· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Becuase their lots of nitrate their..

0 Not allowed!
    The fancies that are now in the 55 were in the 30 a few hours ago, it use to be their home up until now. I put a heater in it today, but now thats having trouble. good thing i didn't add the fish yet. I have the heater set at 80 and the tanks at 85 and the light is on steady.

29 gallon-planted community

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish

75 gallon mixed reef with 20 gallon sump

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom Great advice thanks - nraposa Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09 Always good answers - Lady Hobbs You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09 
    Thanks for your help again. - Lady Hobbs goodbye reptileguy....hello Fishguy - Lady Hobbs For always giving me great answere's on my PM's. Thanks for all the help! - cocoa_pleco Thanks For Your Help & Knowledge! :) - MeganL3985 For weakening me against axolotls!!!!!!! - Nick_Pavlovski 
    I am baking today and figured I'd share...Thanks for Always Helping when it's needed! - **AquaQueen** For recommending Fluvals and Stealths - Lady Hobbs Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985 Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer Thanks for the hikari help - Billythefish 
    No Message - LORENZO Merry Christmas - Northernguy merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO Merry X-Mas!! - The Red Severum 

0 Not allowed!
    The nitrifying bacteria do not need nitrate, they need ammonia and nitrite. They produce nitrate. The bacteria that would consume nitrate are denitrifying bacteria which are anaerobic and need hypoxic conditions (very little, but more than no oxygen).

It is true that if the gravel bed is inadequately maintained that debris will buildup there and as it breaks down nitrifying bacteria will consume the ammonia produced by the heterotrophic bacteria breaking down that debris. But even then that nitrifying bacteria is not really in response to the bioload of the tank, but the extra waste due to a lack of maintenance.
    Owner: Aquarium Maintenance and Pet Care Company
    Owner: Web Design Company
    Brian's Aquarium Care: Articles about many aspects of aquarium care.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    For the record, I had heard I shouldn't get a mini-cycle when changing substrates but when I switched half my tank from gravel to sand I most definitely had one. Thankfully my paranoia made me test anyway and I was able to do water changes.

0 Not allowed!
    We ended up getting 4 cory's without changing the substrate. People have had success with gravel and we couldn't find a suitable sand around here, so we went without it. So far they are doing great, they are really active and i've even seen the female betta schooling with them. I'm going to be adding 2 more in a few weeks also, the fish store only had 4 left when we bought them.

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish

Awards Showcase

Here is a cuter version for you. - smaug a cory for your latest sucess :) - graceluvsplatys Great new tank,! Hope it brings you lots of M.T.S lol - Ryuu Yay I got my first two awards! - Gemini No Message - Wild Turkey 
    No Message - Wild Turkey No Message - Wild Turkey No Message - Wild Turkey No Message - Wild Turkey No Message - Wild Turkey 
    No Message - Wild Turkey No Message - Wild Turkey No Message - Wild Turkey No Message - Wild Turkey Thanks! - Wild Turkey 
    Happy Holidays! - Wild Turkey Happy Holidays! - Northernguy Happy Holidays and thanks! - Brookfish For being nice :) - harls_aussie Enjoy! - Northernguy 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Gemini Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Gemini Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - Gemini Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Gemini Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Gemini 
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Gemini 

0 Not allowed!
    Good job on the Corys!! I have mine in pea sized gravel and they love it!! Two of them breed like nothing else so in my mind they are happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishguy2727
    I have gone over this multiple times in the past. .
    Fishguy - you didn't go over it in this topic, and many people are new and are still learning. I think you can word your post nicer as in this one you sound very short with the fact that someone dared contradict your beliefs. Maybe re reading your posts, or getting someone else to will help with how they are perceived. I know you are passionate, and as a fellow passionate person, sometimes people misconstrue passion for less nice traits.
    Edit - stupid typos!
    Fish are friends, not an expendable entertainment device!

0 Not allowed!
    they seem to be very happy. I'm glad I got them, they livened up the tank greatly

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish