· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Question How Active Are Red Cherry shrimp?

0 Not allowed!
    How active are they? Do they constantly run/swim around the tank or are they slower moving and more lazy looking? The first day I put them in, they were jetting around everywhere. Over the next few days they have become much slower moving. Most of them find a place and just sit around. Some dig around the sand while others perch on plants. Several have already molted. Two have also died. Checked water parameters and they're fine. During feeding they don't all swarm to the algae wafer. After about 10 minutes some finally realize it's there and start munching. Is this normal? Thanks.
    Last edited by TRDNiteLife; 08-09-2008 at 04:37 PM.
    150 G Frontosa Tank

Across the great pond from the state of Seattle

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

have an octopus - angelcakes   a clownfish for your super sense of humor!!!! - ladyoutlaw50   doning the superman suit - Lady Hobbs   Let's have a Drink ;) - Fishalicious   For the wife! - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    Yep all sounds normal except for the dying part.... Are you sure they died or was it a left behing molt... I thought I had lost one or 2 in the first few days but upon recount realized it was a molt I saw....
    This posting was approved by:
    William S. Burt

All words in this post are completly fictional, any resemblence to actual words is strictly a cowinky dink. No Animals were harmed in the making of this post. Now as far as Humans go there were probably a few hurt and maybe even killed. Please do not copy and paste this post with out the expressed written consent of the owner. Quoting is allowed but only too boost the owners already over inflated ego.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    Are you sure your water is fine? I've never had any of mine die that fish didn't eat. The females especially stick close to the bottom and crawl around on stuff. The males swim around more than the females.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sounguru
    Yep all sounds normal except for the dying part.... Are you sure they died or was it a left behing molt... I thought I had lost one or 2 in the first few days but upon recount realized it was a molt I saw....
    The molted shells have all been clear and the dead shrimp have been pink and sometimes curled.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    Are you sure your water is fine? I've never had any of mine die that fish didn't eat. The females especially stick close to the bottom and crawl around on stuff. The males swim around more than the females.
    They are in their own tank, so no fish could eat them. I put filter media from my 72 in the shrimp tank filter. When I say the water is fine, the Amm - 0, Nitrites - 0, Nitrates - 0-5. Ph between 7.6-7.8.
    Last edited by TRDNiteLife; 08-09-2008 at 06:49 PM.
    150 G Frontosa Tank

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats!!!!! - Gayle   Congrats on your degree! - fins_n_fur   Congratulations on your award - Celtic Fins   Merry Christmas - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    mine are pretty active... but then again maybe it's just do to i have a lot and only a few are moving around at a time.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Because of you I saved a fish!! - 2manyfish   Thanks for all of the help that you have given me :) - squirt_12   to my new buddy - mitcore   For being you! - NickFish   Here is a hotdog for a good Freind! - Patriot   

0 Not allowed!
    Complete guess here but maybe it is the temperature? What is it?

50G Tank - Kyathit Danios, Zebra Danio, Swordtails, Silver Hatchetfish, Platy, Gold Barbs, Cherry Barbs, Bolivian Rams, Apisto, Zebra Loaches.
    20G 'Nano Fish' Tank - Pygmy Rasboras, Lampeyes, Sparkling Gouramis, CPD, Bronze Corydoras, Cherry Shrimp
    Wanted: More CPD's and Loaches.
    Keep updated with my fish world in my Blog! And my tanks Blog!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tolley
    Complete guess here but maybe it is the temperature? What is it?
    Temp is about 77/78.
    150 G Frontosa Tank

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Because of you I saved a fish!! - 2manyfish   Thanks for all of the help that you have given me :) - squirt_12   to my new buddy - mitcore   For being you! - NickFish   Here is a hotdog for a good Freind! - Patriot   

0 Not allowed!
    Ok scratch that idea. Sorry i'm no help.

50G Tank - Kyathit Danios, Zebra Danio, Swordtails, Silver Hatchetfish, Platy, Gold Barbs, Cherry Barbs, Bolivian Rams, Apisto, Zebra Loaches.
    20G 'Nano Fish' Tank - Pygmy Rasboras, Lampeyes, Sparkling Gouramis, CPD, Bronze Corydoras, Cherry Shrimp
    Wanted: More CPD's and Loaches.
    Keep updated with my fish world in my Blog! And my tanks Blog!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

RAK - DemonShark   CONGRATULATIONS DADDY - Lady Hobbs   for new bed - Lady Hobbs   for new wife - Lady Hobbs   to remodel steps - Lady Hobbs   
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Algenco   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Algenco   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Algenco   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Algenco   Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - Algenco   

0 Not allowed!
    deaths could be shrimp that molted, they must have good hiding places (Thick moss) for a few days until their shell hardens. During this time other shrimp can and do attack and kill them.

Having that many molt within days of placing them in the tank usually indicates stress of some type
    As I get older I find myself thinking about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

AC's Free Aquarium Ebook

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

a gift as a thank you for adding me as a buddy! - *Sarah*   Congrats on the new fry :) - *Sarah*   *kicks* :P - Drumachine09   Just because! - 2manyfish   Have a great Birthday! - CAF   
    Childhood Cancer - squirt_12   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - squirt_12   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - squirt_12   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by TRDNiteLife
    The molted shells have all been clear and the dead shrimp have been pink and sometimes curled.
    If the ones that you think are dead are pink then that means that they are dead. Molts are just clear. But if its pink and curled that means that they are dead. I don't know to why they are dead but it sounds like you did lose the ones that are pink.