· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Awesome Goldfish at Petstore

0 Not allowed!
    I think it's a Ryukin, quite beautiful probably the most gorgious goldfish I've ever seen, it's a good 5-6 inches long or close to that, it's 12.00 orange and white with beautiful markings and excellent tail. I would buy it for my 55 gallon but I don't just want goldfish in the tank and if I got him/her I'd have to have a dedicated tank for coldwater fish. However I'm really close to changing my mind, what kind of fish can be kept with goldfish (algae eaters and such/other fish also).

0 Not allowed!
    You could have weather loaches with goldfish.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It is really best to keep them by themselves, and separated between the common and fancy varieties. Try to keep it either all common or all fancy as the selective breeding in fancy goldfish has made them much slower/blind/etc. compaired to their common counterparts. It may seem kind of silly to have only a tank of goldfish but believe me some of the most beautiful freshwater tanks i've seen kept just gorgeous fancy goldfish. I believe the yo-yo loach can be kept with them but really not a whole lot goes good with them.

0 Not allowed!
    I have a dedicated goldfish tank and its the most interesting to watch, they all have a really good personality and are always up to something.

29 gallon-planted community

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish

75 gallon mixed reef with 20 gallon sump

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    cant plecos be kept, and snails?

0 Not allowed!
    Snails are fine, i have a black mystery snail in with mine but i think plecos need warmer temperatures.

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by labnjab
    I have a dedicated goldfish tank and its the most interesting to watch, they all have a really good personality and are always up to something.
    x2, I love my 75 gallon goldfish tank, it is so fun to sit infront of and watch all of the fish swim around.

But I do have long bodies and round bodies in the same tank (one common, one commet, one oranda, one ryukin, and one pearscale) and they all get along fine, and there is no problems with them eating enough either. Trust me, a fancy goldfish can become a beast once the food hits the water.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by graceluvsplatys
    cant plecos be kept, and snails?
    Snails can I would be cautious about a pleco with goldfish because i've seen some nasty horror stories where the pleco will feed on the goldfishs slime coat at night. They get really nasty infected sores.

0 Not allowed!
    Trust me, a fancy goldfish can become a beast once the food hits the water.
    Yeah they can, especially my Shubukin, If i put a few peas in, their gone before they hit the bottom. My larger black more swallows peas whole. I have a bare bottom tank and i never see any food on the bottom, they eat it all...lol

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom Great advice thanks - nraposa Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09 Always good answers - Lady Hobbs You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09 
    Thanks for your help again. - Lady Hobbs goodbye reptileguy....hello Fishguy - Lady Hobbs For always giving me great answere's on my PM's. Thanks for all the help! - cocoa_pleco Thanks For Your Help & Knowledge! :) - MeganL3985 For weakening me against axolotls!!!!!!! - Nick_Pavlovski 
    I am baking today and figured I'd share...Thanks for Always Helping when it's needed! - **AquaQueen** For recommending Fluvals and Stealths - Lady Hobbs Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985 Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer Thanks for the hikari help - Billythefish 
    No Message - LORENZO Merry Christmas - Northernguy merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO Merry X-Mas!! - The Red Severum 

0 Not allowed!
    Another issue with mixing the two main types of goldfish is that I have had common seat the cap on ranchus and orandas. Commons are also so active usually that although they may seem fine, when the more active commons are removed the fancies tend to settle in and become more active. No need to mix them.

I would not do any plecos. I had a ranchu lose an eye and another was torn up really badly on both sides of its body by a species generally considered 'safe'.

There are other fish that are safe. Guppies, platies, white cloud mountain minnows, dojo loaches, adn others. The guppiers and platies may get a tad nippy (more likely the platy), but I have not had any issues at all with guppies.
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist
    Owner: Aquarium Maintenance Company
    Brian's Aquarium Care: Articles about many aspects of aquarium care.