· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Cant do it

1. Default Cant do it

0 Not allowed!
    Ok I was really thinking of putting our ( my sons ) 2 goldies in a pond but I cant help but worry about the wild kitties and birds and also we would have to either have them in full sun or full shade and this doesnt seem right. I would worry all the time about them. So I think the pond is out and I think I am just going to upgrade to at least a 35 gallon for them and let them be happy were I dont have to worry so much about them. But I have a question is there anything that can go in there like clean up crew..? I know the helpers at petco said that something but I cant remember the name it was a long skinny light orange/ yellow fish could go in there for clean up. I cant trust them though because they have given me such bad advice. Anything you all can add best size tank, gravel?, decor, plants. They seem very happy right now but I want them to be the happiest.... Thank you all.
    "Aerodynamically, the bumblebee shouldn’t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn’t know it so it goes on flying anyway." ~~~ Mary Kay Ash

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    For the most part goldies should be kept by themselves because they are a coldwater fish. I wouldn't put tropicals in a tank with them because either the water temp will be off for the trops or the golds or one of them will get harrassed. Get some sand for your substrate and you will see waste very easy, and a quick water change every week or two will be all the cleaning needed. You really don't need a cleaner fish in there.

0 Not allowed!
    If they are common goldfish they will need a larger tank--more like a 55 or so. They can get very large.

Don't mix tropicals and goldfish. However, the fish you describe sounds like a gold dojo loach. They are simply awesome fish, I have 2 myself.

Remember that goldfish are very dirty fish and will need a lot of filtration and weekly water changes.

With 2 goldfish I would have a 55 gallon tank with a canister like an Eheim 2028 or a HOB like the AC 110.

EDIT: I do want to add that introducing non-native fish into a pond is absolutely a bad idea, so I am glad to hear you are not going to do that.
    8 tanks running now:
    1x 220 gallon, 2x55 gallon, 1x40 gallon long, 1x29 gallon, 1x20 gallon long, 1x5.5 gallon, 1x2 gallon
    Gouramis, barbs, rasboras, plecos, corys, tetras, fancy guppies, swordtails, ottos, rainbow shark, upside-down catfish, snails, and Max and Sparkles the bettas.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    just remember loaches need to be in groups ! I'm sure your goldies will love their new home!
    Jade
    125 gal- chromobotia macracanthus, Baryancistrus beggini(L239)
    60 gal - planning for (tentatively) Celestial pearl danios and a pseudacanthicus cf. leopardus (L-114) - pterygoplichthys disjunctivus (needs a new home!)
    20 gal - pangio kuhlii
    10 gal Q tank
    Counting the YEARS to get my 200 gal!!

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, good clarification on grouping the loaches.
    8 tanks running now:
    1x 220 gallon, 2x55 gallon, 1x40 gallon long, 1x29 gallon, 1x20 gallon long, 1x5.5 gallon, 1x2 gallon
    Gouramis, barbs, rasboras, plecos, corys, tetras, fancy guppies, swordtails, ottos, rainbow shark, upside-down catfish, snails, and Max and Sparkles the bettas.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yea I wasnt sure what there were and I wouldnt mix tropicals with my goldies thats why I came to you all to find the real scoop because I have been given such bad advice from Petsmart. So thank you all for your help and info..
    gm I wasnt going to put them in any pond I was going to build one outside in our yard just from them. I just wanted you to know I would never do that. LOL
    "Aerodynamically, the bumblebee shouldn’t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn’t know it so it goes on flying anyway." ~~~ Mary Kay Ash

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by funnyfish
    gm I wasnt going to put them in any pond I was going to build one outside in our yard just from them. I just wanted you to know I would never do that. LOL
    Great clarification, thanks a lot. I'd definitely use that for an excuse to build a pond!
    8 tanks running now:

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Lol I know but I am too worried about them so I cant ....I just didnt want you or anyone else think I would do that.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    They'll be fine in a pond in full shade. Just get some kind of netting to go over the pond, it will protect them from cats and birds. That's what most people do, only people who are little bit stupid do nothing to protect their ponds from predators..

Awards Showcase

Tanks for sharing our hobby - Boertjie Congrats on new tank and severum - Lady Hobbs for rescuing the betta! - cocoa_pleco For being my life partner - Boertjie for being so good to our underwater friends! - ladyoutlaw50 
    For your new tank - donvichu I love you - Boertjie My fish in my pond..... - Boertjie You have my heart - Boertjie You are my treasure - Boertjie 
    Supermama - for the queen of fry x - Fishalicious Pumping love for you - Boertjie Just because :) - SkinnyChicken Sorry about Roger - Boertjie Sorry for the loss of Roger! - Fishalicious 
    a toast to your new home - Lady Hobbs here's to the new home! - ladyoutlaw50 Love you - Boertjie Love - Boertjie I love you. - Boertjie 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Gemstone 

0 Not allowed!
    water lillies....even if they are the fake floating variety...in a pond also supplies protection as well as some shade...if a part is of the pond is nice and deep...they will go there if it gets too warm...and if a part is nice and shallow..they will go there if it gets too cold....