· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your first gift is from me - Lady Hobbs   Welcome to the SW club - Drumachine09   Thanks for linking to AC - Lady Hobbs   Have a cold one, You've given a lot of good advice. - coachfraley   Merry Christmas :) - squirt_12   
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - unleashed   Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - unleashed   

0 Not allowed!
    I would for about 40 lbs of Live Rock. With regards to the canister filter, you do not need it. All you need is a protein skimmer and live rock. The canister filter will most likely leach out nitrite/nitrate which are both not healthy for fish/inverts

If you want corals/anemones, you need AT LEAST 150 watt metal halide (or equivalent in T5HO) lighting. Get rid of the ornaments. They are just going to get covered in algae and look bad.

Also, take the fish back to the store. It is imperative in a tank that size the multiple damsels are not added together as these are highly territorial fish. If that is a real anemone, take that back as well. It will most likely be dead in a month. They need mature tanks which are at least 6 months old and have very good lighting.

You can also cycle the tank with just a piece of shrimp or mussel. This is much better than using fish to cycle. Also, I find it fairly inhumane to treat fish in such as way.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need some presents - Lady Hobbs   wake up with coffee - Lady Hobbs   Cause I love myself,lol. - oldhead   Because you always have good advice! - Alfcea   saltwater fish for ya - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry that you had to find out the hard way about all this stuff. Research is key in a hobby like this though, especially in the SW area. What I'm about to say is going to suck but will net you a healthier tank and will make you ultimately happier with your decision to go SW. Now with that being said..... tear it all down and start over, take the fish back to the store and drain the tank. Start fresh with the items that you'll need to truly establish a cycle and purchase the proper items (Live rock, powerheads,test kits, so forth and so on). You can go for a little while without a skimmer but you should get one. We'll all support you in any questions you have, this way you can get it done right. Your tank is currently on the road to disaster, it just hasn't happened yet....

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For SW enthusiasm - NOT skipping class! - Rue   for the bubby goldfish - arkie   in commemoration of you babies. - Gemstone   Have a gift!! - Tolley   Congratulations on your photo award! - fins_n_fur   
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Halelorf   

0 Not allowed!
    I would follow all the advice given above and I highly suggest you find the book 'The New Marine Aquarium' by Michael Paletta. It will explain why you should use live rock and certain equipment and give you a good run down on how to setup your tank. If you don't i'm afraid that tank is most certainly going to crash sometime soon.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A gift for you - Tolley   for your loss - ladyoutlaw50   
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - GouramiGal   

0 Not allowed!
    Keep in mind no one here is calling you a bad person! Everyone makes mistakes and the folks here are just giving you advice on how to set things straight. And they will encourage you every step of the way, really! So keep us posted and let us know how we can help.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here ya go. - Tigerbarb   A little something for a friend!! - Patriot   Thanks for being there! - NickFish   have a gift - mitcore   :D - harls_aussie   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by unleashed
    I would for about 40 lbs of Live Rock. With regards to the canister filter, you do not need it. All you need is a protein skimmer and live rock. The canister filter will most likely leach out nitrite/nitrate which are both not healthy for fish/inverts

20 lbs of fiji live rock will be fine, you might want to add some base rock to make the tank look 'fuller'.

If you want corals/anemones, you need AT LEAST 150 watt metal halide (or equivalent in T5HO) lighting. Get rid of the ornaments. They are just going to get covered in algae and look bad.

I would agree about the ornaments. If you like them alot, I'd look for some pourous dead coral skeletons, as those might become live rock in time, and they look a little more natrual. Do not buy them new, though, as their harvest is opposed by many marine biologists for a reason.

Also, take the fish back to the store. It is imperative in a tank that size the multiple damsels are not added together as these are highly territorial fish. If that is a real anemone, take that back as well. It will most likely be dead in a month. They need mature tanks which are at least 6 months old and have very good lighting.

You could ask your lfs to hold the anemone for you, until you get the lighting you need and the established system you will have in months.

