· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Because You Need A Gift - MeganL3985   For Your Green Efforts - MeganL3985   For your great posts! - alfcea   Feliz Navidad !!! - Alfcea   Thank you for always being willing and quick to help - Gemini   

0 Not allowed!
    Are you sure the betta is young and not just a dwarf betta? Some of them never grow very big, due to some mutation.

The tank is too small for cories. I've heard of people putting salt and pepper cories in very small tanks, and they are supposed to breed in 2.5 gal tanks, but I think most people in here wouldn't recommend them.

You could try platies. That's the only livebearer I would recommend trying with a betta. Guppies tend to be seen as enemies, because they have a similar appearance, mollies are fin nippers and swordtails can occasionally be aggressive and they don't go in a tank that small anyway.

But platies occupy the same area in the tank as the betta does, so I'd get 2 at the very most. And be prepared to have to take them back to the store, in case the betta doesn't like them.

If she must have other fish, I'd definitely recommend bottom dwellers. You're in Canada so you might be able to get a couple of pitbull plecos, they stay very small and are not aggressive..

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A poor sub for your Betta - Nick_Pavlovski   Here's a ram for ya - Lady Hobbs   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Carlos_x3   

0 Not allowed!
    Here's a pic attached of her setup that she sent me. I don't think her tank is suitable for a Pleco, I was thinking some Panda Corys or Dwarfs if I could find any. Her Betta is a PetSmart Betta and it was kept with all the normal Bettas, I wanted a crowntail but it's what she wanted. I think we'll go for the platies although she'll want to pick out the most colorful fish to go with him. At one point she wanted to add another Betta with him, she says he's lonely. I try to get her not to overfeed but she keeps thinkin he's hungry cause he gobbles it all up, he's already getting a lil bloated.

Today I brought over a piece of sponge media that was very well established from my 20g. Will the Bettas waste keep the bacteria alive? Or will some die off?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (43.5 KB, 2 views)
    30g Long Planted South American BioTope Blue Rams & Apisto + Community
    Formerly Carlos_x3, RamGuy13

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A poor sub for your Betta - Nick_Pavlovski   Here's a ram for ya - Lady Hobbs   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Carlos_x3   

0 Not allowed!
    Only thing I don't like about her tank, besides the fact that it's small, is how it's very tall rather then long.
    30g Long Planted South American BioTope Blue Rams & Apisto + Community
    Formerly Carlos_x3, RamGuy13

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Because You Need A Gift - MeganL3985   For Your Green Efforts - MeganL3985   For your great posts! - alfcea   Feliz Navidad !!! - Alfcea   Thank you for always being willing and quick to help - Gemini   

0 Not allowed!
    Most bottom dwellers prefer a sandy substrate, especially cories. Part of their natural behaviour is to filter it through their gills when looking for food. If you think your tank can't support a bn I'd definitely not get a group of cories.

If she wants something other than a betta and a couple of platies she should get a bigger tank.

Also you should warn her about overfeeding, as it can kill fish.

Your filter media will be fine. Whether or not some of the bacteria will die off depends how many fish's bioload it was processing before. If it comes from a tank with a lot of fish some of the bacteria will die off, as there will not be enough ammonia and nitrites to keep them all alive.
    Last edited by Mvjnz; 08-04-2008 at 03:52 AM.