· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Question Hi! We have an unusual aquarium

0 Not allowed!
    Hi! We moved to a new house that had a 400 gallon hot tub that no longer worked. We turned it into a large pond and it seemes that no one else we know has ever done this. But obviously don't know what we are doing cause the fish keep dying. We have a water pump and a filter and have put in plants underwater. We also put in the water treatment and bacteria stuff. Some of the fish have been fine--but we have lost about one fish per day for the last 2 weeks. They are all goldfish but mainly the silver ones have been dying. Is it normal for them to die this often? What size water pump and filter does this size aquarium need--and do you sell them? Thanks for any help you can give. TJ-- killpepper@sweetwaterhsa.com

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

have a gift for cheering me up!!! - angelcakes   It's a ribbon stand in! - Rue   for all the frog help thanks mate - angelcakes   A small gift - William   good 2 see you back - angelcakes   

0 Not allowed!
    your tub/pond needs to cycle for atleast 4 weeks befor you add fish... the water in your pond.... have you tryed testing the water with a test kit?, i dont think anyone sell filters here

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the quote - **AquaQueen**   Message for you sir! - Aeonflame   

0 Not allowed!
    Do you have testing supplies,good kits not dip strips.? A 400 gal pond,whewee!Have you kept fish before?If so what type and what is your experiance level.
    We need

PH not real imprortant for pond fish
    nitrates
    nitrites
    ammonia
    water temp
    how big is your pump and filter what type plants [not real important]
    Are they koi you put in there or just std goldys.
    Did you cycle this pond?Yes ponds need cycled.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thanks very much for helping me and sticking with me till the end. lol - squirt_12   For your new baby girl! - gm72   **Congrats On Your New Baby **  : ) - MeganL3985   Congrats!!! - Hailey   Merry Christmas :) - squirt_12   
    Autism - country_boy454   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - country_boy454   

0 Not allowed!
    Firstly, welcome to the forum! Secondly, did you cycle it? I suggest reading the Free Aquarium Book found in the left hand column under menu. Also, what size filter are you using and what bacteria stuff did you use?
    20g long 84w, fluorite, planted, 5 Habrosus Corys, MTS, pair of Clown Pleco (L104)
    20gal tall: home to 10 brevis. Letting them pair off then will put the rest into the 55.
    55g empty

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A poor sub for your Betta - Nick_Pavlovski   Here's a ram for ya - Lady Hobbs   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Carlos_x3   

0 Not allowed!
    Get some established filter media from a friend and put it in your filter.
    30g Long Planted South American BioTope Blue Rams & Apisto + Community
    Formerly Carlos_x3, RamGuy13

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

god im hungry - cocoa_pleco   You make me laugh! - Drumachine09   And lots of pizza too! lol - Chrona   wish i had some of this to drink right now - cocoa_pleco   DAAAAAM, this drink looks good - cocoa_pleco   
    Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - cocoa_pleco   Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - cocoa_pleco   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - cocoa_pleco   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - cocoa_pleco   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - cocoa_pleco   

0 Not allowed!
    how long has it been set up? sounds like it wasnt cycled

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Billy and Smaug for your responses. I guess we don't know much as the first question is about cycle--ing the pond--what is that. I have been reading up about all this and not sure what you both mean. The pond --hot-tub has been up-and running for over a month and some of the fish have lived the whole time. We had about 35 goldfish and now are down to about 24. The remaing fish seem to be lively and healthy. It seems that mostly the brown--silver goldfish have been dying and only the smaller ones. We siphoned off some of the water and dirty spots today.
    Yes we have a standerd testing ph-kit and it says everything is ok.
    I think the pump is only for a 60 gallon tank--but was told that this might be ok. The plants were sold to me as good for the pond and were sold by a pet-store owner. They seem to be thriving and healthy submerged in the water.
    Water temp is fairly warm---it has been 85 degrees during daytime and getting down to 60 or so at night.
    The fish are all goldfish.
    Thanks again so much for the help--TJ

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for your responses. I guess we don't know much as the first question is about cycle--ing the pond--what is that. I have been reading up about all this and not sure what you both mean. The pond --hot-tub has been up-and running for over a month and some of the fish have lived the whole time. We had about 35 goldfish and now are down to about 24. The remaing fish seem to be lively and healthy. It seems that mostly the brown--silver goldfish have been dying and only the smaller ones. We siphoned off some of the water and dirty spots today.
    Yes we have a standerd testing ph-kit and it says everything is ok.
    I think the pump is only for a 60 gallon tank--but was told that this might be ok. The plants were sold to me as good for the pond and were sold by a pet-store owner. They seem to be thriving and healthy submerged in the water.
    Water temp is fairly warm---it has been 85 degrees during daytime and getting down to 60 or so at night.
    The fish are all goldfish.
    Thanks again so much for the help--TJ

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Because You Need A Gift - MeganL3985   For Your Green Efforts - MeganL3985   For your great posts! - alfcea   Feliz Navidad !!! - Alfcea   Thank you for always being willing and quick to help - Gemini   

0 Not allowed!
    If the pond is 400 gal and the pump is for a 60 gal tank, then no, that is not ok. You need a filter which pumps at least 800 gal per hour.

pH might be fine, but fish produce ammonia when they breathe and poo, and the filter needs at least a month to build up the bacteria to process this toxin. These bacteria will turn ammonia into nitrite, which is also very toxic. You then get bacteria which turn nitrite into nitrate. Nitrate is harmless in small amounts, and that's when your filter is cycled and can handle the toxins produced by the fish.

So having a test kit for pH only isn't enough, you need test kits for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate as well. Get the liquid test kits, not the strips.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks mvjnz. We will look at pumps and filters for the 400 gallon situation we have and try to find the test stips you talked about. We live in a small town--so hopefully the only pet store in this county will have them. Wow-we never knew this was going to be this hard--. I wish we sould have found this site and forum earlier as you guys are the only ones who have been able to help us so far. Like I said before--a lot of the goldfish have survived--so maybe we can still save them and get everything right. Thanks again!! TJ