· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Question Help! My platy died!

0 Not allowed!
    My Platy unfortunately died this morning. I have 3 Platies now, all are male. Im not sure whether he died because he was sick or the other males killed him at night. All 4 were purchased yesterday. Today I will swap 2 for 2 females then buy 1 female then I will have 3 females and 1 male.

This is my first tank and want to get it right. My tank is 16L.

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the Aquatic Community Forum. Did you cycle the tank? When did you add the water & fish? Tell us a little bit about your tank and we will be able to help you.
    The only thing that happens fast in this hobby is a catastrophe.

20 Gal L cycled. 4 FT Guppies, 8 Cardinal Tetras, 2 Cory Cats & 1 Pleco.
    5 1/2 Gal Quarantine Tank..

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I just got the tank and fish yesterday. Today I will cycle the tank with some water I left to de-chlorinate.

Tank: 4.6 Gallons max water
    2 fake bushy plants
    Bare floor

I have the gravel but I will cycle the tank first then was the new gravel then i will add the gravel.

I was looking at one of my red platy and it looks like the back tail has a bit nibbed off, maybe there was some aggression or maybe it was from the store.

It's still morning here but when my parents wake up I'l tell them if we can pop in the store to trade 2 males for 2 females.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to ac! :) you have come to the right place. http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640 http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492
    Check out these two threads they will show you how to cycle your tank. Does your tank have a heater? Platys need the water to be around 76 degree F.
    Last edited by Nautilus291; 01-09-2015 at 05:52 AM.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I don't need a heater since the room temperature is already 25-30 degree C.

6. Default

4 Not allowed!
    You fish probably died from too much ammonia in the tank from the fishes poo and pee, since it isn't cycled and the good bacteria haven't had enough time to show up. If I were you I would take all of your fish back and do a fishless cycle because it is alot easier and less stressful on you and the fish. I would do a 50 to 80% water change to get some of the ammonia out of the tank to help out your other fish. Just make sure you use the de chlorinate and the water your adding to the tank is close to the same temperature as the water in the tank. If you decided to cycle the tank with fish in it you will have to do water changes every day to keep the ammonia levels down so they don't kill the fish.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    But the water is only 4 days old???
    Anyway I will put the fish in another smaller tank then do the fishless cycle. At the moment the remaining 3 fishes seem calm, I think they are still sleeping.

Awards Showcase

.`.`..`.> - korith Here's a CPD for you, thanks for your responses to my Journal :) - 1Sarah Thanks for tagging along! - Slaphppy7 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 You need more fish! - steeler58 
    Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 For a fellow tetra lover ;) - steeler58 Have another tetra in honor of your Diamond's :) - steeler58 Have another Cory! - steeler58 
    Have another Cory! - steeler58 Have another Cory! - steeler58 I like shoals. :) - Compass Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7 superbowl 2014 - cm12setx 
    Here's to the retired life! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Have another tetra just because ;-) - steeler58 Thanks for the plants! - Slaphppy7 

4 Not allowed!
    That tank (4.6g) is also really too small for 4 platys, especially if you add both sexes. They will quickly breed and over-populate the tank even more.

If you can, return the fish you now have as suggested by Nautilus291 and cycle the tank without any fish at all. Then maybe consider a couple of endler guppies - both male, or both female. These breed easily also so if you mix the sexes, you will again over-populate the tank.

Awards Showcase

Caring for the Pleco - Plecos Thanks for playing - mommy1 Thanks for playing, here's some candy for your candy bag - mommy1 Have a nice day! - Plecos More Color! - Plecos 
    Thanks for playing, here's some candy for your candy bag - mommy1 Have a tetra :) - steeler58 Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos Thanks for the moss! - hydrophile Heres a lovely little Cafe Latte for you for your great amount of help! - Guppygalore 
    you ask for one - cm12setx in memory of yours. - cm12setx T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F. - showmebutterfly Cheers! - cajunqn81 
    You need a gourami! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.T.!....cheers! - Slaphppy7 For a fellow tetra lover ;-) - steeler58 For the new fish ;-) - steeler58 

2 Not allowed!
    Yes as suggested above by Nautilus and SueD, cycling the tank using fishless cycle is safest for the fish, too many fish in tank. If you don't like guppies a tank that size is good for a beta and snail or two, or some shrimp and snails.

What kind of filter do you have?

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    A square one with a pipe that goes out and blows bubbles