You can also cycle the tank with just a piece of shrimp or mussel. This is much better than using fish to cycle. Also, I find it fairly inhumane to treat fish in such as way.
    I agree on it seeming inhumane to cycle a marine tank with fish. Mxman did add live sand, though, which should help. [/quote]
    Last edited by Tigerbarb; 07-31-2008 at 02:01 PM.
    "Everybody knows, you only live a day, but it's brilliant anyway..."
    Elliott smith

20g nano reef
    55g FOWLR saltwater
    29g planted freshwater
    10g planted freshwater

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985   Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer   right back at ya bud, Merry X-mas - Kuli_Loach   Drive your very own subway home for christmas! - Matt23   Have a drink on me - Dave66   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - OscarFan   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - OscarFan   

0 Not allowed!
    I dont think you need to tear it down completely. Return all of the live stuff(not the sand) and get some LR and equipment mentioned above.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Yea I agree with all the above. You just got hit to late. That is what research is for but we can lecture all we want, what's done is done. The best thing to do is start over, take all your live stock back to the LFS and ask them to keep it or take it back for store credit. Next thing to do is get some powerheads and a protein skimmer. Then get you some LR in there. I recommend Sea Life Inc. You will have hours of fun staring at the hitch hikers you receive and it will cycle your tank. While your waiting for it to cycle try and get you a light. Aqua Traders has some good deals.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need some presents - Lady Hobbs   wake up with coffee - Lady Hobbs   Cause I love myself,lol. - oldhead   Because you always have good advice! - Alfcea   saltwater fish for ya - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    I don't think that a tear down could hurt though, especially in terms of the water. I'm a fan of RO after dealing with the tap water here and just personally feel that it would be a better idea for him to start out with it as opposed to what may or may not be coming from his tap. There's quite a few things in that tank that he could do without as far as the plastic decorations and the fish anyhow. A simple tear down would just be a route that I'd be inclined to do in my personal opinion. And I'm also wondering how the salt was mixed and in what proportion to the water. Sorry if I'm seeming extreme in my reponses. I'd just perfer to see people be happy with their investment if I can help it.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I mixed the water in a 5 gallon water jug. I just measured out 2 1/2 cups instant ocean salt and used my hydrometer to get the salt level at 1.22. From now on when I do water changes I will only use RO water as everybody I talk to says thats the best way. I dont want to take the fish back to the store so I am trying to keep a eye on my ammonia levels. So far it has stayed at 0. I did however buy a small 2 pound live rock. The rock has been curred already and I plan to add more as soon as I feel like spending all that money. I also changed my light to a 50/50 bulb from coral life. Seems to have made everybody happy and cleared up the water a little as well. Some of you say that I should stop using a canister filter? Why? Would it be ok to take the media out of the filter and put small pieces of live rock in there? I dont want to have to spend more money on a power head so I figure I could just use the canister filter to move water around and put the live rock inside to act as the filter media? Will that work? Thanx for the help. I cant seem to say out of the aquarium stores these days! I will post pics of the new live rock when I get home from work today. I plane to buy another 5 pounds on the way home.

Shot at 2008-08-01
    Last edited by mxman311; 08-01-2008 at 07:20 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your first gift is from me - Lady Hobbs   Welcome to the SW club - Drumachine09   Thanks for linking to AC - Lady Hobbs   Have a cold one, You've given a lot of good advice. - coachfraley   Merry Christmas :) - squirt_12   
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - unleashed   Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - unleashed   

0 Not allowed!
    that anemone will most likely die as your tank is still too young and lighting is not powerful enough.

The main thing with canister filters is that they can do more harm than good. Even with LR rubble inside.

Simple plan:

1. Take all livestock back
    2. Get rid of all of the ornaments are replace with 30-50 lbs of live rock
    3. Get rid of the canister filter and replace with a protein skimmer and powers heads. These are essential for the health of your animals
    3. But all the necessary test kits (ammonia, pH, nitrite, nitrate, alkalinity and magnesium and calcium if you want corals
    4. Test water daily for a week. If water is fine, add ONE small fish (preferably not a damsel as these will get very aggressive in that size tank)
    5. Start to plan your future additions very carefully.
    6. RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH - three things that you can never do enough of.

Also, I would invest in a refractometer as these a very accurate in telling you your salinity level
    Last edited by unleashed; 08-01-2008 at 08:43 PM.