - 2manyfish a fish for the new 5.5g salt! lol - cocoa_pleco 
    Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - cocoa_pleco Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - cocoa_pleco Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - cocoa_pleco Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - cocoa_pleco World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - cocoa_pleco 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - cocoa_pleco Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - cocoa_pleco Childhood Cancer - cocoa_pleco Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - cocoa_pleco 

0 Not allowed!
    they like plecos usually just have a taste for other fishes slime coat, ive never heard of carnivorous ones

0 Not allowed!
    well the sucking isn't hardcore, lol, its just like thier hanging on to the other.

Thier doing good, i put in some zucchini yeasterday-this morning, but the ottos didn't really have anything to do with it, but on the other hand the other fish loved it. The gouramis and the little platy in there picked at it lots.

Well the ottos are doing good, thier all out sucking away and having fun, thanks for the posts guys!!!

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Hmm.. Weird that they're not liking the zucchini..

Are you blanching it for a bit?

Might take you a bit to find a veggie that they'll like, it looks like..

Try some blanched green beans, maybe, or peas..

0 Not allowed!
    yes i blanched it, but it may just take a little while to get them to know its there, and well i have a bunch of different stuff in the garden, so i'll try new veggies eventually