· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default So I just started my first saltwater tank last night. Help???

0 Not allowed!
    Ok so I finally decided to give it a try. My current aquarium is a 29 gallon. I have the Cascade 1000 canister filter, Crushed corral that came in a bag with salt water in it saying it had all the good bio already in it, and some decor from petsmart. I used treated tap water and instant ocean salt. Filter media is just foam filters with a chemi-pure media bag. I just bought 3 assorted damsels and two crabs today to cycle the tank. Is tap water gonna be a problem? What temp should I keep the tank at? Do you use bubbles in a salt tank to add O2? Anything would help thanks.

Shot with DSC-N2 at 2008-07-30

Last edited by mxman311; 07-30-2008 at 11:01 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Big no no! You didn't cycle your tank!! Best way to cycle is w/o fish and that is by placing even small amounts as in like 5 lbs of LR in the tank to cycle it.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985   Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer   right back at ya bud, Merry X-mas - Kuli_Loach   Drive your very own subway home for christmas! - Matt23   Have a drink on me - Dave66   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - OscarFan   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - OscarFan   

0 Not allowed!
    You also need a powerhead...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your first gift is from me - Lady Hobbs   Welcome to the SW club - Drumachine09   Thanks for linking to AC - Lady Hobbs   Have a cold one, You've given a lot of good advice. - coachfraley   Merry Christmas :) - squirt_12   
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - unleashed   Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - unleashed   

0 Not allowed!
    How much research did you do?

What decor do you have? If it is artificial, then it is no use. You need Live Rock or dead base rock. You should not have added fish or crabs into the tanks. The fish are going to fight and 29g is too small for them. What species of crab did you add.

Bubbles in a saltwater tank are bad. You need surface agitation and current created by power heads. Tap water will be ok depending on how clean it is. It is best to use RO/DI water though as this is extremely pure.

Get rid of the foam filters and chemi-cure media bag. These will cause more problems in the long run. Also, get rid of the canister filter and buy a protein skimmer and Live Rock. These will be your filters

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Well it seems I didnt do enough research. Although I am making several mistakes I havent had anybody die yet. I went to water and ice today and got two 5 gallon jugs of ro water for my water change i plan on doing sunday. I am thinking if i keep up on water changes I should be ok? I plan to add 20 lbs of Fiji live rock saturday. I will buy the cured rock to try to avoid a bad cycle. The only reason I added fish already is to start the cycle. I am sure I may loose one or two but I had to cycle some how. You dont think I should use the Cascade 1000 canister filter? Why?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    What kind of lighting should I run. Cheap!! Like just a lamp replacment.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Other(more distant) Ohio buddy! - AABatteries   You get one anyway! Thanks - Wild Turkey   For all the gifts you are making! - William   Great gift contributions! - Northernguy   thanks for the gifts - William   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - BowlerGT   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - BowlerGT   

0 Not allowed!
    Is that a real anemone in that picture?
    55 Gallon Freshwater

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Tanks for sharing our hobby - Boertjie   Congrats on new tank and severum - Lady Hobbs   for rescuing the betta! - cocoa_pleco   For being my life partner - Boertjie   for being so good to our underwater friends! - ladyoutlaw50   
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Gemstone   

0 Not allowed!
    ai jai jai jai jai jai jai........poor fish.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Yes. I know I shouldnt have bought anything. Too late now though. All I can do is try to save what I have messed up. I need some lighting

Latest gifts & ribbons:

have a blue tang! - cocoa_pleco   merry xmas - Fish4Fun   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Fish4Fun   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Fish4Fun   

Default Blind to the Blinder...

0 Not allowed!
    Gday Mate , Just started myself but had the fortune of an experienced owner to assist. Pics in the gallery.. Mate if you need to add fish I was told to start with Black Mollys ( tropical fish ) as they are hardy enough to survive the Salt. Use a base of Dead rock and add some Live Rock to it and slowly shape the desired outcome ( caves , Bombys etc) have a squiz at some of the gallery set ups to gain ideas. I would remove the fish and critters you have and RTN to pet shop and ask them to hold them for you or ask for a credit. Lighting is not cheap if you want results. E BAy my friend... Halide lamps . About 300 nicker for what you desire. Stuff it reply to my blog mate.. Happy to help....Good luck.. Can anyone else suggest any more ....