· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom   Great advice thanks - nraposa   Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09   Always good answers - Lady Hobbs   You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09   

0 Not allowed!
    I started with and suggest starting with "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Saltwater Aquariums". After you have read it cover to cover go on to more advanced books.

You do not need metal halides on such a small tank. They would burn up most corals and will heat the water up severely. T5s will do the job no problem.

A protien skimmer and flow are the best options.

Anyone notice only two of those are damsels, the other is a clownfish?

If you find live rock that is truly pre-cured and tranport it home submerged it will still be good. If you transport it home just moist the way most places pack it for you it will de-cure/un-cure (?) on the way home because of the lack of water (these are aquatic animals after all).

Some tapwater is fine, you don't necessarily need to use RO. Mine has 0 phosphates and without adding any calcium, the calcium level in the tank is 450 with a very high KH.
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist and Published Author in Multiple Aquarium Magazines
    Owner: Aquarium Maintenance Company
    Advanced Aquarium Concepts: Articles about many aspects of aquarium care.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    You act as if you don't care what we say, you are going to do it your way. We are worried about your livestock! They are not in very good of conditions right now and will most likely die. I hate to sound rude but I am just telling you the facts. I am done on trying to help you if you won't listen to us. We are trying to help.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    All my livestock is going to a friends house Saturday. As for the canister I am going to take all the media out of if and just use it to move the water around the tank. I bought 3 pieces of live rock today that I am going to use to cycle the tank instead of fish. I am going to drain the tank in the morning after my friend picks up my fish. I dont have the money for a new powerhead right now so the canister will just have to do for now. I will be filling the tank with RO water this time. Here are a couple pics of the new live rock I got today. Two of them are dead corals that they said will work just like live rock. They are both all purple on the bottom. I thought they would look nice in the tank as well.

Shot with DSC-N2 at 2008-08-01

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    What power head should I be looking at for this tank?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Hope he isnt dead.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

you need a gift...keep up all of the good work....  :) - squirt_12   For keeping a cool head! - coachfraley   to the SW expert! - cocoa_pleco   a fish for your 90g. - squirt_12   for your awesome 90g! - squirt_12   
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - spudbuds   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mxman311
    What power head should I be looking at for this tank?
    Maxi-Jets are good and reliable. Hydor Koralia's are also good. A little more expensive, but provide a more powerful dispersed flow. The amount of flow you need will be determined by the types of coral you want to keep. For now, just get one in there while the tank is cycling. The water needs to be flowing around the rock for the filtration to work best.

Good to see you are taking the advice you are getting. Take it slow and keep learning and you'll have a nice tank in the end. Keep the questions coming.

- Bill
    90G Reef Build Thread

90 Gallon Reef: Ocellaris Clowns, Midas Blenny, Ignitus Anthias, Various inverts
    20 Gallon SW Quarantine: Exquisite Wrasse
    10 Gallon SW Quarantine: Empty
    55 Gallon Community: Neon Tetras, Gold Neon Tetras, GloFish, Corydoras (paleatus & trilineatus), Otocinclus, Mollies, Platies, Apple Snails
    5 Gallon: Crowntail Betta, African Dwarf Frog

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need some presents - Lady Hobbs   wake up with coffee - Lady Hobbs   Cause I love myself,lol. - oldhead   Because you always have good advice! - Alfcea   saltwater fish for ya - Lady Hobbs   

Talking

0 Not allowed!
    Good choice to start over with everything, I have no doubt that you'll be happier with the tank in the long run. Just take your time and ask as many questions as you need to to get things right. And as mentioned earlier, research and then research some more. There's an old addage that most people here live by and that is, "Nothing good happens fast in a SW tank.". Keep that in mind as you go along making decisions with the tank. As far as getting rid of the canister filter right away some are for it I personally am not. Canister filters can be beneficial to the tank so long as they are kept up on. Meaning you have to make sure the media is changed regurlarly and often. I run a canister on mine and have no detectable issues with it, I test my water almost daily. And I'm sure to change the media frequently. Anyways, good luck with the set up and welcome to the forums here. We're all here to help and share with eachother so let us know how things go.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Ok so im ready to start the tear down. What do I do with the live sand? Should I leave a little water in the tank so It doesnt die? Same question for the live rock? I currently have the api 5 in one test strips, and the api ammon test kit. I will use this to monitor the cycle. Where do I want my PH levels?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

god im hungry - cocoa_pleco   You make me laugh! - Drumachine09   And lots of pizza too! lol - Chrona   wish i had some of this to drink right now - cocoa_pleco   DAAAAAM, this drink looks good - cocoa_pleco   
    Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - cocoa_pleco   Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - cocoa_pleco   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - cocoa_pleco   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - cocoa_pleco   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - cocoa_pleco   

0 Not allowed!
    you want your PH at bare minimum 7.9, and ideally 8.2ish. you can leave the live sand and rock in a bucket with a powerhead and small light.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Ok I think that I have all my cycle problems handled. My friend that came and got my fish decided to help me out. He gave me 30 pounds of live rock that is all purple and healthy that has been in a 800 gallon reef tank for 5 years. It looks really good. He also gave me 50 gallons right out of his tank and he uses only ro water. I drained my tank cleaned my cascade 1000 and removed all the filter media. except the sponge. I put all the live rock and water from his tank in mine. He also gave me my fish back!! We tasted my water today and it is perfect!!! Here are some pics of what it looks like now. What do you think?

Shot with DSC-N2 at 2008-08-03

Last edited by mxman311; 08-03-2008 at 11:14 PM.