· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Tanks for sharing our hobby - Boertjie   Congrats on new tank and severum - Lady Hobbs   for rescuing the betta! - cocoa_pleco   For being my life partner - Boertjie   for being so good to our underwater friends! - ladyoutlaw50   
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Gemstone   

Default Attacked by a betta..

0 Not allowed!
    Ha!!...Sooo...being a good fish keeper I do the water change and gravel vac thing etc once a week...now having so many tanks...one tends to skimp here and there...(wrong of me I know...but really!!!)...

The tank in which ROdriguez and his lady love are at present, is actually overstocked and will have to stay that way till THE MOVE...Rodriguez is the betta we bought (unplanned I might add) because he was looking really down and out an ill in his cup at the pet shop....and has since become a beautiful specimen...and really full of himself...even attacking the hubby...

Now..to get to the storey...I decided to gravel vac this particular tank...and ROdriguez...being in a largish breeding net...took up too much space..

I cought him in a cup and plonked him into a container where he had to stay for the duration of the cleanup...an d then he was promptly put back into his net... (his lady love was in the tank with the rest of the fish during this period and besides herself with worry...this was indicated by the fact that she had turned a sickly greyish colour...which promptly went back to cherry red when her love was reunited with her in the tank)...

To reward all the fishies in the tank for suffering in silence and allowing me to invade and springclean their home, I gave them a jolly good feed....AND RODRIGUEZ JUMPED OUT OF THE WATER AND SNAPPED AT ME!!!!

He snapped...I tell you...snapped!!! If he was a big fish he would have had a chunk outta me...and this from a betta who normally eats right outta my hand!!!

Goes to show...you are welcome to visite...anytime, especially when you are bringing the food.....but dont ever outstay your welcome!!!!

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Haha, that's a game my betta and I also play. He likes to feel like he is hunting flies on the top of the water, so I will hover my finger over the water and he will jump up and try to get the "fly" (my finger).

Then I give him a blood worm and he probably thinks he is the best hunter in the whole world!

Your fish must also want to feel like a great hunter. :)
    Aquarium: 2.5 gallon glass, mesh lid, Hydor mini heater, Whisper 3i filter
    Water: BettaSafe water conditioner, Nutrafin Plant Gro, 0.25 tsp/gal aquarium salt, temp 78-80F, pH 7.2, ammonia 0ppm, nitrite 0ppm, nitrate 5-20ppm
    Living creatures: Java ferns rooted on driftwood, several small trumpet snails, male veiltail betta

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default jumping

0 Not allowed!
    What people forget is that Bettas like to Jump. In the natural enviorment they usually have to jump to get bugs. I have several girls who love to jump for their food. It makes them feel that they get it first.
    Just be carefull to put the lid back on the tank after feeding, I have lost several becease they have jumped out of the tank.
    Bettas are great though aren't they.
    They each have their own personality.
    Catherine

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

tribute to digga r.i.p - angelcakes   Your Awesome! - Tolley   happy easter to me........LOL - angelcakes   Thank you for the nomination and sorry for the fishy - Billythefish   Probably the nicest members on the forum... - Goshawk   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - angelcakes   HIV/AIDS - angelcakes   

0 Not allowed!
    i have jumping bettas to........i also hover my finger over the top and watch them go, at least the bite dont hurt
    angelcakes (penny)
    "The big fish eats the small one."
    -- Sephardic saying

chat link
    http://theaquaticlounge.chatango.com/

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

you looked a little bare - Algenco   I enjoy reading your threads/posts! :) - MeganL3985   In memory of Mindi - crackatinny   Goodluck with your paper :) - MeganL3985   Always a very nice poster - Lady Hobbs   
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - ladyoutlaw50   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - ladyoutlaw50   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - ladyoutlaw50   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - ladyoutlaw50   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - ladyoutlaw50   

0 Not allowed!
    That is too funny that you mention that -- just last night when the bf was feeding all his bettas -- the newest one jumped right up and tried to get at the food in his hand!! I heard him scream!! way too funny -- we laughed for a good half hour!! LOL
    Kim

"Say what you mean and
    Mean what you say"

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a gift! Thank you for all your great posts =D - Ryuu   

0 Not allowed!
    Lol.. bettas are very eager eaters arent they?

@angelcakes, If you've ever got bitten by a real fighter plakat betta you won't be very happy =D. I had a bit of my index finger skin ripped and bleed with just one bite from a champion fighter
    Cheerz.
    Ed

40 Gallon (AC110, AC70, AC20 & a sponge filter):
    1x female betta
    1x Albino BN
    2x Albino corydoras
    3x Panda corydoras
    8x H.Rasboras
    3x Dwarf gourami (powder-blue var)
    1x Male A.Cacatoides
    2x unsexed juvie A.Aggassizi
    2x unsexed juvie A.Borelli
    3x Peacock gudgeon (1m, 2f)

10 Gallon:
    6x North Australian Chameleon Shrimps (Cardina sp?)
    10 Gallon:
    20+ Cherry shrimps

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Time for a slushie! - Rue   CHILL OUT! - Lady Hobbs   Thank You - MeganL3985   happy belated birthday - angelcakes   for giving me a gift - troy   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Bolivian Ram   

0 Not allowed!
    Lol, kind of liek the saying, fish start to smell after a few days. Aka Dont overstay your welcome lol
    My Current Aquariums

20 gallon, Two blue gouramis, One Danios, Two albino coreys and five red guarres.
    75 gallon mbuna tank, Four yellow labs, Four rusty cichlids, One red zebras, pair of Eureka peacocks
    10 gallon planted- Six Caridnal tetras,
    another 10 gallon, and newts

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for caring for the fishies - Gemstone   thanx for the rep points! - KrytterKrys   

0 Not allowed!
    wow Gem I guess you know for next time you are allowed to feed but not to hang out.... LOL They are so funny. I guess if he was much bigger it might not have been funny but him being small its a little funny.
    "Aerodynamically, the bumblebee shouldn’t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn’t know it so it goes on flying anyway." ~~~ Mary Kay Ash

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to AC. - Lady Hobbs   Thanks for the kind words. - William   Ya scared the S outta me - Lady Hobbs   'cos ure special.... - Gemstone   for being so nice to our underwater friends - ladyoutlaw50   
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Boertjie   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Boertjie   

0 Not allowed!
    I wonder what would happen if you cross the Betta with a piranha....
    There may be plenty of fish in the sea, but there is only one in my pond.....

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Tanks for sharing our hobby - Boertjie   Congrats on new tank and severum - Lady Hobbs   for rescuing the betta! - cocoa_pleco   For being my life partner - Boertjie   for being so good to our underwater friends! - ladyoutlaw50   
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Gemstone   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boertjie
    I wonder what would happen if you cross the Betta with a piranha....

sooooo *raises left eyebrow...* we are NOT going to be doing ANY crossbreeding....are we.........