· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A poor sub for your Betta - Nick_Pavlovski   Here's a ram for ya - Lady Hobbs   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Carlos_x3   

Default Stuck my hand in my tank with open wound

0 Not allowed!
    I started doing some rock scaping in my 30 gallon, totally forgot about a pretty bad cut on my thumb from 2 days ago, it is not wrapped up. I had my hand in the tank for approx. 5 mins. Was wondering if I should be worried about a infection or a deadly case of flesh rot.
    30g Long Planted South American BioTope Blue Rams & Apisto + Community
    Formerly Carlos_x3, RamGuy13

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Nope your fine. Just keep it clean. I always have scratches on my hands and have not had a problem yet

Quote Originally Posted by RamGuy13
    I started doing some rock scaping in my 30 gallon, totally forgot about a pretty bad cut on my thumb from 2 days ago, it is not wrapped up. I had my hand in the tank for approx. 5 mins. Was wondering if I should be worried about a infection or a deadly case of flesh rot.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a drink on me - Dave66   From a fellow BC boy - sailor   For making a great game - Futureboy   thanks for the rep. - robnepper   Congrats on your Gold Award :) - SkinnyChicken   
    Autism - doug z   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - doug z   

0 Not allowed!
    If you're really worried about it rub in some alcohol or polysporin..

If it starts to get hot and pussy, see a doc for some antibiotics, but you should be fine.

Do try to keep it clean and dry, though.
    75g - 20 cardinals : 7 panda cory : 5 Julii cory : 9 zebra danios : 1 CAE : 2 SAE : 2 yo-yos : 1 BN
    25g: 5 long-finned zebra danios

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

god im hungry - cocoa_pleco   You make me laugh! - Drumachine09   And lots of pizza too! lol - Chrona   wish i had some of this to drink right now - cocoa_pleco   DAAAAAM, this drink looks good - cocoa_pleco   
    Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - cocoa_pleco   Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - cocoa_pleco   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - cocoa_pleco   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - cocoa_pleco   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - cocoa_pleco   

0 Not allowed!
    if one of your fish had TB, it could transfer to you, but the chances that one of your fish had TB and bumped into the wound are like 1/1000. you should be fine

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

just felt like celebrating today. - gabbyguppy   thanks for the plants - mommy1   Congrats on the new cube tank! - Pleco380   GRRR back at you - mommy1   Thanks for all the plants! - Lab_Rat   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Jacko   

0 Not allowed!
    It will be plenty fine, I do it all the time. Yesterday morning I got a nasty gash on my thumb as well and did my waterchanges yesterday, haven't had issues with it in the past and haven't had issues with it yesterday/today.

Clean it with some warm water and soap, put some neosporin on it and put a bandaid on it just as a precaution. Like cocao said, unless you have a fish with TB then I wouldn't worry about it.

Randomness... if you eat your fish and they have chinese liver flukes you'll get them too.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Because You Need A Gift - MeganL3985   For Your Green Efforts - MeganL3985   For your great posts! - alfcea   Feliz Navidad !!! - Alfcea   Thank you for always being willing and quick to help - Gemini   

0 Not allowed!
    I put my hands in the tank with scratches all the time. Can't really be helped with 5 cats in the house.

If it's a pretty bad cut I'd put some antiseptic cream on it, if it's closed up I'd just leave it, but if it starts to ache or has pus coming out of it I'd rub some antiseptic cream on it.

Only time you'd need to go to the doctor's for antibiotics is if it's badly infected AND you come down with a fever.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a drink on me - Dave66   From a fellow BC boy - sailor   For making a great game - Futureboy   thanks for the rep. - robnepper   Congrats on your Gold Award :) - SkinnyChicken   
    Autism - doug z   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - doug z   

0 Not allowed!
    Only time you'd need to go to the doctor's for antibiotics is if it's badly infected AND you come down with a fever.
    Hmm.. I wouldn't care to leave it that long myself, but hey.. LOL
    75g - 20 cardinals : 7 panda cory : 5 Julii cory : 9 zebra danios : 1 CAE : 2 SAE : 2 yo-yos : 1 BN
    25g: 5 long-finned zebra danios

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill   Happy New year - Celtic Fins   May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins   2001 posts! - Northernguy   For your helpful fry advice - Cliff   

0 Not allowed!
    There have been a few (quite rare occurences overall) cases of nasty infections from SW tanks, but I don't recall anything similar from FW aquarium exposure of cuts.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Because You Need A Gift - MeganL3985   For Your Green Efforts - MeganL3985   For your great posts! - alfcea   Feliz Navidad !!! - Alfcea   Thank you for always being willing and quick to help - Gemini   

0 Not allowed!
    Well I have a thing where whenever I buy new shoes, I get blisters on my heels. And the last few years these blister have become infected every single time. That is, they fill with pus instead of clear liquid. And it's painful and it smells. I put some antiseptic on and it's gone the next day.

Same thing with infected scratches from cats. I've never had to see a doctor because I had pus coming out of a wound. They don't even leave scars.

So in my opinion if you see a doctor about a little scratch, you're a bit hysterical and a bit of a whimp. Just my humble opinion:)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Just because... - alfcea   for starting a saltwater tank - cocoa_pleco   Tanks really coming together! - oldhead   merry christmas - cocoa_pleco   Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!  :) - KrytterKrys   

0 Not allowed!
    I'm a mechanic so there isn't a day i don't have a scratch or cut on my hand and i haven't had any problems with putting it into a tank.

29 gallon-planted community

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish

75 gallon mixed reef with 20 gallon sump