· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    We got 3 chain loaches a while back- unfortunately they brought ick with them- two died and a few other fish in the tank died from it as well. But one loach survived and he has become the Grim Reaper of snails. He finished off the last of the snails in the tank at the time, and is single-handedly restraining a population explosion of ramshorn snails that came out of nowhere.

We got a little dwarf chain loach the other day, probably will come out of quarantine and go into the tank tomorrow.

Since his two buddies died he seems to hang around with the siamese fox a bit. Hopefully he'll get along with the new guy too.

Water is low 7's PH, 4 KH, fairly hard at about 9 GH, but he seems quite comfy.

Greg

Awards Showcase

A neon for your tank! There were no platys. lol - Northernguy Thanks for the help with those zombies - Northernguy Right on. - Wild Turkey Congrats on your award! - Brookfish you need more gifts! - The Red Severum 
    I hope your nose is okay! :) - invadertoast Thanks for the PM - William Official Muskateer Symbol - The Red Severum BEST MAFIA PLAYER MAFIA 1.0 - The Red Severum FUNNIEST POSTER MAFIA 1.0 - The Red Severum 
    thanks - mommy1 MAFIA 2.0 Thanks for playing! - The Red Severum Kaz: Supreme Predictor - robflanker congratulations for your awards - mommy1 thanks for the game - mommy1 
    Fun game! - KingFisher I just won the lottery! - Lab_Rat Have a pig - Agassizii for being a good guy - The Red Severum congratulations! - KingFisher 

0 Not allowed!
    Before I had intended to keep kuhlis but it seems like I won't have enough space for 6.
    And my PH is a little on the high side.
    And by a little I mean 7.5
    SIX OR MORE MAN TO THE RESCUE!

0 Not allowed!
    Firstly, great and informative sticky! kudos

So I know clown loaches need a large tank as they get really big. But I'm not sure I've ever seen a true definition of 'big' tank.

Thus, my question is how big of a tank will 3 clown loaches will they need? I am planning a 55g tank and would 3 clown loaches but wanna make sure I give them a good home but am not sure how long they'd be ok in it.

Thanks
    30g - Planted - need to do some serious rethinking
    20g - planning
    MS-II

0 Not allowed!
    I say they could live in there up to 2 years, depending on what size you get them at..

0 Not allowed!
    Yep. If you get them as babies they could last quite a while in there, as once they hit five inches they slow down their growth rate.
    the statement below is false
    the statement above is true
    which one is true?
    Got a small tank? Check out Fishalicious' small fish list! http://fishaliciousfish.blogspot.com...-for-nano.html
    Got a big fish you just can't handle? Check out Monster Fish Rescue! http://www.monsterfishrescue.com/

0 Not allowed!
    Hmm ok. I'll have to think about it.

Thanks for the replies Red Severum and Oscar
    20g - planning
    MS-II

0 Not allowed!
    Rob,
    Loaches do best, meaning they live much longer, in groups of six or more, so in a 55, were I you, I'd get a species with a much smaller adult size than clown loaches. You could have up to a dozen Botia Striata or two dozen Yasuhikotakia sidthimunki in a very well planted 55 gallon, but of course the tank would have to be well established and dead stable before you tried those numbers. And, of course, you'd build your group by adding three every other week to prevent an ammonia rebound by adding too many at once.

Dave

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Dave - i'll have a look at the two species you mentioned. This is all in the early planning stage but I wanted to get a feel for what I can have. I haven't ventured into planting yet, but plan to in the future.
    20g - planning
    MS-II

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by robflanker
    Thanks Dave - i'll have a look at the two species you mentioned. This is all in the early planning stage but I wanted to get a feel for what I can have. I haven't ventured into planting yet, but plan to in the future.
    Do any of you know of anyone that has had any luck at breeding Clown loachs.I just resently put 5 young 2" Clowns in a 135g. with lots of large wood and plants. Water is 3dh - 6.5ph. That is about all I knew to do until I read the primer. Good stuff!

Awards Showcase

Wishing You the Very Best for the New Year!!! - Jill Happy New year - Celtic Fins Happy new year! - Brookfish happy new year! - The Red Severum All Sailors love coffee - jbeining75 
    Sailor - Brookfish cheers bud! - Crispy Happy Birthday bud! - Brookfish thanks for the rep! - Lab_Rat congrats on motm - Lab_Rat 
    Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the nomination - Cliff Merry X-mass, and thanks for all of your help this past year, both here and at the store - Cliff No Message - cer Thanks for the rep - Cliff 
    thanks for the betta :D - Cyberra Happy Birthday - KingFisher thanks for the rep:) Zebra pleco for you! - Northerly Merry Christmas - Cliff Just a Thanks! - Plecos 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - sailor Autism - sailor 

0 Not allowed!
    I don't how I missed a Dave Primer......as usuall pure greatness. Thanks Dave
    Sailor

Aye Aye