· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have about 5 small (Julii and Panda mix) in my 20 long w/ live plants... In my experience with those and the ones in my other tank, it's good to have some cover for them to hide when they need some time alone. They become very active when the lights are turned off, but I'll see them roaming off and on all day. Esp when I throw in frozen treats like brine shrimp, spirilina, and blood worms.

The Juliis are my favorites.

Shrimp and snail junkie... What can I say, I like the little things in life.

0 Not allowed!
    [QUOTE=Fishguy2727]You don't have to worry about the cycle. Effectively all of the nitrifying bacteria are in the filters, not on the substrate (unless the substrate is the filter, as in undergravel filters).

I have to disagree here, the nitrifying bacteria are present on all solid surfaces in the tank, including the gravel and decor, and it is possible to cause a mini cycle with a substrate change. For some it will, for others it won't. A lot depends on the size of the filter(s) and the level of stocking.

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1

0 Not allowed!
    not yet, they are still in the 10, how long will the cycle stay good without any fish, if i get sand I'm going to get it tomorrow as it is to late tonight...actually home depot is open till 11, i know you recommend estes, but I've also read that pool sand also works (i don't mind cleaning it) and would like to do it tonight, my lfs store doesn't sell sand and petsmart is over an hour away and i won't be able to make it till late saturday.
    Last edited by labnjab; 08-01-2008 at 02:25 AM.

29 gallon-planted community

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish

75 gallon mixed reef with 20 gallon sump

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom Great advice thanks - nraposa Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09 Always good answers - Lady Hobbs You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09 
    Thanks for your help again. - Lady Hobbs goodbye reptileguy....hello Fishguy - Lady Hobbs For always giving me great answere's on my PM's. Thanks for all the help! - cocoa_pleco Thanks For Your Help & Knowledge! :) - MeganL3985 For weakening me against axolotls!!!!!!! - Nick_Pavlovski 
    I am baking today and figured I'd share...Thanks for Always Helping when it's needed! - **AquaQueen** For recommending Fluvals and Stealths - Lady Hobbs Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985 Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer Thanks for the hikari help - Billythefish 
    No Message - LORENZO Merry Christmas - Northernguy merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO Merry X-Mas!! - The Red Severum 

0 Not allowed!
    I have gone over this multiple times in the past. With adequate filtration effectively all of the nitrifying bacteria will be in the filter. They do not simply spread out evenly over all surfaces in the tank. Just like any organism, they will live where the conditions are optimal. For nitrifying bacteria the limitations are oxygen and their food (ammonia and nitrite). If there is no wet/dry filtration (Biowheel, Bioballs in a tricle system, etc.) the oxygen, just like the ammonia and nitrite, is provided with flow. Where is the most flow in the tank? In the filter. Because of this they will grow and reproduce faster here than anywhere else in the tank and effectively all of them will be here. Yes, there are traces found on every surface of the tank, but EFFECTIVELY all are in the filter and on its media.

I have moved entire setups from one tank to another multiple times. I moved all the fish and the filtration at once. I have never had any issues from doing this. If effectively all of the nitrifying bacteria were not in the filter I would have had some issues.

I think issues from changing substrates have more to do with stirring up all that nasty debris and releasing pockets of other nasty stuff than any loss of nitrifying bacteria.
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist
    Owner: Aquarium Maintenance Company
    Brian's Aquarium Care: Articles about many aspects of aquarium care.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom Great advice thanks - nraposa Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09 Always good answers - Lady Hobbs You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09 
    Thanks for your help again. - Lady Hobbs goodbye reptileguy....hello Fishguy - Lady Hobbs For always giving me great answere's on my PM's. Thanks for all the help! - cocoa_pleco Thanks For Your Help & Knowledge! :) - MeganL3985 For weakening me against axolotls!!!!!!! - Nick_Pavlovski 
    I am baking today and figured I'd share...Thanks for Always Helping when it's needed! - **AquaQueen** For recommending Fluvals and Stealths - Lady Hobbs Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985 Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer Thanks for the hikari help - Billythefish 
    No Message - LORENZO Merry Christmas - Northernguy merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO Merry X-Mas!! - The Red Severum 

0 Not allowed!
    Did you fishless cycle?

Good luck with whatever sand you choose. The Estes' is the only one I am comfortable putting in my tanks. Many have good luck with other types, but many others have not been as lucky. It sounds like pool filter sands seem to be the best bet with non-aquarium sands.
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist

0 Not allowed!
    We just removed goldfish from it a few hours ago.

29 gallon-planted community

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish

75 gallon mixed reef with 20 gallon sump

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I love corys!!! I have a group of green corys and they are really very cool!! They do like some place to hide, I have a piece of slate that is propped up giving them space to get underneath of it and they do spend a lot of time there. But I tend to feed them more in the day time, so they do come out to eat then. They are such characters really, very cute, and IMO, entertaining to watch as well!! Good luck with whatever type of cory you decide upon, I'm sure you'll love them even more once you get a group!!
    ***Pamela***

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Did you use the feeders or fancies?
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    IMO I think equal amounts of bacteria are in the gravel as in the filter. So when swithcing substrate you should put the old stuff in a container and keep it in their long enough for the bacteria to settle in the new stuff..

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    What is that based on?

I don't mean to be rude but why would they live there, in the low flow gravel and not in the high flow and more favorable filter?
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist