· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A poor sub for your Betta - Nick_Pavlovski   Here's a ram for ya - Lady Hobbs   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Carlos_x3   

Default How to cycle my g/f's tank

0 Not allowed!
    My girl was given one of these: http://www.seapets.co.uk/product-det...gory/1177.html
    We will be keeping a Betta in it and we have already set it up and it's currently running with conditioned water and the very small filter going, no source of waste yet. How can I cycle her tank? Add a piece of media from one of my tanks? If so, then how long till we can move the Betta in?
    30g Long Planted South American BioTope Blue Rams & Apisto + Community
    Formerly Carlos_x3, RamGuy13

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

god im hungry - cocoa_pleco   You make me laugh! - Drumachine09   And lots of pizza too! lol - Chrona   wish i had some of this to drink right now - cocoa_pleco   DAAAAAM, this drink looks good - cocoa_pleco   
    Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - cocoa_pleco   Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - cocoa_pleco   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - cocoa_pleco   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - cocoa_pleco   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - cocoa_pleco   

0 Not allowed!
    you can add established media and add the betta instantly, easiest way

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Carlos_x3   

0 Not allowed!
    Sweet! The filter media inside the filter is literally the size of a business card. I'm gonna have to try and fit in a piece of sponge from one of my aquaclears.

Any chance of a mini cycle after I add the media and Betta? Ammonia buold up?
    Last edited by RamGuy13; 08-02-2008 at 06:00 AM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Because You Need A Gift - MeganL3985   For Your Green Efforts - MeganL3985   For your great posts! - alfcea   Feliz Navidad !!! - Alfcea   Thank you for always being willing and quick to help - Gemini   

0 Not allowed!
    If you use established filter media in there then there will be no mini cycle, the filter media contains all the bacteria needed.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    K sank you

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    just adding another opinion to confirm that what the others said is correct. add the media and the betta and you'll b good to go.
    50g-lungfish
    30g-angelfish
    29g-planted tank, kuhli loachs, neon tetras, pleco
    20g-blue yabbie, danios
    10g-cycling for shrimp
    2g and 1g- 1 snail each

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for confirming that.

She bought and introduced the Betta today. She bought a young (very small) red dragon type Betta. I gave her some of my NLS "growth formula", will the Betta do good on that? I didn't have time today to bring her some of my established media, evrything should be could till tomorrow? I doubt a cycle will kick start over night. I'll be their with the media tomorrow.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    What other fish could she keep with the Betta in it's 5g? She really doesn't want just one fish. I keep tellin her she's asking too much out of her 5g.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Because You Need A Gift - MeganL3985   For Your Green Efforts - MeganL3985   For your great posts! - alfcea   Feliz Navidad !!! - Alfcea   Thank you for always being willing and quick to help - Gemini   

0 Not allowed!
    A couple of mystery snails would be fine in a tank that size. She could prolly get away with a very young bristlenose as well, but it would need to be rehomed as it gets bigger. But while it's young it should be fine.Just make sure the betta doesn't attack it.

They're supposed to go well with bottom dwellers, but I put a bristlenose with my betta, and I never saw him attack it, he was just nosy, but one day I found the bn covered flesh wounds with fungi in them and I moved it to a different tank but it passed away..

So you always need to keep an eye on other fish when you have a betta. Some bettas are very docile and will accept anything, while some cannot stand to have anything else in the tank.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mvjnz
    A couple of mystery snails would be fine in a tank that size. She could prolly get away with a very young bristlenose as well, but it would need to be rehomed as it gets bigger. But while it's young it should be fine.Just make sure the betta doesn't attack it.

They're supposed to go well with bottom dwellers, but I put a bristlenose with my betta, and I never saw him attack it, he was just nosy, but one day I found the bn covered flesh wounds with fungi in them and I moved it to a different tank but it passed away..

So you always need to keep an eye on other fish when you have a betta. Some bettas are very docile and will accept anything, while some cannot stand to have anything else in the tank.
    The Betta is still young and new to the tank so I want to get something in there so he can grow up with it. I was thinking some type of corys? Or livebearers?