· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Living in Victoria, Canada; Born in Mexico City

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My neons and other fishies thank you for your help!! - fishymommy   For the good health of your plants and their strong growth! - W_Oz   have a guppy, lol, we have about 60 fry - labnjab   ahh you need more gifts!! - The Red Severum   Why have I never gave you a gift?! - Tolley   

Question So, I made a big mistake. Now what?

0 Not allowed!
    Hello guys!

I made a big mistake with my amazon sword. Since it was getting a little too big I decided to cut the crown/rossette in two halves... I remembered reading a thread about cutting it... but now that I found the thread again I realized that I shouldn't have. Too bad...

Fact is, I have already cut it. What can I do now? Should I just watch it die? Why is the crown so vital? Is there any hope it will heal? Won't each half retain the cellular totipotentiality? Why/why not? What can I do to help it?

Any advice will be greately appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My neons and other fishies thank you for your help!! - fishymommy   For the good health of your plants and their strong growth! - W_Oz   have a guppy, lol, we have about 60 fry - labnjab   ahh you need more gifts!! - The Red Severum   Why have I never gave you a gift?! - Tolley   

0 Not allowed!
    Anybody has any ideas?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the nice post - Lady Hobbs   a gift your you! - squirt_12   beautiful blue discus - Algenco   felt like it - Lady Hobbs   for all the help! - squirt_12   
    Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - ILuvMyGoldBarb   

0 Not allowed!
    I can't give you the biology of it, but it has been my experience, and the experience of many others that a rosette that has been cut generally dies.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Unhappy

0 Not allowed!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the nice post - Lady Hobbs   a gift your you! - squirt_12   beautiful blue discus - Algenco   felt like it - Lady Hobbs   for all the help! - squirt_12   
    Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - ILuvMyGoldBarb   

0 Not allowed!
    I found this for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquarium Frontiers On-Line
    Most rosette plants cannot be “pruned” like a stem plant. With Vallisneria and Sagittaria, some people trim the ends of the leaves if they lay across the water surface and block light. The disadvantage of this method of trimming is that the damaged end of the leaf often begins to rot. Eventually, the whole leaf will die back. The best answer is to use those species that will not outgrow the height of the tank they are kept in. Alternatively, it is preferable to remove the longer outside leaves while allowing the shorter, young inner leaves to grow rather than to damage the leaves by shortening them.
    This was taken from Aquarium Frontiers On-Line
    Excellent article on the propagation of different kinds of plants.
    Last edited by ILuvMyGoldBarb; 08-08-2008 at 01:30 AM.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks! Now we know that rosette plants cannot be trimmed like stem plants... Maybe the only way to trim them is just to cut off the old, dead looking leaves... I hope my "two plants" can survive, though. It's been a week since I cut the rosette and so far, there aren't any signs of rotting and one of the halves is even throwing out a new leaf... lets see how it develops...

Thanks!